So I'll make this quick. I just wanted say that yesterday evening I had a breakthrough in my quest for awesome tone. I had previously been trying to wire a small boost circuit and toggle switch into my guitar, finally getting it to work yesterday evening. But I didn't like the tone at all. So then I get this crazy idea to clean up my super crowded control cavity, and decided to take out everything except the pickup selector. Wiring the pickups, essentially, straight to the jack. WOW is all I can say. That's what I've been wanting! I'm not sure I'll ever go back to using any knobs or anything other than a pickup selector in my guitars again! It just sounds too good!
Fargen Olde 800 1x12 Combo
Ernie Ball/Musicman Axis Super Sport Rosewood with custom HighOrder Pickups
My soloist has no pots, at least it won't 'til Friday, but the tone for high gain situations is extreme. But it sucks when it comes to clean playing.
Gear: Warmoth Soloist / Hondo Acou. / Ibanez AS73

Hardwire TL-2 / Boss GE-7 / Electro Harmonix Small Stone Nano / Boss DD-3 / MXR Smart Gate / Ibanez TS9 / Unknown Tremolo

Bugera V55 / Home Made Cab w/ Celestion Speakers G12M & G12T
For me that's not really a problem. The custom HighOrders in my MusicMan are PAF style pickups. The neck is only 7.5K and the bridge is about 9.8K, so I can still drive the amp hard with picking dynamics, but overall I have a cleaner tone. At first I thought I wasn't going to like it, but I've just fallen in love with the sweetness and ridiculous clarity I get out of this setup.
Fargen Olde 800 1x12 Combo
Ernie Ball/Musicman Axis Super Sport Rosewood with custom HighOrder Pickups