I am only asking because I found a FANTASTIC little bass in a pawn shop that is LITERALLY exactly what I want in a bass, it's HEAVY, it has a one-piece maple neck, and a P and J pickup. It's also VERY cheap.

Here's the problem, it's a left handed instrument.

Would I be crazy to considar buying it, flipping it around, restringing it, and essentially playing hendrix style?
I don't see any reason you can't. You will have to move the strap button but other than that it should work. The output jack will also be on the top rather than the bottom.
I think you may need to rotate the pick-ups. I'm not sure though. I can't understand for the life of me how pick ups work. All minor problems. I don't see anything to big a deal here.
All you would need to change would be the nut and strap button. Other than that I dont think there would be any problem with it.
Hendrix did the converse with a righty guitar, why wouldn't you be able to? LIke posted above - just swap the strap pin locations and reverse the strings and nut - you should be okay. You could even go so far as to re-route the jack input to the other side, if you wanted to.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
^agreed

And the P pickup would be flipped around from normal but that won't affect you unless you like to anchor your thumb there, but even then it would be a very minimal change.
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
My friend (a left handed guitarist) played bass in a band and just did that, it worked out OK for him (I believe it was an OLP or some big body).

(actually, he might have just played the strings backwards too, I'm not sure; I know he strings his guitars backwards and keeps the pups right handed)

Anyway, the point I'm saying is the body/controls didn't get in his way at all.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Or you can be extra cool and be like the guy from Kyuss and just play it upside down
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
yes. i play that way except i dont flip the strings and i play on a right handed guitar and im a lefty. only problem is high fret access.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by DeltaFunk
Or you can be extra cool and be like the guy from Dick Dale and just play it upside down

Fixed. That guy's name is Scott Reeder, btw.
Quote by Anjohl
I am only asking because I found a FANTASTIC little bass in a pawn shop that is LITERALLY exactly what I want in a bass, it's HEAVY, it has a one-piece maple neck, and a P and J pickup. It's also VERY cheap.

Would I be crazy to considar buying it, flipping it around, restringing it, and essentially playing hendrix style?
if your crazy, so am I..I play lefty, but use righthanded stuff flipped over and play inverted. For the times I "NEED" to play lefty normal, I have a nice lefty bass, and commonly play both ways.

I have a ton of youtube videos of me playing inverted, as well as a bunch with my playing lefty-normal. To me there is NO difference, just have to remember the E is on top instead of the G.

playing with the G on top is not as "UN-common" as you may think, but certainly not part of the majority of players bass or guitar out there...

the question is :

#1 will you need the highest fret access or not because the cutaways are now reversed?
#2 will the knobs get in the way of your arm over the body?

I can play almost anything flipped ( I say almost because there are some where the knobs are in the way, as well as the cutaways being too short to hit fret 15 and above when you flip them over)
Quote by Anjohl

I don't see a problem with it except playing on the upper register that dadgum horn getting in your way you would have to stretch those fingers out a bit

ot learn to play lefty
Quote by grifff
There may also be balance issues, guitars are less heavy than basses.

yep you are correct. that short horn would probably cause some hellatious neck dive