im going to be gluing in the neck of my double neck kit and its supposed to be a bolt on but screws broke and its just a big mess. so im going to glue them in. but there is no heel joint (not sure if thats what its called) so i didnt know if i need one and if it makes a difference?

oh and its the thing circled in the pic
Attachments:
heel joint.JPG
Dont glue it, fix the holes and screw it.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I'm not sure if glue will hold it.

Are you sure there is there no way you can fill the holes and re-drill them?
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Silvertone 1448L
TC Electronic Polytune
Fender Blues Jr.
More in profile...
The trouble is that there is a big difference in the amount of gluing surface area on a neck that is designed to be glued in, compared to a neck that is supposed to be screwed in. I'm really not convinced you'll have enough strength there when you string it.
Quote by savage94
no, i want to glue it in i fU cked up the holes when i went to drill them

If you are knowledgeable enough to ignore good advice when you get it, why are you asking the question in the first place?

A bolt on neck DOES NOT HAVE sufficient surface area for glueing in. Period.
Using Titebond, will ensure that the glue joint doesn't fail, so what will happen, is the wood will be ripped away from the body or the neck when it breaks.

As was suggested by my honourable friend, fix the screw holes.

Drill out the affected holes so that they can accept a wooden dowel (round bit of wood), then glue the dowel into the hole with your Titebond.

Now you can position your neck in the body, mark through the holes in the body, in to the neck, then drill pilot holes for your screws, then screw it together.

Or, fack your guitar up. Choice is yours.
i understand this and im not ignoring the advice, actually i appreciate it. but i had a couple of ideas i want to figure out before i go filling in the holes and doing it again.

what if i filling the neck pocket a little bit on the sides and make it look like this and cutting the neck joint to fit inside
Attachments:
heel joint.JPG
Last edited by savage94 at Mar 25, 2009,
FFS, man.

STOP IGNORING THE ADVICE. YOU WILL NOT HAVE A PLAYABLE GUITAR IF YOU TRY TO GLUE IT IN.

------

Shwiggity.
There is absolutely no feasible way to glue a bolt neck unless you get a new neck, that has a tenon.
And honestly, what's so hard about putting dowels into the bolt holes? It's by far the simplest and time efficient solution.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
ok so basically i just put a dowel in the holes in the guitar body sand them down, but then what about the neck holes? i may also be able to just keep the holes but i dont know. i tried to bolt in the necks the other night but one screw broke and i had to pull it out . it really sucked. so i just dont want that to happen again. i dont know what i did to do that.
Quote by savage94
ok so basically i just put a dowel in the holes in the guitar body sand them down, but then what about the neck holes? i may also be able to just keep the holes but i dont know. i tried to bolt in the necks the other night but one screw broke and i had to pull it out . it really sucked. so i just dont want that to happen again. i dont know what i did to do that.

if you cant manage to screw a neck in properly then i doubt you will be able to get a set neck done right.

you can dowel the neck holes too.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
The dowel thing is actually pretty strong and not hard to do. But you need to figure out what your doing wrong with the screws that your breaking them. If the holes in the neck arent deep enough the screws bottom out bind up then snap. You cant let the screw try to do all the work.
lol I tryed this once like everyone said It doesnt work it really did "F" that guitar up "DON'T DO IT!!!"
+ A bolt on neck dont sound bad at all just get all the paint out of the neck pocket so the neck can transfer vibration better
Life's A Garden Digg It
-Joe Dirt
Last edited by WyldeMan666 at Mar 26, 2009,
thanks , and yeah tackle berry i think i didnt drill far enouf and the screws looked cheap so ill have to get new ones does any one know what size screw to get ?
Well the screws usually supplied with aftermarket neckplates are #8s. But the the ones taken out of factory guitars are usually #10s. I chuck the #8s and go get the stronger #10s at a hardware store. The length varies guitar to guitar.
if you've messed up the holes in the body too you can fix them with dowel aswell.
ok thank you all. btw when im done with this build i will post pictures on a new thread