Alright, so me and my friends have been jamming every summer for the past 2 years. The drummer found us a gig about 4 months ago, and we have been learning and jamming together since. Right now we are only playing five songs for the first gig because we only have a half hour, if we need more we will play them. My problem is I can't find the sound I want, we are playing The Trooper, Metal Health, Mississippi Queen, Highway To Hell, and Rock and Roll. If I go with to much distortion it makes songs like Mississippi Queen sound bad, and if I go with to little, The Trooper and Metal Health don't work to well. I would like to have one sound for the set because in my mind it looks bad to be changing settings while you are on stage(don't know why, just does) help please?
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Why can't you get a pedal board, or something like a POD floor unit? All of those songs aren't going to have the same, or even similar tone.

Changing tones isn't that difficult. I wouldn't try to use the same tone for all those songs. Much too wide of a spectrum. It'll just sound stupid.
Just crank up the distortion, its always good. =D
Guitars
Ibanez Prestige RG1570
Schecter Omen 6
ESP LTD Viper 400
Dean Dime From Hell

Amp
Peavey 5150
the clossest thing I have is a Channel Selector, I can go from clean, to overdrive, to distorted. If there isn't a good "perfect" setting, then I think I will follow the first posters idea and write them all down on a piece of paper.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
I know who McLean is! McDonald's younger brother, who is tired of America's increasing obesity rate and decided to make a chain of restaurants selling salads, tofu and crack.

Quote by LuckyBoys91
+ ****ing 1

i've got a point

Quote by Pr0gNut
No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.

TSHM.
Quote by saladforkspear
I know who McLean is! McDonald's younger brother, who is tired of America's increasing obesity rate and decided to make a chain of restaurants selling salads, tofu and crack.

sorry I am sure this is making fun of me but I don't quite get it...
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Quote by SilverchairFan
Use a few different distortion pedals
or a multi-fx that stores tones

how much does a multi-fx cost? A good one at least, if I am going to buy one it is going to be good.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
I am willing to spend up to $100 US. Not because I am cheap, but I just haven't really made any money the last 3 months. I am on break, so I think I will go check out some multi fx pedals this week.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Quote by jking948
the clossest thing I have is a Channel Selector, I can go from clean, to overdrive, to distorted.

You just answered your own question right there. Footswitches were invented for this exact purpose. Utilizing the different channels already built into your amp is where I would start. Just play with the EQ for each channel for a while. Tweak and twiddle those nobs until you get the tone you want and then do the same on the next channel. Then it's just a simple tap of the foot between songs to change your tone on the fly while on stage.
Quote by Erkekjetter
You just answered your own question right there. Footswitches were invented for this exact purpose. Utilizing the different channels already built into your amp is where I would start. Just play with the EQ for each channel for a while. Tweak and twiddle those nobs until you get the tone you want and then do the same on the next channel. Then it's just a simple tap of the foot between songs to change your tone on the fly while on stage.

Alright cool man, thanks a lot, I really haven't been part of this band thing very long, like I said up there 4 months. Do you think overdrive for Mississippi Queen, H2H, and Rock and Roll, with distortion for the other two sounds about right. I obviously am going to check it out, just wondering if you have any ideas. Also, thank you to everyone for the help!
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
A distortian pedal would do or just adjust the amp inbetween songs
Quote by jking948
Alright cool man, thanks a lot, I really haven't been part of this band thing very long, like I said up there 4 months. Do you think overdrive for Mississippi Queen, H2H, and Rock and Roll, with distortion for the other two sounds about right. I obviously am going to check it out, just wondering if you have any ideas. Also, thank you to everyone for the help!

Well if the idea is to play these songs as close as possible to the original versions then yah I suppose that would work. Although if that's the case you'll need some sort of clean for Metal Health and you would need to dial the gain down for The Trooper. Maiden isn't exactly known for their ripping distortion, especially on their older stuff. A good heavy overdrive might even fit a bit better honestly.

That being said however, unless you plan on being solely a cover band I would highly suggest putting your own unique spin on any covers you play. I used to think that getting the exact same sound from this album or that album when playing a certain song was the way to go, but I was wrong. I've since found that instead I prefer to find a tone that works well for my style and then just play everything so it still sounds like me, not the band I'm covering. My band is very heavy death/thrash/core influenced, but we still like playing a lot of classic songs that are "less heavy" (such as Maiden), but we play it all down tuned with heavy blistering distortion and brutal vocals. Often we'll even take creative liberties and make songs "more metal" by changing little things or playing certain parts slightly different to suit our style a bit better.

However if that's not your style and you'd just prefer to play it as true to the original as possible, that's cool too. But that still doesn't mean you have to get that "perfect" identical tone. For example, go check out Iced Earth's version of Highway to Hell. They do it absolutely immaculately, note for note, but they really beefed it up with thick, heavy distortion and epic vocals and made it super badass. It's definitely still Highway to Hell, but I can also tell that it's definitely Iced Earth that's playing it. And that's the point. Don't try to be like somebody else. Pay tribute, but keep your own identity.

But that's just my opinion.
Last edited by Erkekjetter at Mar 26, 2009,