I need to get a bass amp and it's gotta be pretty cheap. No playing in bands or anything, but will be playing with a guitarist. I am strictly buying used unless there is a hell of a deal that I can get. So far, Fender Rumble pops up everywhere and they come out really cheap sometimes. So are they any good? I know nothing about bass amps.

If they suck, please recommend me some good bass amps around 200 bucks used.

That would be i guess $400ish and under brand new. Playing metal mostly and I'm pretty sure i want 12" or 10" speakers for added punch. I hear that 15" tend to have less and get more drowned out, so there you go.

EDIT: How's a Peavey TNT 150? Peavey Minx 110? both look fairly old and theyre pretty cheap. hows the tone out of those, if youve heard of those before.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Mar 26, 2009,
not bad.

for 200, they can be a sweet deal.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
They are decent deals, but you can usually find better. They're pretty sturdy but kind of underwhelming.

I know I probably sound like a broken record saying this, but the best used deals are usually going to be the old 80's/early 90's Peavey gear. The stuff is nearly indestructible, and has a sound that can be used for nearly everything. Trust me on that...the Basic 40 I have has, no exaggeration, been used for praise n' worship one night, pop rock the following night, and death metal the next.

Another brand to look out for is Carvin. They usually go for pretty cheap.

this would suit your situation nicely, I think.
Nope, no sig here.
Quote by Mutant Corn
They are decent deals, but you can usually find better. They're pretty sturdy but kind of underwhelming.

I know I probably sound like a broken record saying this, but the best used deals are usually going to be the old 80's/early 90's Peavey gear. The stuff is nearly indestructible, and has a sound that can be used for nearly everything. Trust me on that...the Basic 40 I have has, no exaggeration, been used for praise n' worship one night, pop rock the following night, and death metal the next.

Another brand to look out for is Carvin. They usually go for pretty cheap.

this would suit your situation nicely, I think.

+1

Everything this person just said is true.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
OK Thanks guys. It's just that good peavey amps are pretty hard to find on the used market. So if i cant find a decent one, then imma have to go for the fender.

How's a Peavey TNT 150? Peavey Minx 110? both look fairly old and theyre pretty cheap. hows the tone out of those, if youve heard of those before.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Mar 25, 2009,
The Fender rumbles are rather meh sounding. I would take Mutant Corn's advice and look for either used Peavey or maybe Ashdown gear.

Carvin is great and economic, but the issue is that if you don't live in CA, you don't usually have an opportunity to play one before you buy. But they're worth the risk of buying blind and there are a quite few members of the forum who have Carvin gear who you could question about sound and durability.
Quote by anarkee
The Fender rumbles are rather meh sounding. I would take Mutant Corn's advice and look for either used Peavey or maybe Ashdown gear.

Carvin is great and economic, but the issue is that if you don't live in CA, you don't usually have an opportunity to play one before you buy. But they're worth the risk of buying blind and there are a quite few members of the forum who have Carvin gear who you could question about sound and durability.

I live in Los Angeles, so i live like 15 minutes from the carvin store. it's just that i dont have the kind of cash to buy new gear. I guess it'll be easier to find used because i'm at LA. Thanks.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack