I've been playing for 3 and a quarter years, and have no problem with alternate picking etc, but i have a few problems with downpicking, especially songs such as master of puppets. I found myself to have a slight problem with the spider riff in master of puppets. The problem I'm having is that my right arm and hand tense up as i pick faster, which is severely cutting down my stamina. Anyone know how i can stop my hand from tensing up?
There's a special sex move I do called the Charizard.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Just play it slow over and over without getting tense and work your way up. When I was learning alternate picking the one thing people told me was to stay loose and if I ever did anything that caused my arm to get tight that I should slow it down until I got used to it then speed it up.
Quote by Thepoison92
Go as a tampon
White shirt, white hat, white trousers (cheap ones) and cover the bottom half in fake blood, also have to write 'Tampax' on the shirt, so people know what you are and can then be disgusted.
Quote by H_ngm_n
Just play it slow over and over without getting tense and work your way up. When I was learning alternate picking the one thing people told me was to stay loose and if I ever did anything that caused my arm to get tight that I should slow it down until I got used to it then speed it up.

Downpicking, not alt.
It's where you light the girls pubes, then put it out with your cum and run around the room flapping your arms screaming, "You don't have enough badges to train me!"
Play it slow and loose until it gets faster.
Last edited by tenfold at Mar 25, 2009,
I can't tell you how relieved I am that you didn't ask The Pit.
So. Serious answer.
Same finger exercises you do with your left. I prefer the V sign made with each pair of fingers in turn. This has many benefits and should improve your stamina on guitar too.

(phew! Got thruugh it without any obvious ****)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Try to relax and let it happen easier, you tense up because you're trying to hard. What you've got, sounds similar the 'death grip (I think)' a problem a lot of people get with gripping the neck too hard.

Relaxation is key to improving the way you play.

(Off topic: I'm glad this thread didn't come up in the pit...)

EDIT: Damn slow thinking!
Wow, I made it to the end without some referrence to "Special Happy Fun Time",

Basically what everyone else said, just take it slow, and make sure you stretch before you play. It's especially important with faster music like you mentioned, because if you dont, you could get tendonitis, and that's no fun.
Guitars:
Gibson Explorer - White
PRS SE Singlecut
Fender Acoustic

Amps:
Crate head w/ POD preamp
Crate 120 watt POS
Crate Cab
Another question, how much faster is Master than Painkiller by Judas Priest? Because i have no problem with Painkiller, so it must be quite a lot slower?
Quote by H_ngm_n

This is only partly true.

You definitely do need to practice things slowly making sure that there is absolutely no tension. It's also important to find the exact speed where tension begins. What you really need to do is play a bit at the fastest speed you can play without tension, then keep boosting the speed until you reach your maximum speed, and slightly beyond. Then again drop your speed down again. Each time you do it, you should be able to play tension free slightly faster.

Really it's like building stamina for anything. You can't build stamina by staying within your limits, you have to push yourself past your capabilities in order to increase your capabilities.

If a weightlifter can comfortably lift 200lbs without trouble, continuing to do so will not make him strong, and no matter how many times he lifts those 200lbs, it'll never allow him to lift 250.

So, in reality, if you want to be able to play MoP without tension, you're going to have to actually start playing it past it's normal 220bpm. Even if it sounds terrible, even if you can't keep up. Eventually this style of practice will make the normal 220 much more manageable and much less tense.

It's important to note that this style of practice will introduce some sloppy habits into your playing, so you must make absolutely sure that at the end of each practice session you reinforce good playing habits by playing slowly smoothly and cleanly.

Also, don't injure your wrists