Guys, Ive been playing guitar for three years now. And I'm pretty sure I suck compared to most people. But what gets me the most is that I can read tabs and play along and somebody with enough skill or practice can sound like the original artist. But how can I develop my own songs.

I don't have any knowledge of chords or scales or notes. I play a lot of classic blues, like hendrix and robin trower. And listing to bridge of sighs or machine gun, I cant even make 1/500 th as good as those songs.

When most musicans make music are all the exact notes in their head already, or do you just have a general sound and you play around until you find something you like.

whats the process of creation I guess.

Thank you
i just sit down with my guitar and play.
its hard at first because youll be thinking "what should i play?"
but as soon as i focus on something else besides guitar, ill start playing random stuff.

sometimes it sucks, sometimes its a cool riff, or sometimes its a chord progression that becomes one of the most popular song ive written.
your not gonna be awsome at writing songs when you start, you get better with it and progress, just like everything else.

just play, and dont think about.
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
I used to be like that too. I think with time, you will progress regardless of what you do. I believe that a large part of it is played by the subconscious. However, learning some scales, basic theory and chord shapes never hurt anyone. Another huge part of creativity IMO is being creative with sound and not with your guitar. Think of it less as an instrument and as more of a sound manipulation device.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Like sometimes Ill hear a note in my head but I wont know how to convert it on the guitar. Like if i hear like

(Sound It out...its like a solo and i can feel like what it should flow like)

Dum dum, tee two tee, Dum Tee, Tee two tee, Tee tee, two tee. Whammy Whammy...Dum tee...Slide

And then I dont know where to press on the board to make that exact note i want. I have to play around to find the right one. BY then the flow is gone. I have an idea of where to press bcuz i play only hendrix and I know where he plays, like the 12 fret third fourth strings is money and as well as chords on 1 to third fret all strings and you pick up a few neat tricks but its not enough i guess.

Like I hear the very exact note that should be next in place but when I try to make it come out of the guitar it comes out as something else.

My lack of chords and scale stuff I think is killing me in the department. Cuz i dont know where to go next for that sound.
Like I hear the very exact note that should be next in place but when I try to make it come out of the guitar it comes out as something else.

My lack of chords and scale stuff I think is killing me in the department. Cuz i dont know where to go next for that sound.

Ear training and fretboard logic is what you need. Try my theory vids for the latter, try good-ear.com for the former.
Quote by harkkam
I don't have any knowledge of chords or scales or notes
Going out on a bit of a limb here but....learn about chords and scales and notes? Learn some basic theory. It'll make life a whole lot easier if you want to start writing your own stuff.
Quote by harkkam

When most musicans make music are all the exact notes in their head already, or do you just have a general sound and you play around until you find something you like.

Thank you

I think you can know everything about music theory and guitar techniques but still be uncreative. What knowledge of music theory and guitar techniques give you are the methods to express the music you hear in your mind, and heart, in many different ways. Just like how a writer expresses thoughts with different sentences, painters with different compliments of color. To be truly creative is to be inspired. You can do that by opening your mind to ideas from artists from the past and present.
Quote by jsantos
I think you can know everything about music theory and guitar techniques but still be uncreative. What knowledge of music theory and guitar techniques give you are the methods to express the music you hear in your mind, and heart, in many different ways. Just like how a writer expresses thoughts with different sentences, painters with different compliments of color. To be truly creative is to be inspired. You can do that by opening your mind to ideas from artists from the past and present.

+ 1 well said
shred is gaudy music
Quote by jsantos
I think you can know everything about music theory and guitar techniques but still be uncreative

So true
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Another huge part of creativity IMO is being creative with sound and not with your guitar. Think of it less as an instrument and as more of a sound manipulation device.

+1111
great advice
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by harkkam
Guys, Ive been playing guitar for three years now. And I'm pretty sure I suck compared to most people. But what gets me the most is that I can read tabs and play along and somebody with enough skill or practice can sound like the original artist. But how can I develop my own songs.

I don't have any knowledge of chords or scales or notes. I play a lot of classic blues, like hendrix and robin trower. And listing to bridge of sighs or machine gun, I cant even make 1/500 th as good as those songs.

Thank you

most songs come by accident actually. and with machine gun the guitar part is prett much all improv. im assuming you mean live at the filmore.

you also have to remember that these people you look up to have been playing way longer than you. one thing you could do is play a song you know, and then stat changing things around a bit. thats what keith richards would do. he would play 25 songs or so of other peoples stuff and eventually something of his own would just happen. something simple like changing the rhythm or how long you stay on a chord can change a song completely.
You have to internalize the minor and major pentatonic scale for starters. And when I mean internalize, it has to become as natural as breathing for you. Play it so often and in so many different ways, that you can pretty much tell exactly what Hendrix is doing in his solos at least 80% of the time.

You have to practice untill your licks and your playing becomes second-nature. No different then when you are speaking. When you speak to someone, you have an intention latent in your mind, a general gist, of what you want to say. Afterwords, you might not remember the exact words you used to get the message across, but you remember the gist.

Practice untill your lead guitar becomes completely natural so that you can play what you want to play by trusting your ear and not your mind.
There may be times when it is impossible to prevent injustice, but there should never be a time when we fail to protest it.

Take a trip down the Scenic River

Call me Charlie.