Alright guys... Firstly hello! My first post on the site and it's good to be here.

So onto my problem (although it's a nice one to have):

I don't play in a metal band but i love metal and love playing it, usually i just jam with a couple of friends or practicing at home...but nothing more than that.

I have a good amount to spend and i want to buy a guitar purely for hard rock and metal stuff (so don't worry about crisp, ringing cleans!). Currently i'm looking at the following guitars:

ESP M-II or KH-2 Hammett model (not really sure if the Hammett is any better than the standard M-II??).

Ibanez J Custom

Jackson Soloist (USA Select Series)

I don't ever envisage playing this guitar on stage so i'm open to the idea of the Hammett signature model or maybe the Stephen Carpenter 7 string (i don't have a 7 string currently)

So do any of you have opinions on which of the above is the better guitar all round? And do any of you have better alternative suggestions??

Be good to hear some thoughts!

Thanks.

Paul.
Jackson Soloist all the way. It's the king of superstrats, it sounds good, it plays like a dream, and it feels very solid. Try it out, you'll see for yourself. MII and KH2 clearly are behind the soloist, but they are cheaper too. And they arent bad at all.
J-customs are pimped up RG prestiges. It's better than a prestige, but is still typically Ibanez, and i dont like that. A dressed up turd is still a turd. But hey, you might like it.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by LP_CL
Jackson Soloist all the way. It's the king of superstrats, it sounds good, it plays like a dream, and it feels very solid. Try it out, you'll see for yourself. MII and KH2 clearly are behind the soloist, but they are cheaper too. And they arent bad at all.
J-customs are pimped up RG prestiges. It's better than a prestige, but is still typically Ibanez, and i dont like that. A dressed up turd is still a turd. But hey, you might like it.

someone doesnt like ibanez :P
I would go with the Ibanez J Custom because you know that the build quality will be amazing compaired to the other guitars.
the best thing to do is to tey and play all the guitars your looking at so you can feel what plays best for you. also have you thought about buying used because you might be able to get an even better guitar for the price.
another thing, look at cheaper guitars as well because some of the high end Schecters (C-1 Blackjack ATX FR) play better then some ESP's and jacksons IMO
My Gear:
-Guitars:
Schecter 30th Anniversary PT
Schecter V-7 Hellraiser
Schecter Demon 7 FR
Vintage VRS100
Amps:
Randall RG75 G3 Plus
danelectro is as metal as it get!

but, seriously, you gotta try the guitars, and try some in various price ranges, you might find something for cheaper u like a lot and save money
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Thanks for that.... I've played a J Custom before and thought it was pretty much flawless build wise. Better than any PRS or Gibson i've owned or played. They're very low production compared to other Ibanez and it shows. BUT the J Custom isn't really a metal guitar... more of a good all rounder to be honest.

I can't seem to find a through neck M-II or KH-2 locally to try so i need the opinions of people who have played them and can offer a comparison. I would agree that the M-II is behind the soloist but not a custom shop KH-2. Prices are very similar here in the UK between the 2.

I have no evidence as of yet that Jackson make better guitars than ESP but if people have played both and they say so... I won't argue!
I sometimes think the Soloist is a bit 80's, still a brilliant guitar though.
Any ESP owners care to throw some opinions my way?!
Current Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Custom ('77)
Fender USA Telecaster Deluxe

Amp :

Hughes & Kettner TriAmp Head
Mesa Rectifier 2x12 Cab
Out of those guitars, I'd say the Jackson. Jacksons are great guitars, especially their higher line models.
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
I haven't recieved my ESP FR-II Horizon yet but I tried it down in my local music store. ESP FR-II Horizon is an awesome guitar.

Maybe too expensive for you, I dunno. :S

The M-II ESP looks good also. But yeah, you should know the EMG pick-ups will need batteries and you have to change batteries and the Duncan will not need any batteries.

EMG sound very metal but Duncan fits metal too, I mean, Lamb of God uses Duncan and many more do so too. But I suggest going to a guitar store and hearing it and test the pickups before choosing, I did so and I ended up choosing Duncan.

I suggest you take a look at ESP FR-II Horizon and M-II and check both out, and yeah, remember, there are more colors for the guitars than the ESP website shows. You should talk to the Guitar Store that handles ESP and ask him about colors for the guitar.

I hope this helped. Also:

Review on ESP M-II: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/esp/m-ii/index.html (Overall Rating: 9,6 and Users Rating is: 8,6)

Review on ESP FR-II Horizon: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/electric_guitars/esp/horizon_fr-ii/index.html (Overall Rating: 9,0 and Users Rating: 9,6)

These are the two I suggest, I hope this helps.
Probably good guitars for solo and band guitarist. You might join a band one day
"Fly with me forever high
And with these wings
We'll set the world on fire
Fly with me through scorching skies
You and I - The lie of lies"

-Symphony X
You might look at the spec on my Cort EVL-K6.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Rob Rock
I would go with the Ibanez J Custom because you know that the build quality will be amazing compaired to the other guitars.
the best thing to do is to tey and play all the guitars your looking at so you can feel what plays best for you. also have you thought about buying used because you might be able to get an even better guitar for the price.
another thing, look at cheaper guitars as well because some of the high end Schecters (C-1 Blackjack ATX FR) play better then some ESP's and jacksons IMO

What?!

So the build quality of a machine made Ibanez will be better than a hand built, USA Jackson Soloist?

I don't think so.
Above post may or may not be true.
Quote by kurney
What?!

So the build quality of a machine made Ibanez will be better than a hand built, USA Jackson Soloist?

I don't think so.

I thought J Customs were hand made, my mistake sorry. I dont know much about Ibanez as you can now tell
My Gear:
-Guitars:
Schecter 30th Anniversary PT
Schecter V-7 Hellraiser
Schecter Demon 7 FR
Vintage VRS100
Amps:
Randall RG75 G3 Plus
Quote by Rob Rock
I thought J Customs were hand made, my mistake sorry. I dont know much about Ibanez as you can now tell

It's ok mate, I'm defensive over soloists
Above post may or may not be true.
the soloist is better than the ibanez.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
my ESP EDWARDS is GODLY FOR METAL SOLOS. its what alexi laiho from children of bodom uses, and it has a super fast neck, ebony fretboard, and a single SD AHB-1, its a masterpeice of a guitar and it freaking owns for metal. also i have a nice schecter damien b-2 i set up the way i wanted by ripping the licenced floyd for the original which IMO is 10000000X better. and throwing in some SD ABH-1. if you WANT METAL look for ACTIVE EMG's OR SD blackouts in which ever axe u but also the ESP MTM-1 the mick thomson model is beast one of my buddies owns it ans he loves it.
Dean Vendetta XM Custom Build
Guitar - Ebay 20/20
Pickups - GFS H/O Hex 40/40
Tuners - Sperzel locking 59.99/59.99
Bridge- Tone Pros - 89/89

the plan. take a 20 dollar guitar and make it sound decent

COMPLETE!! PICS SOON!!
Quote by 6 STRING NOOB
my ESP EDWARDS is GODLY FOR METAL SOLOS. its what alexi laiho from children of bodom uses, and it has a super fast neck, ebony fretboard, and a single SD AHB-1, its a masterpeice of a guitar and it freaking owns for metal. also i have a nice schecter damien b-2 i set up the way i wanted by ripping the licenced floyd for the original which IMO is 10000000X better. and throwing in some SD ABH-1. if you WANT METAL look for ACTIVE EMG's OR SD blackouts in which ever axe u but also the ESP MTM-1 the mick thomson model is beast one of my buddies owns it ans he loves it.

lol you're funny.
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by 6 STRING NOOB
the Ibanez MTM-1 the mick thomson model is beast one of my buddies owns it ans he loves it.

Fixed
Quote by kurney
What?!

I don't think so.

People don't understand much these days. Machine made guitars can be just as good as handmade. CNCs make everything the exact same every time which a human can't do. Machines also don't have lbabor costs like humans do, so they can put better quality parts on the guitar. The guitar will be inspected by techs so you wont get a horrible built guitar, so really, I can see a machine made Ibanez being better than a hand built jackson.
BTW I like both the guitars the same, I just don't liking people saying guitars are bad or worse then others because they are made by machines.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!