I can't seem to find good instructions for the 18v EMG mod, so can anyone give me a link to some instructions?

Thanks.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
You can buy one pretty cheap off of Ebay.
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
I think I'd like to do it myself. I think I did find a good diagram. I'm slowly trying to learn guitar wiring, as I'd like to consider doing upgrades and such out of my home when I get good.

This is just a baby step for me haha. Anyways, I can solder and everything which is the only "hard" part. I'm going down to radio shack soon to get the battery "holders" haha.
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
I never thought I'd be suggesting the search bar to a 5 year UG veteran but....

Use the search bar. There is an entire thread dedicated to the mod, including extensive instructions, diagrams, alternate wiring, switching options, etc.

Click!
I wouldn't do it. My friend has that mod and it doesn't sound any better to me. It's a waste of time. Some people will argue with that but I don't care for it. Of course I quit using emg's anyway. They are crap.
Quote by hcsn2008
I wouldn't do it. My friend has that mod and it doesn't sound any better to me. It's a waste of time. Some people will argue with that but I don't care for it. Of course I quit using emg's anyway. I think they are crap.

Fix'd
Quote by WtrPlyr
Fix'd

I consider it fact. I used to be a user of them too. I mean after using crappy passives when you use active emg's it sounds great. But then when you get a really good passive it sounds way better. I just can't go back to emg's. I still have an emg 81 in one of my rgt's. I love that guitar but I can't never play it because the emg just doesn't cut it like my dimarzio's.
Quote by WtrPlyr
I get that. But it's not like they're completely useless. They're decent pickups but just not the best.

Yeah but people are now trying to make them better by doing this mod and it doesn't. Amazing what marketing can do though. All emg does is pay people to use their product and kids see their favorite bands using them and think they are the best. When there are passives that are cheaper, don't use batteries and sound 10 times better.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/the-sevenstring-org-workbench/66645-tech-how-to-the-reversible-18v-mod.html

Go down to maplins and grab yourself 3 9v battery clips, some heatshrink and if you really feel like goin mad a soldering iron.

You can do it by twisting the wires together as the heatshrink will help hold them in place or you can solder the joints, its up to you.

I think it helps the tone quite alot, especially the cleans and for about £2 if you dont like it you havent lost much.
Quote by hcsn2008
When there are passives that are cheaper, don't use batteries and sound 10 times better.

Learn to EQ

In the right situation actives can blow passives out of the water.
Quote by UncleCthulhu
Learn to EQ

In the right situation actives can blow passives out of the water.

Learn to EQ? I've been playing 12 years I know how to EQ my amp. That has nothing to do with how an active sounds vs the natural warm sound of a passive. It doesn't matter how I eq the amp. Pickups and amps are two different things. Actives never blow good passives out of the water. Where are you getting this? Have you played good passives? Put a d sonic dimarzio against an emg 81 in a mahogany body guitar. The EMG 81 will sound sterile. The dimarzio harmonics will come out better, the low end is much more chunkier and the gain is even better. It works very well with the heavy wood also.

Eqing the amp isn't going to matter. I know what kindof settings I want. It's not going to matter if I turn up the highs, down the highs, more mids, down the mids, same with the lows.. the emg still sounds sterile in the guitar. The passives sound open and massive.

There is no magic setting on an amp that makes the emg not sound sterile. It just does.
Last edited by hcsn2008 at Mar 25, 2009,
yeah but right now youre speaking against all actives and only talking about emg81s. there are other actives with more merit, even the 707s and 808s are much natural and awesome than the 81s.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
Quote by hcsn2008
Learn to EQ? I've been playing 12 years I know how to EQ my amp. That has nothing to do with how an active sounds vs the natural warm sound of a passive. It doesn't matter how I eq the amp. Pickups and amps are two different things. Actives never blow good passives out of the water. Where are you getting this? Have you played good passives? Put a d sonic dimarzio against an emg 81 in a mahogany body guitar. The EMG 81 will sound sterile. The dimarzio harmonics will come out better, the low end is much more chunkier and the gain is even better. It works very well with the heavy wood also.

Eqing the amp isn't going to matter. I know what kindof settings I want. It's not going to matter if I turn up the highs, down the highs, more mids, down the mids, same with the lows.. the emg still sounds sterile in the guitar. The passives sound open and massive.

There is no magic setting on an amp that makes the emg not sound sterile. It just does.

Have you played good Actives? so far, it seems you have only played through EMGs, which are sometimes bottom of the barrell, in certain cases. but there are amazing active pickup systems.

many bass players use active systems because of how good it sounds. i don't care who you are, a P bass passive pickup will not sound as good as a Warwick bass' active system.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
I do think actives sound better in bass guitars but not guitars. And yeah I'm talking emg's that's what this thread is about but I have played through only a few more actives and they sounded the same to me. It wasn't much different.

This is what doesn't make any sense. You guys keep saying "Theres some actives that sound more organic and more natural" Well why get out there and try to hunt an active that sounds more natural and cost more when you can just get a passive that already sounds like that? It's pointless.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/the-sevenstring-org-workbench/66645-tech-how-to-the-reversible-18v-mod.html

Go down to maplins and grab yourself 3 9v battery clips, some heatshrink and if you really feel like goin mad a soldering iron.

You can do it by twisting the wires together as the heatshrink will help hold them in place or you can solder the joints, its up to you.

I think it helps the tone quite alot, especially the cleans and for about £2 if you dont like it you havent lost much.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's key right there. At least for now anyways. I have 2 passive pick ups in this guitar too, but they are stock epiphone les paul one's right now and they SUCK. I don't really have much money to upgrade them, as I just bought a few things already for it.
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp