Hey UGers!

Gotta quick ? that I'm hoping there is some good technical advice on: Bend - n - Roll

-------------12----------
----------12-------------
------14b16-------------
--------------------------

EDIT: Changed 12b14 to the correct riff of 14b16.

This above riff occurs 2-3 times in a row and played very quickly. I'm obviously NOT at the quickly part or even close - workin on this at around 60bpm.

I bend 12-14 no problem and have gotten the hang of silencing a bend at that point... I then release and roll my finger across b and e... but I notice at this point my fingers are way off the fretboard.

Now I do not experience this issue on the 5th fret doing the same lick... so I suspect it's a technical issue with my playing....

Any video's, lessons on how to do these 2 items together? I have watched plenty of bend and roll lessons, but dont see any using both as a lesson in itself.
Last edited by Slapknot at Mar 25, 2009,
Where are you seeing this done? I've never actually come across an instance where I've needed to do something like that.

Anyway, my suggestion, bend with your ring, bar with your pinky. You don't want to be bending and barring with the same finger it's just not practical.
I'm not sure what fingers do you use, I suggest placing the 1st finger on the 3rd string, 2nd on the 2nd string, and 3rd on the 1st string, so you have the for of an A chord in 1st position. I'm assuming that it's quite tricky to do that with one finger, so (if you're trying it with only one finger), I suggest using additional two, so it makes the riff quite simple.
Are you bending down? Try being upwards towards the lower strings.
Quote by wesselbindt
Are you sure it's not:
--------12---
-14b16-----
That's a lick that's way more common.

Other than that I have no idea.

Duhhh.... THAT'S the riff... my apologies for the original being documented incorrectly... I suspect this will cause me to lose enough face to prevent additional suggestions?

The fingering I am using is what I believe is the norm: 3rd finger for the bend, first finger for the 'roll' across the strings.

I suspect I could find it in some blues youtubes but was hoping for an actual lesson on how to 'join' these two techniques (bend/roll) into a fluid sounding riff....
Last edited by Slapknot at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by lockdown91
I'm not sure what fingers do you use, I suggest placing the 1st finger on the 3rd string, 2nd on the 2nd string, and 3rd on the 1st string, so you have the for of an A chord in 1st position. I'm assuming that it's quite tricky to do that with one finger, so (if you're trying it with only one finger), I suggest using additional two, so it makes the riff quite simple.

That wouldn't work very well. First finger bending is hard enough as it is, but having the next two fingers fretting a note makes it damn well impossible to properly control

Either Ring finger doing the bend, and pinky barring, or alternately middle bending and ring barring.

I suppose you could use your middle to bend, and use your pinky on the E string and your ring on the B string, but I wouldn't suggest it. When I tried doing that it looked like my ring finger naturally pushed the B ever so slightly throwing it out of tune.
Use your first finger to barre the 12th fret on the B and E String while producing the bend with your second and third?
Quote by Thy Woodzy
Use your first finger to barre the 12th fret on the B and E String while producing the bend with your second and third?

Thanks Woodzy: Know of any lessons on how to incorporate a bend and roll technique together?
Quote by Slapknot
Thanks Woodzy: Know of any lessons on how to incorporate a bend and roll technique together?

I don't really understand what you're looking for. You do the bend with one finger, and you play the next two notes with a different finger. They're in succession, not really "together". Doing that fluidly involves little more than good timing and clean fingering. There's no trick to it, you just practice the two moves in succession until you can do it smoothly.

For what it's worth, I'd play the G string with an upstroke, followed by a downstroke for both the B and E strings.
Yeah, I use that lick all the time in my soloing, I bend with my middle finger, hold it there, mute it, and then hit the other two notes which are barred with my index finger, and just repeat it.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
Quote by Glimsom
Yeah, I use that lick all the time in my soloing, I bend with my middle finger, hold it there, mute it, and then hit the other two notes which are barred with my index finger, and just repeat it.

Groovy - now here's what I'm unsure of: Sounds like you're barring the notes (which has been stated a couple of times here)...so when this is played both the B and e strings are ringing?

I was assuming this was played with the bend followed by both strings plucked cleanly - not just barred and strummed.

It is called, dare I say, rolling? You roll the first finger so that it silences the B string and plays the e.

I apologize for not being clear in my question. It's been hard enough trying to search on it. To restate: I can find lesson on how to bend. I can find a lesson on how to roll. I cannot find a lesson on how to join these two techniques and play the above riff cleanly and quickly - repeating it.

I'll just keep practicing/searching... sorry again for the madness.
Well, when I say hit both notes, I mean individually, so no notes ring simultaneously, I just mute the unwanted notes before I hit the next, with my palm, giving it the triplet feel I think you're going for.
Jackson KVX10
Epiphone EB-3

Bugera 6260
Laney Supergroup Mk 1
Marshall VS100RH
Laney LX412A

Bad Monkey
Crybaby
Metal Muff
Fish N Chips
bar the 12th fret both strings with your index finger, then with your 3rd finger bend the 14th fret up... also, the trick for this lick is the picking... pick like this > down down up . this picking is the most efficient pick motion to use for this pattern.

I just made you a video to help you out, hope you like it:
http://www.youtubeguitarlessons.tv/video/333537-bend-roll-free-guitar-lesson-response-to-ug-forum.html
Last edited by monkfunk at Mar 26, 2009,
Keep practicing it. The fingerings that have been mentioned are right, so you really do just need to practice.

I did this the other day actually. Part of the Trooper Solo has a bend like yours, then instead of the the 12th fret b and e, its a hammer on afterwards. So bend, hammeron, bend hammer on. The picking was tricky. I couldnt even do one when i started, abnd after a few days of on and off practicing (whilst also playing other ****) its pretty much in the bag.
Awesome... I'm gonna try the new picking... I think what was bothering me the most of how I was doing it was A) How mine sounded - just sounded bad and B) Repeating the lick over and over it would just sound worse and worse...haha.

I think the picking and probably just getting used to that type of fingering will solve this little dilemma.

Thanks again UG!
Quote by Slapknot
Awesome... I'm gonna try the new picking... I think what was bothering me the most of how I was doing it was A) How mine sounded - just sounded bad and B) Repeating the lick over and over it would just sound worse and worse...haha.

I think the picking and probably just getting used to that type of fingering will solve this little dilemma.

Thanks again UG!

checkout my post above, I edited it with a link to a video I made for you.

hope you like it!
Quote by monkfunk
checkout my post above, I edited it with a link to a video I made for you.

hope you like it!

RIGHT ON! PERFECT BRO!!! Make it look so damn easy... hahaha.... that sound you had was what I'm after - a clear distinction between each note and not all jumbled up like it was strummed.

I hope ya realize I'm gonna sit for the next week playing that same segment, 045-1:04, over and over and over again until I nail this down... hahah