I have looked through the tube faq many times. It doesnt really seem to help me all that much.
So my amp has been crackling, and it is my preamp tubes. I got 1 new one and was checkin which one to switch. I have 3 preamp tubes total and need to test the other 2, but i think i will order 2 more pre amp tubes to just replace them all. My amp is a crate palomino 30 watt class a, it is pretty dark and i want a treblier brighter sound. I have enought gain, so i dont care if the tube seems to add gain, but i dont want it to take any gain away.
So, knowledgeable tube men, which tubes should i get?
I have had the amp about 1 year 3 months. It has been used in a band situation since i got it.
also a recommendation of power amp tubes would be nice for later when i replace them.
Last edited by cfhwarhead at Mar 25, 2009,
well, on musiciansfriend.com, it says it has 3 12AX7A pre-amp tubes, so i would get some of those.

It also comes with el-84 power amp tubes. Here's the link.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-v32-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487828&src=3WWRWXGB&ZYXSEM=0

also look here.

http://www.eurotubes.com/

he doesn't give that much info on crate's, but maybe there is some other useful info there. (Don't limit your research to this site, since there is a lot to learn beyond eurotubes).
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
I like using the EHX 12AX7 in gain stages for a bit brighter sound. I use it when I want to add some sizzle and topend. The Tung Sols seemed a bit brighter to me too, I like using them as an input tube in V1, nice quiet articulate tube. The JJ's I've liked using to darken and smooth the sound a bit, I haven't found them to be very bright sounding IME. I like using the chinese pres to warm up the sound a bit in a harsh amp, they have a pretty balanced sound to me.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Psycho thank you. I am looking at his high gain kit for the crates, seems like a good deal. Think i will get it, but do you have any info on the reliability of shipping?
shipping is reliable. i've ordered from them a number of times. rates are reasonable and your tubes arrive within a few days.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's