Hey all! I'm planning on buying on buying an amp, probably off of ebay, and was interested in either the Mesa Dual Rectifier or the Marshall JCM 2000, both half-stack. I'm mainly interested in playing stuff like punk, power-pop, and pop-core. I also have to fit a bit of heavier stuff in there too, though. I haven't had a chance to play either of these amps, so what do you think? Also, the guitar will be a Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster RI, possibly modded with P-Rails. Thanks!
I had a similar choice to make, just not as expensive.
I was up between my F-30 and that same marshall amp.
i ended up choosing the mesa because of the versatility it provided, and i thought that the marshall was a tad limited in that aspect.
███████████████████████████████████
Is it a JCM2000 DSL or TSL? If it's a DSL, go with that. If not, Mesa.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by shadow__666
Is it a JCM2000 DSL or TSL? If it's a DSL, go with that. If not, Mesa.

It is a JCM2000 DSL. Also, if I wanted to save a bit of money, I might get a Mesa F-50 instead, though I'd prefer to go with one of my first choices.
Quote by Raxef
It is a JCM2000 DSL. Also, if I wanted to save a bit of money, I might get a Mesa F-50 instead, though I'd prefer to go with one of my first choices.

Isn't the DSL cheaper than the F-50?
i could have gotten a dsl for the same price as my amp cost american, in canadian dollers.
If it's a DSL, go for it. They are pretty much the ultimate punk/pop/powerpop amp (I know both guitarists from My Chemical Romance use them, Weezer used them on the Green Album, Dave Baksh from Sum 41 uses a DSL50 as does Quinn Allman from the Used) and they can do teh br00tz if pushed and/or boosted (Trivium use them).
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Last edited by shadow__666 at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by shadow__666
Dave Baksh from Sum 41 uses a DSL50

You mean the guy that hasn't played with them for 3 years now? The same Dave Baksh that is playing Soldano with Brownbrigade?
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
I always liked the f50 more than the rectifier series. Planning on selling my 5150 for one
That loser shit's right out the window!
you should get the F-50 if you can. over both of those.
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
You mean the guy that hasn't played with them for 3 years now? The same Dave Baksh that is playing Soldano with Brownbrigade?

Alright, alright, I'm not even a Sum 41 fan except for that one song with the video with them at the pool. Only reason I know he used the DSL was because of Marshall's website.
Quote by Cathbard
i would get the recto, those marshalls have had some issues with reliability
and mesa's rule
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
this isnt just a brand war....mesa's have their tone, marshall has theirs, go play them and find out!
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
How can you compare those amps at all? They're totally different animals. But hey, whatever tickles your pickle.
Fargen Olde 800 1x12 Combo
Ernie Ball/Musicman Axis Super Sport Rosewood with custom HighOrder Pickups
Quote by bigfoamfinger
Would you play ANY cleans at all? If so, the Mesa could be a little better

Have you ever actually played a DSL before? The cleans on the DSL are very nice and sparkly. Not like your 900.
Quote by mindstealer
Have you ever actually played a DSL before? The cleans on the DSL are very nice and sparkly. Not like your 900.

I find the cleans on a JCM2000 (DSL or TSL) to sound very bland.
Quote by bigfoamfinger

I thought that JCM900s were renound for their clean tones, the best of any Marshall series?

Anyway, Rectos are good for pop-punk too, Yellowcard used them, as does Tom DeLonge who A/Bs a Recto for overdrive with a JCM900 for cleans.

So both are viable, just try them out and see which one suits!
Ibanez S520EX with Seymour Duncan Blackouts
ESP EC401FM with EMG81/60
VHT Deliverance 60
Laney VH100R
Marshall JCM900 1960B
Maxon OD808
Is your heart definitely set one these two amps? For a distorted, high gain sound, the Mesa is the better of the 2. For a generally good all round rock amp i'd save a bit of money and go for the Marshall.
I've never been totally convinced by the Mesa, for a little bit more there are infinitely better amps out there. In fact i'd only be interested in the Road King from the Mesa range and even then i think my H&K TriAmp is a better made amp.
Current Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Custom ('77)
Fender USA Telecaster Deluxe

Amp :

Hughes & Kettner TriAmp Head
Mesa Rectifier 2x12 Cab
Quote by Raxef

An F-50 would be a great idea, they can do all the music you want, but it could be pretty exspensive, i got mine cheap(combo1), but the heads are harder to come by and on Ebay and places like that, and the bids will go pretty high because lots of people have the same idea....Its all preference though...
I have a Dual and Triple rectifier and have had a TSL100 JCM2000. I didn't really like the JCM as it was a noisy amp, for me anyway. Cleans were very nice though. The rectifier on channel 3 EQ'd correctly sounded almost identical to my JCM2000 anyway, that is why I got rid of it.
Jackson KE1F
Jackson KE2
Gibson Gothic Explorer
BC Rich Jr V deluxe

Engl Powerball full stack
Framus Cobra
VHT Pittbull CL50
Quote by mindstealer

Yes I ACTUALLY have played one before. Im not saying it doesnt have nice cleans either dude. Just saying the Mesa may be a little more versatile.
Quote by Persata
I thought that JCM900s were renound for their clean tones, the best of any Marshall series?

Unfortunately not the JCM900s, you must be thinking of another model. Their cleans are decent/useable
either one would work fine for the music you want to play. the tones they produce are all over the pop/pop-punk world. is there another guitarist you'll be playing with?
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by bigfoamfinger

Yes, I would probably be incorporating cleans in my playing. I'll mostly be using distortion, but cleans are always good.

Quote by spiff389
either one would work fine for the music you want to play. the tones they produce are all over the pop/pop-punk world. is there another guitarist you'll be playing with?

Yes, I believe I would be playing with another guitarist.
definitely pick which one you like best, but something to consider since you'll be playing with another guitarist, is find the one that doesn't sound like his/her amp. mixing amps to get a bigger tone is a great technique.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.