Page 1 of 2
So I guess it doesn't really count as a build, it's more of a matter of putting all the parts together. The reason I'm doing this is because I'm trying to get a guitar that has the exact specs I want, works and plays well and is cheap. I trying to get it to be under $800, or at least under $1000 (which is the price I would've bought this other guitar that I wanted anyway).

So I'm building a partsocaster, which at this stage is pretty much gonna be a copy of one of those old-style strats with some extras here and there. All I need to get is the body and electronics, then I can screw it all together

So, here's the neck. Mighty Mite lic. strat neck with a Fender logo lacquered on. Scalloped maple fretboard (I've heard good things about scallops, so I though I'd give them a shot), and it's got a skunk stripe on the back which I think is a pretty nice touch .

I think it's pretty nice . The necks a bit sticky though and there are some imperfections here and there, but all in all, I'm really happy with it. The tuners (which aren't attached yet) are Gotoh kluston-like tuners. I'm yet to buy the body, I'm not 100% on what I want yet but it'll probably be a standard strat body (as opposed to a RG or pointer style), and it'll be either white, sunburst or black and it'll have 3 pickups (I dunno if I want single coils or stacked humbuckers though).

Anyway, thats that.
Quote by Roast Beef
Where is it sticky?

The back of the neck, it's sticky as in your hand doesn't glide up and down it. I'll either try and do something with it (I think my current guitar had that problem and I just used some fine sandpaper on it and now it plays fine, but the neck is getting black because the finish was rubbed off) or just live with it.
I'd just let my hand break it in as opposed to taking sandpaper to it.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
So... you're building a partscaster with a Fender logo?

Jeez, man, that's something I'd never do. Make sure you say that it isn't a real Fender if you sell it.

But still, looking forward to seeing how it turns out
Quote by EJD
So... you're building a partscaster with a Fender logo?

Jeez, man, that's something I'd never do. Make sure you say that it isn't a real Fender if you sell it.

But still, looking forward to seeing how it turns out

Yeah, I've heard of people doing that. But, I'm not planning on selling it when I finish it, I'm planning on keeping it for as long as I can. Plus the parts I use will mostly be Fender or licenced by Fender parts.

edit: also, opinions needed on this: should I get a Fender bridge or a Wilkinson or something like that? It'll be a synchronized tremolo in either case, but I've heard people throw around that Wilkinson brand name before and he doesn't seem that bad.
Last edited by kenan6346 at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by kenan6346
edit: also, opinions needed on this: should I get a Fender bridge or a Wilkinson or something like that?

I've put a Wilkinson 2 post bridge on my Strat, and it's now got total tuning stability - I've tried everything else (except a genuine American bridge), and nothing gives you as good stability - a trem setter was probably the closest.

The Wilkinson bridge is also a great piece of engineering.
Quote by wizards?
What kind of pickups are you going with? If you're really in the mood to experiment, I think you should try lipstick tubes...

What are they?
Eh, they sound a little smoother, less harsh. Pretty similar though.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
that's a classy scalloping job. usually scallops look haggard to me, but those are very mild. I like this.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
that's a classy scalloping job. usually scallops look haggard to me, but those are very mild. I like this.

TBH I'm kinda worried about how mild they are, I've heard that shallow scallops have no practical use. The lower frets look pretty shallow, but the higher ones (12 up) look like they have deeper scallops (but that might just be an illusion because there is less space between each fret than lower down the board).

In any case, I'm pretty happy with this neck. I'll probably make a bunch of money during the upcoming school holidays (maybe AU$400 if I'm lucky), then I'll buy a body off eBay. I'm planning on getting this done by June, because I'm taking a trip to the USA to do a 3 week chamber music course. I think it'd be pretty cool if I could take this over to play with when I'm not singing.
you can get bodies off ebay for like $60
I did, i live in AUS

there usually 2nd hand though. Just sand it down and you got yourself a nice body
Well I bought a body, and it won't be here for about a week when I'll post more pics, but I'll give you some pics of it. I believe it's a Highway One:

IMO, nice and easy. I wanted this project to be a pretty simple experience where I could choose everything I wanted and needed, but I also wanted it to be pretty inexpensive.
You made a mistake scalloping the neck if youve never played a scalloped neck before.
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Quote by Little_Buster
You made a mistake scalloping the neck if youve never played a scalloped neck before.

I totally agree!

I would have at least tried out a scalloped neck guitar before buying a neck. Some people love them and others hate them. Just my opinion. Also I would have had my own custom logo made maybe. Just me though....that neck looks awesome!
Quote by Little_Buster
You made a mistake scalloping the neck if you've never played a scalloped neck before.

You've gotta start somewhere. What's the worst that could happen? I'll probably just have to have to lighten my touch a bit, then it's smooth sailing - it'll probably bring more benefits than limits. And if it absolutely isn't my cup of tea, it's no big deal: this is the reason I have a part time job. I live at home so everything I earn is discretionary income, and if I must, I'll just buy another non scalloped neck and keep this one spare in case I ever want to try it out again.

Quote by halo71
I totally agree!

I would have at least tried out a scalloped neck guitar before buying a neck. Some people love them and others hate them. Just my opinion. Also I would have had my own custom logo made maybe. Just me though....that neck looks awesome!

I bought it from a seller who did custom headstock decals, but I wanted this guitar to look like a classic, so I just got the fender decal on it. Maybe I should've gotten the guy to put my signature on the headstock, that would've looked cool But no worries, I'm pretty happy with it.
Last edited by kenan6346 at May 9, 2009,
Quote by kenan6346
You've gotta start somewhere. What's the worst that could happen? I'll probably just have to have to lighten my touch a bit, then it's smooth sailing - it'll probably bring more benefits than limits. And if it absolutely isn't my cup of tea, it's no big deal: this is the reason I have a part time job. I live at home so everything I earn is discretionary income, and if I must, I'll just buy another non scalloped neck and keep this one spare in case I ever want to try it out again.

I bought it from a seller who did custom headstock decals, but I wanted this guitar to look like a classic, so I just got the fender decal on it. Maybe I should've gotten the guy to put my signature on the headstock, that would've looked cool But no worries, I'm pretty happy with it.

Nice man that's definitely the way to go. The advantage of scalloped necks (as you know) is that it makes it much easier to bend strings so once you get the hang of it, you'll prbly be able to shred like none other

Btw, that headstock looks fockin awesome

great work so far
Quote by Schism1985
Nice man that's definitely the way to go. The advantage of scalloped necks (as you know) is that it makes it much easier to bend strings so once you get the hang of it, you'll prbly be able to shred like none other

Btw, that headstock looks fockin awesome

great work so far

True, but with the slightest touch your note will go outta tune really fast.

You should of put a custom logo on the headstock, sorta like the Jellycaster
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Quote by Little_Buster
True, but with the slightest touch your note will go outta tune really fast.

You should of put a custom logo on the headstock, sorta like the Jellycaster

man you really hate scalloped necks dont you?

i respectfully disagree with your head stock comment, the gold fender logo looks snazzy as hell on that neck
Quote by Schism1985
man you really hate scalloped necks dont you? :p:

i respectfully disagree with your head stock comment, the gold fender logo looks snazzy as hell on that neck

Yes I do.

Dont get me wrong, that headstock looks sweet as hell,
I would have just put a custom logo on it.
Quote by letsgocoyote
you should wire the pickups so each knob is a volume for each pickup and ditch the switch, or find some other use for it. I'm halfway through a strat build and thats how mine's going down and i can't wait.
Quote by Strato-Massacre
yeah you shouldnt have told the pit to rape your mom.

Quote by Kensai
It's not sexist, girls are just too stupid and weak to hold up doors and stuff for themselves.
the scalloped board should be fine, I've got one guitar with jumbo frets and another with a (deep) scalloped board and the difference is minimal.

both keep your fingers clear from the board which is what you want (well at least what i want)
Quote by Lt.DanHasLegs
you should wire the pickups so each knob is a volume for each pickup and ditch the switch, or find some other use for it. I'm halfway through a strat build and thats how mine's going down and i can't wait.

I actually like the tone knobs, especially if I'm trying to get a nice mellow sound or if I'm going for some kind of woman tone. I'm not exactly sure what the current setting on the guitar is, but I'll probably make it so that the volume knob controls everything, one tone knob controls the bridge tone and the other tone knob controls the neck tone (or perhaps the neck and mid tone). I find I only use the middle pickup when I've got the neck and mid pickups on: I rarely use the middle pickup by itself. I'll also keep the switch the way it is but if I find something cool that I think I'll have use for I'll stick it in the guitar too.

Quote by Diamond Dave
the scalloped board should be fine, I've got one guitar with jumbo frets and another with a (deep) scalloped board and the difference is minimal.

both keep your fingers clear from the board which is what you want (well at least what i want)

That's pretty much what I want too, I've heard that you get somewhat of a better grip on the strings when you use scallops or huge frets, which is what I want because I've got thin, bony fingers and I occasionally use grip of the strings which results in an ugly twang.
I'd get rid of that Fender trek and put in a Trek King instead.
Also, a scalloped fretboard shouldn't be bad if you us good technique.
Looking nice! This will be great to see finished
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by kurtebirdi
you should add a 4th tone knob...

Nah, I want to keep this guitar looking pretty clean, another tone knob will just clutter everything up I reckon.

Quote by Baby Joel
I'd get rid of that Fender trek and put in a Trek King instead.
Also, a scalloped fretboard shouldn't be bad if you us good technique.
Looking nice! This will be great to see finished

What are treks?

Also, glad you like it I'm sure it'll take a little while to get used to the scalloped fretboard, but as far as technique goes I try to go as classical guitar style as I can to maximise range and playability and eliminate cramps, etc.

Anyway, I've only got a week to wait, and it'll probably go fast too because I've got exams
I meant Trem King, sorry.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Okay, major update which is actually kinda a minor update in a way:

Got the body, looks beaut.

Went to a friends house so he could help me do the drilling coz I'm a hardware noob.

Neck screwed onto body, string tree screwed onto neck.

That's where our luck stopped. 4 out of the 7 screws for the machine heads broke, and now I have 4 random pieces of half screw stuck in my neck. They were apparently pretty bull**** screws anyway. I left the guitar at my friends house, and he said he'd work on getting those pieces of metal out tonight, and that he'd go screw shopping tomorrow so that I can play the guitar tomorrow evening. Will post youtube vids when I do.

*sigh* I was totally ready to play it today, but I guess I've got to wait another day or two to play it. At least it isn't too tragic: the absolute worse case scenario is that I can't find screws anywhere and I end up having to buy them off ebay, or having to buy a whole new set of tuners with screws and just hoping that those screws don't break.

Anyway, on a side note, I bought a new bridge pickup for the to-be guitar: Dimarzio Virtual Solo. I bought that particular one because I liked how it sounded from youtube vids and demos on the website, it looks like a pretty classic single coil, and it's hum cancelling, which is pretty much a must.

I'll update again tomorrow.
Quote by kenan6346
Okay, major update which is actually kinda a minor update in a way:

Got the body, looks beaut.

Went to a friends house so he could help me do the drilling coz I'm a hardware noob.

Neck screwed onto body, string tree screwed onto neck.

That's where our luck stopped. 4 out of the 7 screws for the machine heads broke, and now I have 4 random pieces of half screw stuck in my neck. They were apparently pretty bull**** screws anyway. I left the guitar at my friends house, and he said he'd work on getting those pieces of metal out tonight, and that he'd go screw shopping tomorrow so that I can play the guitar tomorrow evening. Will post youtube vids when I do.

*sigh* I was totally ready to play it today, but I guess I've got to wait another day or two to play it. At least it isn't too tragic: the absolute worse case scenario is that I can't find screws anywhere and I end up having to buy them off ebay, or having to buy a whole new set of tuners with screws and just hoping that those screws don't break.

Anyway, on a side note, I bought a new bridge pickup for the to-be guitar: Dimarzio Virtual Solo. I bought that particular one because I liked how it sounded from youtube vids and demos on the website, it looks like a pretty classic single coil, and it's hum cancelling, which is pretty much a must.

I'll update again tomorrow.

Sad news about the screws.

But hey! Atleast you have your baby almost done. Only a little bit more and you're jamming!

Can't wait to see the video of you belting out some amazing...well....whatever it is that you'll play for us.

You've really made me want to try a guitar with scalloped frets now... :/
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
Sad news about the screws.

But hey! Atleast you have your baby almost done. Only a little bit more and you're jamming!

Can't wait to see the video of you belting out some amazing...well....whatever it is that you'll play for us.

You've really made me want to try a guitar with scalloped frets now... :/

Cheers man, lol don't expect that much, it's probably gonna sound like **** considering I haven't played on scalloped frets before It'll basically just be a sound demo with a bit of riffage and some pentatonic stuff probably.
OK we're still having trouble with these screws. I'm expecting my friend to come and say "I can't do it" any time now, and if he does, I want to have some options.

I read a post made by a user with a similar situation somewhere, and it said that he drilled the metal bit out with a regular drill, then filled in the hole with toothpicks and wood glue. Would this work? Coz it if will, I should just tell my mate to do that rather than go to any more trouble trying to get the screws out (he did this all to me as a favour, and I feel like a jerk letting him do this all for me).

Also, these screws are pretty small, would they be easy to get from a hardware shop or would I have to buy a new set from somewhere else?
Sorry about bumping this, but can anyone help me out with this? - I'm still having issues with the neck. I'll see if I can see this guy tomorrow and we can figure out what to do, but can someone confirm if what I suggested would work?
Page 1 of 2