So I have an old acoustic and me and some friends were thinking of bringing acoustic guitars and hopefully a bass on a campout. Problem is, if I want to do ANY high notes (like 12th fret or above with index finger, 15th fret with pinky) I'm not familiar enough with acoustics to figure it out. Flame all you want but it's just a simple question. How do i reach those notes? Or is it just not meant to be?
Last edited by nolifeXD at Mar 25, 2009,
Yeah i think it is but I was just hoping i was being an idiot as usual. Thanks J.
Quote by JTruex
If you can't reach past the 12th fret, it is probly because the guitar is a dreadnought design, so it really isn't meant to be.

Umm... usually you can reach up to 14th fret(the 14 frets open design is more common nowadays). It's not that it's a dreadnought design, per se, but because if you had any more than 14 open frets and a full body design, the neck would be hard to reach. Of course you can reach higher than 14 frets if you have a cutaway... but yeah.

In the beginning, steel string acoustic guitars usually had 12 open frets and were parlour sized. Over the years they've gotten bigger and bigger and expanded to a more widely adopted 14 fret design. Classical guitars still traditionally have 12 open frets though.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Thanks captivate. Remember though this sucker is ooooold. Like older than me probably. Thanks for the history though.
Quote by nolifeXD
Thanks captivate. Remember though this sucker is ooooold. Like older than me probably. Thanks for the history though.

It's 7 years old?