what genres/subgenres should be represented?

metal
hard rock
classic rock
alt rock
blues
jazz
pop/pop punk
R&B
funk
punk/hardcore
ska/reggae*
country/folk*

this is for an updated version of the songs to learn thread.
*:blurb, only one or 2 songs to include.

EDIT: no songs yet.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Last edited by the humanity at Mar 27, 2009,
Since Humanity is going to take this monstrous task on, I'll lock the original one and let this go where it may...
secondsies!

Alt rock
Are you in - Incubus (intermediate)
Brothers Cup - Red hot chili peppers (intermediate/easy)
Are you gonna be my girl - Jet (easy)

Punk
White man in hammersmith palais - The Clash (easy)
Should I stay or should I go - The Clash (easy)

Classic Rock
Suffragette city - David Bowie (easy)

Funk/Jazz
Chameleon - Herbie Hancock
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Last edited by ScottB. at Mar 25, 2009,
Are we going to put any bluegrass, folk, or country in here? I'm not a major fan of those, but do you want to put the effort in?

Otherwise, that list looks good, just need to populate it evenly.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by anarkee
Since Humanity is going to take this monstrous task on, I'll lock the original one and let this go where it may...

I do believe I deserve to have my name colored purple for my dedication to the forum.

or an e-cookie, whichever you prefer.

EDIT: No songs yet.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by samskii
Are we going to put any bluegrass, folk, or country in here? I'm not a major fan of those, but do you want to put the effort in?

Otherwise, that list looks good, just need to populate it evenly.

IMO it'd be best to have an "other" category, cos if you made one for bluegrass folk etc, youd probably be pushed to make a Ska/reggae category
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
How about a cake instead?

Edit: Good point, SB, I don't think many people will look for most of those here anyway.
I have:

Last edited by samskii at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by samskii

Edit: Good point, SB, I don't think many people will look for most of those here anyway.

I love cake.

and I considered it worthy of blurb.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I never posted in the last one.

Hmmm

Dont really know hoe to label these guys
Primus-Antipop- easy
Primus- electric uncle sam- easy
Primus-tommy the cat-hard

Metal
Matallica- orion- intermidiate
Metallica-master of puppets- intermediate
Wake up-RATM- easy
Take the power back-RATM- intermedaite.

Rock
Led Zep-Ramble on-intermediate
Led Zep-lemon song-hard
Led Zep-Dazed and confused-easy
Cream-crossroads-intermediate

Alt Rock
Incubus-Circles- easy
Shes only 18-RHCP- easy
Around the world-intermediate
Mellowship funk in Bb-intermediate.

Dont know if i labeled genres right but still. I still dont like this thread, ones man easy is anothers difficult. Ehh, i suppose some people must have used them
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Last edited by fatgoogle at Mar 25, 2009,
Are the songs in here going to be linked to a tab on-site? For that matter, do the tabs for a song suggested need to be on here to be suggested? Do you understand a single thing I'm saying? Am I making any sense at all? Are you even listening?!?!?!?

Anyway, songlistage is forthcoming

Classic Rock
Fire-Jimi Hendrix-easy
Foxy Lady-JMH-easy
Owner of a lonely heart-Yes-easy
Carry On My Wayward Son-Kansas-Hardish
Iron Man-Black Sabbath-Intermediate/easy (Is this technically metal?)

Alt Rock?
Gel-Collective Soul-easyish
Ready Made-RHCP-Intermediate
December-Collective Soul-easy

Rock/Pop
Wheels-Cake-easy/intermediate
The Distance-Cake-intermediate/Hard (I actually don't know, I can't play it all right yet)
I have:

Best idea samski, and also referring to phil starrs thread, link the tabs that the most people find right, to that song, thenk, how good that would make, and would make this thread way more worthwhile. The right tab for the song, so people mdont speand hours searching.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I think that would be a major help, even more than a difficulty rating which may be totally personal in accuracy. I think that is what most people were looking for when they posted asking for songs to play.

Also

Classic Rock
Simple Man-Lynyrd Skynyrd-Easy/intermediate (Even though I can't get it to sound right, I know it's not that hard)
Money-Pink Floyd-Intermediate
Black Magic Woman-Santana-Easy (at least the main part is. Maybe it's more of a Inter.)
I have:

no songs!

is everyone agreed upon these genres?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Why not make it a recommendation thread as well? I've wanted a place to ask for specific songs for techniques, speed, time sigs etc.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
I think you should add punk to the list

And also, the first 6 times i saw "no songs yet" i thought that meant "I don't have any songs yet so you should post some". Luckily i couldn't think of any so i didn't post any
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
Quote by eazy-c
Why not make it a recommendation thread as well? I've wanted a place to ask for specific songs for techniques, speed, time sigs etc.

this is part 1.

once the genres are decided, we will do as such. until then, your best option is your own thread. just make one!
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
no songs!

is everyone agreed upon these genres?

I'm sorry, I just got excited. Yes, those genres look good to me. I did check the edited list at the top.
I have:

I think you should have a song section and then a band section, because, say for a song you put in parliament funk - (insert song) You might aswell just put in the whole band as they are mostly funk.

Kudos for putting jazz in.
Is Pop actual Pop or Pop-Punk/Emo? I think it has some stake to it as a way to point beginners around (though they probably would end up posting a thread, anyway).

I also think it would be good to include techniques for songs as well (intro to tapping (one string or so), two hand taps, full use of both hands, etc.) This would be to give an idea of what a song would consist of (example; Blindfolds Aside (Protest the Hero) - intermediate guitar following, basic fills, basic one string tapping; Hysteria (Muse) - somewhat advanced bass lead, intermediate speed.) Is that going beyond the nature of the thread?
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by samskii

THATS A CAKE!!???

KICK ASS!!
Is bad ass one or two words?
Quote by Thunderbird660
Grunge?
Most the songs could go under rock, but maybe a seperate place for grunge?

But yeah, looks good to me

grunge is really just rock with artists who don't like being famous.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

A solo section perhaps? Say by genre/difficulty/techniques.

People seem to be asking that sort of stuff and I know there are solos through out genres (isn't there a solo in a rancid song or something? Obviously a few early metallica songs; typical Viridian - BTBAM; some of the virtuoso type musicians like Billy Sheehan, Victor Wooten, etc.)

I know you have a section for just slapping, but I'm saying perhaps others as well (tapping, speed)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
I can do that.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

I reckon add the solo genre, and keep the rest as other. Keep it simple, people after punk songs will look in rock first.

Once you choose the songs you should hyperlink them to their respective tabs, that would be sweeeet!

And finally, Good luck! This thread has the potential to be awesome and improve heaps of peoples bass playing.