Hey guys, iv been playing a while and now i really want to get into legato playing, i realized that mine really sucks. Anyway my hammer ons are okay but my pulloffs kinda suck.

I was wondering about some exercises to work on both and correct posture on how to play legato, I saw freepower's video but i was wondering more about how the left hand to be placed and where the thumb should be placed and such. I postion my left hand at a slight angle when playing on the higher strings which makes it easier for me to reach notes because i have small hands, but i was wondering if there was a more efficient way.

If anyone can help than thanks alot ^^.
Yeah, in what way are your pull-offs sucking? As long as your pulling from an angle, as Stephen said, and muting any extraneous noise, it's just a matter of practice. As far as hand angle, I don't angle it unless I have a big stretch to do, but if you have smaller hands you might have to use an angle more frequently. No big deal there...
Quote by stephen_rettie
the only way i imagine your pull offs sucking is if your pulling straight off rather then at an angle.

Yeah, rather than going straight up off the fret, pull downwards or upwards and off at the same time
Schecter Sunset Custom FR
ESP LTD Ex-50
Vox VT50
Boss SD-1
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Macbook Pro, Alesis GuitarLink, Logic Studio 9
well you know when your doing these exercises where you hold down your first finger and the do trills with all of the other fingers? when i do that everything seems fine, but when i start on my middle finger and do trills from my ring finger and pinky finger i have no strength to even pull off at an angle, those fingers in that position suck really hard
Quote by BamRazzled
well you know when your doing these exercises where you hold down your first finger and the do trills with all of the other fingers? when i do that everything seems fine, but when i start on my middle finger and do trills from my ring finger and pinky finger i have no strength to even pull off at an angle, those fingers in that position suck really hard

Just start slow, man. At a certain level, you have to build up strength and endurance, especially with weaker finger combinations. Start ridiculously slow on such exercises and build up, I bet you'll see a big increase in a fairly short amount of time.

It's tough not to get frustrated, but just stick with it and it'll pay off.
Last edited by WhyteChocolate at Mar 25, 2009,