Page 1 of 2
I can get kind of close, but i was wondering if anybody had an exact guide on imitating dime's guitar sound?
Using the search bar would help, also the ultimate settings thread, but just to help you out Dime played SS amps and cranked the treble and I'm pretty sure he did the same to the gain.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by alternitivebass
Using the search bar would help, also the ultimate settings thread, but just to help you out Dime played SS amps and cranked the treble and I'm pretty sure he did the same to the gain.

Wasn't his time with Krank tube amps?

As far as imitating his sound, you can get his TONE, per se, but in order to immitate it completely, youd need his hands, arms, shoulders, and brain.

I don't think they make re-issues of those.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
EDIT: ^ In a "Domination" live video there were Marshall stacks. :/

It said in a guitar magazine I had ages ago, Bass: 10 - Mid: 0 - Treble: 10.
And it works for me.

Last edited by ctb at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by strat0blaster

As far as imitating his sound, you can get his TONE, per se, but in order to immitate it completely, youd need his hands, arms, shoulders, and brain.

oh im sure dean does some
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
Quote by Hoodoo Child
oh im sure dean does some

I'm sure they probably would if they thought it would allow them to make even MORE money off his reputation.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by strat0blaster

The later part of his career was, but his mormemorible part was with SS. I belevie they were Crates, but I'm not sure of the brand.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
ffs why do ppl keep asking and not searching. Right, dimey used a randall warhead is his time, however randall have discontinued this model and so the best option would probably be a randall V2, T2 or one of thier alternate amps, restinf of course on a decent cab, i beleive, like a lot of others dime used Celestion VC30s but i may be wrong. plus that guy is right, cut the mids, push the treb n gain, bass round 9:00 and less. As for guitar well, much to common misconceptions dime actually played a washburn for most of his career as dean were then out of buisness. as for now i would reccomend a dean ml, obv with a fr bridge. DO NOT GET A ****ING RAZORBACK. They are overpriced, have **** pups, and there shape does not compliment tone at all.
Quote by alternitivebass
The later part of his career was, but his mormemorible part was with SS. I belevie they were Crates, but I'm not sure of the brand.

Randall SS was his main amp until he went with Krank in the Damageplan years, I believe.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by alternitivebass

Nope, randalls, but yes he did use krank, but only AFTER leaving pantera. He used kranks in damageplan.
Quote by axe_thrasher
Nope, randalls, but yes he did use krank, but only AFTER leaving pantera. He used kranks in damageplan.

Nice I was right. Usually I'm sh*t with this kinda stuff...

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
in pantera he played randall century 100's, he barely used the warhead at all, and even then, that was towards the end of his career. its two parametric eq's going into a randall century ss amp. one eq is a mid boost, the other a scoop... don't know about amp settings...
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
RIP Dime (hey, someone had to do it
In order to live, you must be ready to die

R.I.P. DIO

FUCK JUSTIN BIEBER

Quote by Metallica_AC/DC
a mental asylum called Mike

Quote by Masamune
That's cuz you mad...Mike.

Sorry, had to get my corniness out of the way.
Quote by strat0blaster
Randall SS was his main amp until he went with Krank in the Damageplan years, I believe.

Ok he played Randalls. I can never rember what brand it was.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Team Lime Green!
To all the guys telling me to use the search bar, i did. I tried all sorts, and nothing. So i thought i'd start a thread.
just use the amps from Randall or Krank and drop the mids and you will reach somewhat close.
my gear:
Ibanez RGR321
Schecter Temperst Extreme
Line 6 spider 2 75w
Boss MT-2
vintage VOX Wah pedal
Korg pitchblack tuner
Google wins the thread.
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)
(Invalid img)

Also I think he had 2 whammy pedals, one on stage, and his guitar tech had one at the side, a crybaby, mxr flanger... blah blah pedals.

In short; High output PASSIVE seymour duncans in the bridge, big bodied guitars, whammy, wah, randall.
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Quote by DieYouBastard
To all the guys telling me to use the search bar, i did. I tried all sorts, and nothing. So i thought i'd start a thread.

That's BS because this thread has been done countless times and when I typed in "Dime Tone" I got a ton of results

SS amp with scooped mids (ughhh) and the gain maxed

Bill lawrence bridge pup (No dimebucker.....EVER! )

Whammy bar antics and a decent wah pedal

an EQ pedal

That's about it as far as I know,I've never really liked or wanted his tone so I'm no guru on it

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

waitwaitwait... dime's sound was pretty different across the differrent records. what one are you going for?

EDIT: also dime's tone was probably the worst thing about him, don't you think?
WONGA!
Quote by StringAssassin
I would be angry too if there were turds on my head.
Last edited by MooshMooshMarc at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by MooshMooshMarc
waitwaitwait... dime's sound was pretty different across the differrent records. what one are you going for?

EDIT: also dime's tone was probably the worst thing about him, don't you think?

I agree,his tone was pretty poor.It had way too much treble and was pretty damn sterile IMO.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by ctb

And it works for me.

The marshall stacks in the video are in the background...most likely belong to a different band who played before or after Pantera...if you look closely the Randall stacks up front are the ones Dime is using.

Most of the info in this thread is correct. Randall SS during Pantera, Krank during Damageplan. Bill Lawrence pickup...not the Dimebucker, wah, whammy, etc.

Damageplan rig: http://www.uberproaudio.com/content/view/92/38/

Pantera rig: http://guitargeek.com/rigview/415/
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Mar 25, 2009,
Even if there were marshalls on the stage, there is no possible way a marshall could ever sound like that. Unless he used the randalls as a Pre-amps!
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
I don't know why you'd wanna immitate anyone's tone - but his specifically. The guy was a hell of a guitarist - very skilled - but his tone...

For my taste, I never lower my mids any more than 12 'o clock position. Just sounds like a rubber band through a tweeter, IMO.

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
It's you
Quote by DieYouBastard
I can get kind of close, but i was wondering if anybody had an exact guide on imitating dime's guitar sound?

Let me start by saying you could not have picked a worse place to ask this! The website floods over with people who like to insult others because they don't like what others like. They also like to spread false information. Has no one said the Dime MXR pedal yet? Shocking...

Now, lets keep a couple things in mind. First is that Darrell enjoyed trying different stuff. He was forever experimenting with different gear, and modifying everything in sight. Down to poking holes in his speed knobs with a soldering iron to give them more traction! Second, don't bother trying to get the tone from the CD's. Darrell did a lot of double tracking, and other tricks to get the record sound. Always listen to live, and other stuff like that. Third, figure out what tone you want! Every album was different!

Now, lets begin! I'm gonna try to organize this a bit.

Amp:

The Early days was a Randall RG100ES, and RG100HT. The HT being the same as the ES, but with a XLR out, and in rackmount form. He then later Randall Century 200, then back to the RG100 for TGSTK. In all cases the cabs were Randall cabs with Jaguar speakers (Jags are made by Celestion IIRC). He also had his Randall Warhead. Getting a straight answer regarding this is like pulling teeth. I really don't know...

When DamagePlan started Dime sort of through a bunch of amps together. Warheads, Titans, Cyclones, and others. They all voice similar. Then he got a deal with Krank. Using hot-rodded Rev's (The modded Rev later became the Krankenstein).

Regarding the use of tube amps (besides the Krank), Darrell always had a Tube amp around for cleans! Fenders, Carvins, in the later dates some Randall tube amps, and after the deal with Krank, he had a Chadwick. Remember what I said earlier though! He was forever changing things, so no one can really say anything for sure!

Writers thoughts- The Warhead, Warhead X2, Cyclone, and Titan are able to get you a pretty solid tone similar to the later years (FBD-Forward). Most claim the Warhead X2 to be Dime's sound in a box! Though were made in extremely limited numbers, and go for very high prices, IF you can find one! Also, Dean is releasing a amp called the Black Tooth that is supposed to be a hot-rodded RG100ES. They brought in original designer of the RG100ES (can't remember his name), and Grady Champion (Dime's guitar tech, and right hand man for well over a decade). I'm also told the Madison Prophecy has similar voicing to the X2. Can't confirm that...

Effects:

He ALWAYS had a Parametric EQ on hand! This was really a key part of his sound. The RG100ES doesn't really have THAT much gain, but with the boosted signal of a Parametric EQ really kicks it over the edge. Namely, he used Furman PQ3, PQ4, PQ6, and the reissues (I believe he was the one that got Furman to do a reissue!)

He also used a MXR Flanger/Doubler pretty much always.

Then he had a Blue MXR 6-band graphic EQ. I'm told the black one they make today is the same besides the bypass.

As far as Wah's go, early days he used a Vox, then a Dunlop, and later he had all kinds, and eventually his own Crybaby From Hell.

Don't forget the Digitech Whammy. The early models, but the new one is fine also. Why two? Dunno. I think it is possible that Grady was fiddling with one behind the scenes, and one was on stage for Dime.

For a gate, he used Rocktron HUSH pedal for a LONG time.

Later days (Damage Plan) he had pedals like a Zakk Wylde OD.For a extra solo kick. Pedals like the Maxon Chorus. Also had a G-Major

For the Tuner he used a Korg DTR-1 (I think a DTR-2000 later). When he tuned his guitar, he tuned 40-Cents under whatever tuning!

He also used Tour Supply, Inc switchers, and Furman power condioners.

Gear:

He used Tortex Green picks.

He used to use La Bella strings, but he later switched to DR strings and never looked back (He has his own strings, DR Hi-Voltage Strings).

Writers Thoughts- I use these strings! They are amazing! The have a lot of grip, that can be hard on your fingers if you aren't used to it, and they bend so easy! I'm using 10-52 playing standard tuning, and they took a little getting used to STILL.

He used Bill Lawrence L500L, and L500XL for bridge pickups. A lot will argue regarding if he used Bill Lawrence USA, or Bill&Becky. In the Clinic video he claims he gets his Bill Lawrences from Stew-Mac. Stew-Mac carried Bill&Becky! Not to say Darrell never played with a USA, but he used a Bill&Becky first!

Writers Thoughts- About "Flipping" the pickup. I don't know! I have not cut apart a L500XL to see if it had any differences. Don't be a fool and buy into this rumour! If you want, call Bill Lawrence, and ask!

Writers Thoughts Two- The Dime Bucker was made using a prototype BL pickup Dime had. Most claim it doesn't sound good unless you are doing lower tuning, or with tube amps. IDK, never used one.

For a neck pickup, although it changed A LOT, the most noted seems to be a '59.

Shure Wireless

Guitar:

First, some history.

Darrell's first ML (Or should I say ML's?) was a Cherry Burst Standard which his Dad bought him. At the same time he won a Maroon ML in a contest. Read the quote below for details on the Maroon. The Cherry took a trip to a friend of his, Dad's shed, and with a chisel, they installed a Floyd Rose. All that is left of that guitar today is a head stock... The rest of the pieces may be at Dime's house, don't know.

"Darrell won the guitar, then sold it to buy the car. After going around, it ended up with Buddy Blaze's lead singer from his band. To which Buddy says he'll trade any guitar he has for it. After that Buddy got it, he hot rodded it with the paint, Floyd, and bunch of other stuff. Like filing the saddles to match the radius of the fret board! After he was done, Darrell saw the guitar, and begged Buddy to make him one like it. Buddy said he would but never really planned on it. After that, Buddy picked up a deal with another guitar company, and couldn't use it, so he let Darrell "borrow" it. Now, in one interview IIRC Dime said it was mailed to him, and in another Buddy said he dropped it off in person, IDK. Anyway, Buddy said to "borrow" it while he was making the guitar he had no plans of making. After which, Buddy pretty much said everything but it is yours. Or he may have, I have no idea. Not like I was there..."

For the guitar, for the style, and Mahogany body, rosewood fret board, and a Floyd Rose is the style of the guitar for the sound. Any old guitar will do in the real world. Try to track yourself down a '80-'83 Dean ML, and have it routed for a Floyd.

A lot to talk about regarding Dime's guitars, but none really relevant to tone. So, if you have any questions about a specific axe, bust out, and ask!

Playing Style:

Holy crap! This is just way to much to talk about! Dime had so many little tricks, and stuff, the only thing I can say is watch the videos, and use your ears! Tab is useless with Dime! So many little details, that it'll make your head spin!

My tips are practice alternate picking, scratch picking, palm muting, bending, vibrato, pinch harmonics, squeals, and scales.

Don't forget the Seagrams 7, and coke! Also, Coors!

Settings:

Don't even ask! Just don't! We don't know! It is your job to use your ears, and tweak!

What am I forgetting?
I WANT:
Engl Fireball
Last edited by XxAltecxX at Mar 27, 2009,
^ That was a great post. Listen to him.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
Title: Dimebag
Poster: DieYouBastard.

Oh c'mon, that's gold.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by ctb

And it works for me.

uhh disgusting. I'm so proud to not be a metalhead anymore

On the TS's topic Geez....its a shame that you can't get Dimebag's tone, if only there was a guitar or 33 that were based off of dime's sound/raped his name that you could purchase with money
UG's Prodigal Son
Quote by JoePerry4life

Best answer ever. Period. End of discussion.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.
Quote by JoePerry4life

If only I could learn to type...

Quote by Cody_Grey102
Title: Dimebag
Poster: DieYouBastard.

Oh c'mon, that's gold.

Yes, hilarious...If you are a snot nosed brat that doesn't have respect for the dead.

Quote by lunaticfringe93
uhh disgusting. I'm so proud to not be a metalhead anymore

On the TS's topic Geez....its a shame that you can't get Dimebag's tone, if only there was a guitar or 33 that were based off of dime's sound/raped his name that you could purchase with money

Well, those suggested settings aren't anywhere near correct. I myself use the setting of 5-Low 4-Mid 7-High, and use a Parametric EQ to boost the mids about 5db. Really gives a solid tone without having that empty scooped sound.

Darrell's brother (Vinnie Paul), and girlfriend (Rita) control Dime's estate. They would never do anything they felt was disrepectful to the person they truely loved. Before his death, he was already working out the details for about 90% of Sig' guitars. Dime wasn't a fool, he knew his name was worth money, but he also wasn't that conceded. It was for the fans, and the people who are looking for that style of guitar. It means even more now not having him with us. Each guitar preserves the memory of him, and for fans to have the chance to have something to remind them of a person they look up to.

It is easy to look at the negatives in things...
I WANT:
Engl Fireball
Quote by XxAltecxX
It is easy to look at the negatives in things...

It's incredibly hypocritical of you to say something like this after picking apart almost every post made after yours.
Your original post opened up pretty damn cynically too. So stop being such a hypocrite.
Your information was textbook perfect but I don't like your attitude.

By way of having input into the thread, the only Bill Lawrence pickups you should buy are the Wilde models; anything else is a low quality fake.
Quote by Rock Pig
It's incredibly hypocritical of you to say something like this after picking apart almost every post made after yours.
Your original post opened up pretty damn cynically too. So stop being such a hypocrite.
Your information was textbook perfect but I don't like your attitude.

By way of having input into the thread, the only Bill Lawrence pickups you should buy are the Wilde models; anything else is a low quality fake.

Never said I wasn't a hypocrite.

You don't like my attitude, I don't like how big my feet are, so we're even!

Just remember: I love you!

I need something to drink!

Oh, because it is a bit of a pain trying to find the link.

http://wildepickups.com/
http://www.billlawrence.com/

Just remember, it is a bit of a wait if you order pickups!
I WANT:
Engl Fireball
Quote by XxAltecxX
Never said I wasn't a hypocrite.

You don't like my attitude, I don't like how big my feet are, so we're even!

Just remember: I love you!

I need something to drink!

Oh, because it is a bit of a pain trying to find the link.

http://wildepickups.com/
http://www.billlawrence.com/

Just remember, it is a bit of a wait if you order pickups!

Okey dokie.
That was such a random series of words

Yeah. The Wilde pickups are probably the way to go.
Quote by strat0blaster

they make reissues/signature bull of everything else he ever owned or touched, why not that too?
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by XxAltecxX

Yes, hilarious...If you are a snot nosed brat that doesn't have respect for the dead.

oh god shutup. it's been 4 1/2 years already, mournings over, and that's not nearly as disrespectful as what his own endorsers are doing to his name.

btw, i found it funny
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Mar 31, 2009,
Quote by _Sanitarium_

I LOL'ed.

+1. Ironic irony is ironic...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by XxAltecxX

I didn't respect him when he was alive. In my mind, he gains no respect for dying. =]
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
Quote by strat0blaster

I'm pretty sure he used Randall Warhead heads but I may be wrong about that.
Basically ss amps with lots of gain and treble I guess.
Gear:
Fender CP Jazzmaster
Schecter PT Custom w/ Dimarzio crunch lab/liquifire
Marshall JCM2000 DSL+Orange 4x12
Orange Tiny Terror+Mesa Electra Dyne 2x12
Boss TU-2/NS-2/DD-6
Maxon OD808

MY BAND!
Page 1 of 2