http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-EAB-Acoustic-Electric-Bass-519943-i1150843.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro-Harmonix-XO-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost-Distortion-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-103840526-i1165447.gc

Which would provide more use to me first? My lead guitarist likes playing acoustic stuff, so it would sound better if we were all playing acoustics, but on the other hand, I like playing metal and standing out, so the distortion would help me be heard (but I also might get my fuzz pedal fixed soon, so that would help for the time being).
bass big muff> metal muff.

and that, the use of an acoustic bass is cosmetic.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
bass big muff> metal muff.

and that, the use of an acoustic bass is cosmetic.

Meh, personal preference I guess. I've never heard the bass big muff used on a guitar so I don't know how that sounds. Besides, I've never heard the Metal Muff used with a bass, so I'm gonna see how each sounds on the opposite instrument and decide at the store.

And what about the use of a bass unplugged? The acoustic would make more of a sound than a solid body, right?
Quote by Alex Vik
Meh, personal preference I guess. I've never heard the bass big muff used on a guitar so I don't know how that sounds. Besides, I've never heard the Metal Muff used with a bass, so I'm gonna see how each sounds on the opposite instrument and decide at the store.

And what about the use of a bass unplugged? The acoustic would make more of a sound than a solid body, right?

the bass muff wont cut out the low end needed to keep it sounding like a bass.

yes, but you'd need an upright to project near enough, or a Tacoma Thunderchief.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The main use of an ABG(acoustic bass guitar) is to provide an alternative to the old "p-bass with flats" method when accompanying acoustic guitars. They're meant to be played plugged in, for the most part, and provide and acoustic-sounding tone to match the guitars.

However, Dean(surprisingly) did a good job of getting the EAB to be fairly loud. The model with the thin satin finish is loud enough to play with a couple of lightly strummed acoustics, but would be utterly buried by a heavily-strummed Dreadnought. A word of warning, though...it sounds a bit weird, and you'll need to get different strings if you decide to do it. The stock ones are way too bright.

I would definitely try one out before you buy it...if you have a guitar center nearby, go to the acoustic room with a buddy and have him play with you to see how the ABG's in there match up.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
The main use of an ABG(acoustic bass guitar) is to provide an alternative to the old "p-bass with flats" method when accompanying acoustic guitars. They're meant to be played plugged in, for the most part, and provide and acoustic-sounding tone to match the guitars.

However, Dean(surprisingly) did a good job of getting the EAB to be fairly loud. The model with the thin satin finish is loud enough to play with a couple of lightly strummed acoustics, but would be utterly buried by a heavily-strummed Dreadnought. A word of warning, though...it sounds a bit weird, and you'll need to get different strings if you decide to do it. The stock ones are way too bright.

I would definitely try one out before you buy it...if you have a guitar center nearby, go to the acoustic room with a buddy and have him play with you to see how the ABG's in there match up.

Alright, thanks for the info, I'll do that when I get the cash and go to the store.
Quote by Alex Vik
And what about the use of a bass unplugged?

Just understand the instrument has its limitations.
No, it wont cut through in a 15 piece ukulele band. And, you'll need to plug in, or go DI(or both) in a live, full band setting. An intimate coffee house setting might allow you to get by unplugged or with just a mic. Unplugged playing with one or two guitars, at home or around a campfire shouldn't be a problem; depending on the players of course, and your setup/technique.

The Dean ABG's get pretty good reviews in general. However, the one you're looking at, "Dean Playmate" is their lower tier model and uses passive electronics. Some reviews suggest the output level to be low for plugged in use.
Quote by OtamotPuhctek
Just understand the instrument has its limitations.
No, it wont cut through in a 15 piece ukulele band. And, you'll need to plug in, or go DI(or both) in a live, full band setting. An intimate coffee house setting might allow you to get by unplugged or with just a mic. Unplugged playing with one or two guitars, at home or around a campfire shouldn't be a problem; depending on the players of course, and your setup/technique.

The Dean ABG's get pretty good reviews in general. However, the one you're looking at, "Dean Playmate" is their lower tier model and uses passive electronics. Some reviews suggest the output level to be low for plugged in use.

Ok, well I'd only be unplugged for just sitting around playing stuff with my friends, it's not like we'd be unplugged for a live gig or anything.