I know this is an extremely noobish question, so please forgive me.
I keep hearing about EMG active pickups. So what is an active pickup? And what are it's advantages/disadvantages? I mainly play metal and rock(NWOBHM, Thrash, Progressive, Melodic Death, Death, Power, some rock a la Deep Purple. Want to play Satch later). SHould I get one? How much does one cost? Do I need to perform any surgery on a guitar to use the pickup?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Mar 25, 2009,
the pickups have a higher output cos they have a pre-amp in them powered by a 9v battery
there pretty good for most metal/rock stuff but the higher output makes the cleans suffer
Jackson RR3
ESP LTD MH-250NT (EMG 81-85)
Peavey Valveking 100 Head
Harley Benton Cabnet
Blackstar Distx Valve Distortion
Boss DD3
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Boss Noise-Gate
A Member Of The Jackson Players Group
EMG's are great pickups usually played for metal music. Active pickups mean they use a battery to get even more gain and maybe boost a valve amp even more. It might be worth buying one but check out some sound samples first, and no, no real surgery unless you mean wiring and stuff.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
EMG stands for Easy Merciless Genocide

basically you go to you nearest dicatator shop pay them to fit the pickups and an active switch

now be very careful with the active switch, only one person has ever switched it and lived.

whos genocide is random each time.

hope that helps
My Gear:

+ Ibanez Prestige S2170-FW
+ Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
+ 1976 Guild S300-D
+ Peavey Roadking 212
+ Dimebag DB01 Crybaby From Hell
+ Boss HM-2 & DM-2
+ My Fingers Of Fury!
Quote by Oosh.
EMG's are great pickups usually played for metal music. Active pickups mean they use a battery to get even more gain and maybe boost a valve amp even more. It might be worth buying one but check out some sound samples first, and no, no real surgery unless you mean wiring and stuff.

Basically you pull out the old passive pickup, fiddle around with the wires and stick in a new one? No cutting up the body?
And do you need different ones for guitars with Floyd Rose systems?
And is it possible to have an active passive combination?
Like say, H-S-H, with the first two passive and the bridge active? Or vice versa?
you will have to route the body for the battery compartment
And on the seventh day, I said "Go to your room!"

check out my jazz tab and ill gladly do a review of any of your stuff

I play the bass clarinet! How 'bout you? PM me!
Yup! Just that. But you need 25k pots instead of the normall 500k.
You could have a passive active combination the the passive pickup would suffer from lack of volume compared to the actives and it might be more work.

Quote by CHOCOmoney

This is not completely true. I fitted my Jackson with EMG's and it originally had passives, and it fits nice. I'd say 90% of the time the battery would fit
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by CHOCOmoney

Battery compartment? Do you need to open up the guitar to change batteries or something? Or is the lot hidden under the white thingy you find of Strats? How much does an active cost anyway?
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Battery compartment? Do you need to open up the guitar to change batteries or something? Or is the lot hidden under the white thingy you find of Strats? How much does an active cost anyway?

You dont need to route unless it doesnt fit, most of the time the battery does fit. A brand new EMG 81 would cost £85

The white thingy you mean scratch plate? If so the battery will fit
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by Oosh. at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by Oosh.
You dont need to route unless it doesnt fit, most of the time the battery does fit. A brand new EMG 81 would cost £85

The white thingy you mean scratch plate? If so the battery will fit

pound 85?!? F|_|ck, three pickups will cost more than the guitar itself......
Get a new amp, you have a no name guitar, active pickups will do nothing unless you have a tube amp. Also you cannot have HSH with 2 active EMGs and a single coil passive unless you have a degree in rocket science and you can make your pickup selector into the most complicated on/off switch ever.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by random_B-RAD
Get a new amp, you have a no name guitar, active pickups will do nothing unless you have a tube amp. Also you cannot have HSH with 2 active EMGs and a single coil passive unless you have a degree in rocket science and you can make your pickup selector into the most complicated on/off switch ever.

Hmm....so i'll stick to passives? What sort should I get for good metal tones as well as good clean tones?
EDIT: And as for the no name guitar.....at the moment I don't HAVE an electric. Intend to get one in June.
Dont upgrade anything. Buy a good amp and a decent guitar, pickup upgrades do **** unless you already have a $1000 amp.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Amp?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by -MintSauce-
EMG's are little boxes of magic, which sound awesome for any genre of music. Also, they're a lot cheaper in the USA, so you'll probably get them for $50.

The ZW set usually runs about 200 USD, the KK is about 20 bucks more. It's usually around $100 per pickup new, but they're cheaper used.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
Quote by -MintSauce-
EMG's are little boxes of magic, which sound awesome for any genre of music. Also, they're a lot cheaper in the USA, so you'll probably get them for $50.

Not biased at all

Eh, I don't like them... I don't know, I've tried them on several occasions with several different amps and I just can't seem to get the tone that I want. It's a matter of preference really, I'd say find a guitar with them in it, try it out and see if you like what you hear...

Me, I'll stick to my passives, but if you like EMG's, by all means, use them. I don't care if you're using one of those big magnets you use in science class wound with wire, if you like the tone, then use it.
Quote by CHOCOmoney

Not always. Depending on the guitar, there may be enough room to fit the battery. I didn't have to route the body, just wrapped the battery in foam.

EMG's are active, which means they run on a 9volt battery that powers the Preamp. They also have electronics that have to be used with them. You will def have to take it to a shop unless your well adjusted in electrical wiring.
Quote by -MintSauce-

all lies.

Active pickups take all the soul out of your guitar, get high output passives. Dimi Super Distortions and Duncan JB's are my high output HB's of choice. (though in a week or two, I'll not have either of my old, beloved high output pickups in any of my guitars... seems almost sad.

edit: this seems inflammatory, I should state: I'm only joshing. I know actives have their place, I just don't like them. I'm just being playfully rude. No offense meant to the active users.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by Thomme
all lies.

Active pickups take all the soul out of your guitar, get high output passives. Dimi Super Distortions and Duncan JB's are my high output HB's of choice. (though in a week or two, I'll not have either of my old, beloved high output pickups in any of my guitars... seems almost sad.

edit: this seems inflammatory, I should state: I'm only joshing. I know actives have their place, I just don't like them. I'm just being playfully rude. No offense meant to the active users.

Ahaha, tit. It's all gravy, baby.

I love them, you hate them.. someone else loves them, other people hate them.. but the most important thing is for TS to try them, then decide for himself. I'd like to think that people are intelligent enough to realise how subjective the quest for tone is, and not be offended by any opinions offered up by us. At the end of the day, it's impossible NOT to be biased, so why try?
I was about to just... nah... this guy is a troll though. Seriously... it would have taken less time to do a wiki search for emg pickups.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
EBAY!!!! my friend like $50 each used, id suggest if you get them like someone said leave out that singlecoil thats a nightmare to wire up, but you can fit them in a stratbody I fit them in an explorer with the battery in the back cavity, but if you never wired one up before id ditch the idea
Life's A Garden Digg It
-Joe Dirt