Hey people,
A couple of months ago I bought a Pacifica that I wanted to do up, however procrastination got the better of me and I gave it up. Yesterday I picked it up again with a renewed sense of inspiration and I have decided to fit it with a single humbucker; I have also decided that that humbucker will be the adequate one from my S470, so I'm going to need another one to fill that hole.

I made a thread a while ago on the same topic were I was told that changing pickups would be pointless considering my amp is a modeller, so I accepted the fact that I didnt need a new p/u. This time, however, I do. I've been looking at Dimarzio D-Sonics and D-Activators, the latter of which seems more suitable for me as told by the 'Pickup Picker'.

So are there any other p/u's that you'd suggest? Also can you inform me about 'pots' which come up often in threads about pickups and I have no idea
I don't want to spend a HUGE amount of money and tbh the £80 I'm planning to spend on the D-Activator is quite a stretch, so try to keep it less that £80.

Thanks GGA
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Behringer FCB1010 Emulating a FBV Longboard
well what tone are you after exactly?
Gear

Ibanez RG1451 (Bareknuckle Aftermath bridge, Cold Sweat neck)
Jackson DK2T(Bareknuckle Miracle Man bridge,SD Jazz neck)
Ibanez RG321mh(SD JB bridge)
Epiphone SG-400,
Ibanez RG370DX,
Vintage V6

Pod X3 into KRK RP8 G2's
ah, but of course! Silly me. I play mostly metal, thrash, death etc. The S470 itself has pretty bad sustain so i thought maybe the p/u could help that? Cleans aren't THAT important as my neck/middle p/u's do that pretty well. I'd also prefer passives.
thanks
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Last edited by aradroxar at Mar 25, 2009,
http://www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk/venom.shtml
this should be a good choice and would save you some money from £80 and is better value in the UK than dimarzio's , but if your willing to add £10 to that you could get a bareknuckle painkiller or miracle man which would be good (assuming you chose the plain black open poled version instead of the fancy covered ones)
Gear

Epiphone SG-400,
Ibanez RG370DX,
Vintage V6

Pod X3 into KRK RP8 G2's
Wilde (formerly Bill Lawrence) L500XL? Very bright, clear. Good definition and very nice cranked for metal. Not quite the output of a D Activator but not the price, either. I have the older L500 in my basswood Yammy and I love the range. Something to do with the chrome surround, I believe.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

@acidrain:
cool, i'd happily take that over the Dimarzio, but i'm worried about the tonal difference. Will it be noticable?

@psychodelic:
thanks, but bareknuckles seem very expensive to me
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
can anyone advise me on dactivator vs swineshead venom. and also wether im going to have change any pots.

thanks to everyone who has posted so far
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Quote by aradroxar
can anyone advise me on dactivator vs swineshead venom. and also wether im going to have change any pots.

thanks to everyone who has posted so far

it certainly wont hurt to change the pots, especially if you use the tone and vol controls on your guitar, though if they are maxed constantly its not quite so important.
Gear

Epiphone SG-400,
Ibanez RG370DX,
Vintage V6

Pod X3 into KRK RP8 G2's
yeah i forgot about the price they are bit expensive
also if you have some left over cash you may want to replace wiring cuz
that can help quite a bit
this website sells some quality stuff from what ive seen and heard on youtube
http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/index.php

but in the end its not really that big of a deal i was just putting that out there
Gear:
Gibson Explorer, Wine red Natural finish
Hughes and Kettner Vortex Black series, Half stack
Peavey Stereo Chorus 400
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
@psychodelic:
cool, will do. I've heard of the magic rewiring does on S470's

@jak:
Wow! awesome, what do they sound like? do they compare to the d-activator/ swineshead venom?

thanks everyone
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
i have just discovered GFS pickups , So can anyone comment on D-Activator vs Swineshead Venom vs Irongear Steamhammer/Hot Slag vs GFS Power Rails/Crunchy Rails?

thanks
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
Last edited by aradroxar at Mar 26, 2009,
Last and final bump, calling anyone with experience!

THANK YOU
-Gear-
Line 6 Flextone III Plus
i havent heard any of the irongear pickups so i couldnt comment, but id rate the swineshead venom as better than the D-activator.

another swineshead you might want to look at is the xbucker, it has more output than the venom and is darker voiced with quite a bit of bass it may be worth a look but im not sure how it would sound in the mahogany ibanez, but was great in the alder guitar my friend has.
Gear

Epiphone SG-400,
Ibanez RG370DX,
Vintage V6

Pod X3 into KRK RP8 G2's