how much string do you guys put through the peg hole before you start winding it up. sometimes i just guess the amount of string to put and sometimes i end up not having enough winds around the peg or having way too many. how much slack do you guys leave for each string?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
2 or 3 inches sticking out of the peg that youre gonna have to clip off? is that for every string?
My Gear:

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Junior
Standard Stratocaster (JB Junior in Bridge Position)
Peavey Raptor Plus Exp

Amps:
Marshall MG100HDFX/MG412 Slant Cab Half Stack
Peavey TransTube Rage 158
Quote by guy66657
2 or 3 inches sticking out of the peg that youre gonna have to clip off? is that for every string?

no i put the string all the way through, then clip off all but 2-3 inches past the tuner. then poke just a little bit through, bend it to a hook and tune it.
I put it through and, on solid strings, tie off with about 1/2 to 1 inch of play which I wind on. Wound strings will grip a previous wind so don't need tying but I still leave plenty of slack to wind on a couple of full turns. Then I trim to a 1.4 inch as it should be very solid and no slipping.
Remember to do one at a time.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

depends on the guitar headstock. my buddy owns a dean cemetary gates which is amde to have longer strings, but typicalll i leave 2-3 inches of string
Dean Vendetta XM Custom Build
Guitar - Ebay 20/20
Pickups - GFS H/O Hex 40/40
Tuners - Sperzel locking 59.99/59.99
Bridge- Tone Pros - 89/89

the plan. take a 20 dollar guitar and make it sound decent

COMPLETE!! PICS SOON!!
Ball ends through the peg. Clip just short of the fine tuners. Works like a charm.
Quote by Black-Metal
you sir, are my favourite american

When god gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD!
depends on the string, but usually enough for 3 or so turns. Too much or too little will throw off tuning due to insufficient friction or movement of the string
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
i use most of my string when i wind them, its probably too much and wraps around about 7-8 times but it always how ive done it
P.R.S SE Custom

Line 6 Vetta combo