Quote by The Article
An appeals court in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, has rejected and refused to certify a court ruling allowing a 47-year-old man's marriage to an 8-year-old girl, said a relative of the girl with knowledge of the proceedings.

Under the Saudi legal process, what the appeals court ruling means is that the controversial marriage is still in effect, but a challenge to the marriage by the girl's mother is still alive.

Rights groups hailed this week's decision because it keeps the mother's challenge going.

Quote by The Article
The case, which has garnered much criticism from rights groups within and outside Saudi Arabia, came to light in December when the Onaiza judge refused to annul the marriage on a legal technicality. Sheikh Habib Abdallah al-Habib's dismissal of the mother's petition for annulment sparked immediate outrage.

The mother's lawyer, Abdullah al-Jutaili, said the judge found that the mother -- who is separated from the girl's father -- is not the legal guardian and therefore could not represent her daughter.

The judge also requested and received a pledge from the girl's husband, who was in court, not to allow the marriage to be consummated until the girl reaches puberty, al-Jutaili said. The lawyer said the judge ruled that when the girl reaches puberty, she will have the right to request a divorce by filing a petition with the court. Al-Jutaili said the girl's father arranged the marriage in order to settle his debts with the man, "a close friend" of his. The judge's verdict was appealed.

Link

Discuss.
Quote by chimneyfish
"death-metal is the best when its in the shape of a dildo and shoved in my ass"

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Last edited by spider666 at Mar 25, 2009,
A 39 year age difference? Good on him.

Wait, shit...

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
maybe its the 8 year olds fault.....you ever thought about that???huh???

poor middle aged man
I Beat Off Little Children..........

with sticks.

Quote by SteveHouse
I GoogleImage'd "shrug" to find an epic pic for this post. Instead I learned that a "shrug" is also an article of clothing.

My mind? Blown.
Quote by halvies
the main thing is, the judge prolonged the marriage until the girl reached puberty, so instead of 8 years old she'll be 13. Much better

In this case, yes. But as the article says, there are many more cases of child marriage not only over there but every other culturally traditional place in the world which severely undermines many women's and children's rights.

And the sad thing is that the people don't even know what to do or where to turn to in those cases.
Quote by chimneyfish

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
wow, for weird news, nothing beats the pit. where do you guys find this stuff? do you look for it?
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
Quote by guitarsftw
wow, for weird news, nothing beats the pit. where do you guys find this stuff? do you look for it?

It's one of the top headlines on CNN.
Quote by chimneyfish

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win
Did the little girl get a choice? Either way its still ****ed up, i see the saudi arabian 47 year old been one of those 4chanees.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Norms about marriage are made-up and contextual, what else can you say?

Yes I agree. But still an 8 year old can hardly know the significance of something such as marriage. Specially to a person who could be her grandfather.

I don't care what social and cultural background you come from, marriage to a child would not be considered a 'norm' if you thought it out rationally.
Quote by chimneyfish

Born to lose...
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
...live to Win

Quote by halvies
the main thing is, the judge prolonged the marriage until the girl reached puberty, so instead of 8 years old she'll be 13. Much better

Girls today often reach puberty as young as 10/11
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Last edited by Ur all $h1t at Mar 25, 2009,
Saudi Arabia is a fucked up, backwards place. Unfortunately it's floating on oil and so there's no international pressure to make them treat women like people.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Saudi Arabia is a fucked up, backwards place. Unfortunately it's floating on oil and so there's no international pressure to make them treat women like people.

They have the right ideas about women really.
They've gotten too up themselves. I'm sick of having to treat my gf like a human being. It takes time, money and effort.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by jamesfarr
I would like to move their but their laws are absurd.

This causes me physical pain.

I hate Saudi Arabia with a passion. There was a case a while ago where they wouldn't let some schoolgirls out of a burning building because they weren't dressed "properly". 15 died.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
To be honest the written law is quite clear. It must be the legal guardian (by saudi law the father) who represent the daughter. Then I might not agree with the law, but the court shall always rule by the law and nothing less.
Quote by Meths
This causes me physical pain.

I hate Saudi Arabia with a passion. There was a case a while ago where they wouldn't let some schoolgirls out of a burning building because they weren't dressed "properly". 15 died.

What were they supposed to do? Let the girls go around the place with their shoulders on display, offending the sensibilities of the townsfolk?
Get real Meths. Stop trying to impose your amoral imperialistic British Capitalist sense of civility onto other nations.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
What were they supposed to do? Let the girls go around the place with their shoulders on display, offending the sensibilities of the townsfolk?
Get real Meths. Stop trying to impose your amoral imperialistic British Capitalist sense of civility onto other nations.

What is it with this new age liberal non-sense? Women were created for men. The Bible makes it clear. I blame it on those radical feminist groups that are bent on destroying the traditional family.