Hey all,

I hope that this isn't in the wrong forum so here goes.

I've been playing guitar a little more lately and I've slowly and slowly started coming up with better stuff. I was thinking if I started recording myself not only would it improve my playing because I could hear all my mistakes better, I could maybe start putting some songs together.

So my question for all of you is...............What is the cheapest way I could record guitar tracks onto my laptop?

My buddy has this little Behringer amp modeler (Which didn't sound half-bad for it was btw) that he had plugged into a DI box that then when into the laptop. Is this what I would have to do as well or could I maybe do it all in one shot with one product? And remember cheapness is definitely key here, I'm a poor college and barely have enough for tuition.

Thanks for the replies!
(Gear in profile)

Yes I do like metal, no I'm not a close minded idiot.
Quote by vitchb
guitar >toneport gx > USB > cubase LE

+1 this is the best way to go
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
plugging straight into the sound cards line/mic in is the cheapest since all you need is a $2 adapter for the cable.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
you can buy a small adaptor, about an inch long, to go from patch cord to mic jack on your laptop. they cost $4.00

go to your electronics or guitar store, you'll find one

EDIT: ^^^what he said
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Quote by WtrPlyr
Or Audacity

agreed, but there is no eficiant way of getting the tone into the comp... still need a tone port or something --- the software is negligable.. otherwise I would actually recomend a ripped version of cakewalk sonar, Logic, or protools
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Quote by whytefyre_hawk
Hey all,

So my question for all of you is...............What is the cheapest way I could record guitar tracks onto my laptop?

1. get audacity. it's free.

2. line out from guitar amp into back of computer line or mic in using a plug adapter.

3. profit.

^^^ edit: what they said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by WtrPlyr
Or Audacity

Cubase beats audacity
Gear!
Jackson RR3 with EMGs!
B.C. Rich KKV
Yamaha F-310 Acoustic

Digitech Bad Monkey.

Peavey Valveking 112
Using your onboard sound card will result in latency that makes the interface un-useable... dont do it.
In the end -- the cheapest way is to go about the Radio Shack deals-- It does work but with many, many restrictions.

The plus of getting a line 6 is you get a guitar in not a line in (the impediance does matter) plus you get the added effects if you dont already have them.
Main Rigs
Guitars

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Are you sure you want the cheapest option? I agree with a lot of the posts, just buy a 1/4" to stereo mini and record directly to your mic input on the laptop. Is that going to get you satisfying results? Probably not, because most of the time the volume and quality just isn't going to be there when you record. You'll most likely end up with a lot of line noise as well.

Some low cost options are items that have been suggested here as well (toneport gx, audio buddy, etc.). You can also achieve some even better quality recording success by purchasing a guitar effects pedal with USB out. You get all the effects from the pedal directly recorded to your computer.
protools wins
my computers to crap to use it though
you could also use Kristal
you can do some mastering with it
Quote by superfish123
protools wins
my computers to crap to use it though
you could also use Kristal
you can do some mastering with it

Well protools is overkill for home use really seeing as you need protools compatible interfaces, but yes cubase/sonar/logic will do just fine. Not sure if audacity will accomidate VST's or the toneport, so not sure on that.

But as i said before, dont go for the adapter into your soundcard, lag lag lag lag