Hey everyone. Lately i've been looking at buying a new tube amplifier head and junking my solid state head i currently have. I'm looking a lot into the ENGL Powerball tube head and the VHT Pitbull Ultra Lead head. Which amp do you think i should get since i am going to be playing alternative rock, rock, and metal?

I also was wondering how often the 6550 tubes blow out because i really don't want to have to replace 4 of those in the VHT very often at 50 dollars a piece.

-CJ
Last edited by cjb2293 at Mar 25, 2009,
for alt rock i'll take the ENGL or a Mark IV or a Peters Gryphon or a Splawn Nitro or a JSX
if you use it everyday for 5 hours then you need to do it every 2-4 months but if you RARELY use it then it will last for 1-3 years.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Mar 25, 2009,
assuming those two are the *only* two you're looking at, and for the tones you're after, i'd take the vht.

but at that kind of money, you have an absolute load of options, it's basically just a matter of trying everything you can, and seeing which you like best, unfortunately...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I would think 6550 power tubes would last a good while since they have a lot of headroom and are hard to bring to their breakup point.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
^^ budget??

tyme foar teh list???
feel free to add me
afaik, the 6550/KT88 lifespan is similar to 6L6 and EL34. They could have a bit more service life since they are like bigger versions of those tubes, but I know they run hotter too. It's still at least a year they should last with normal playing, and then you get the option of changing your tone a bit too. The biggest factor in what comes stock from the factory usually centers around what they can get the cheapest but still be reliable, not necessarily what sounds the best.

Between those 2 amps, they are pretty different sounding beasts IMO. The PB is very saturated and gainy, where the Pitbull is much more "dry" sounding and more open. They are pretty different in price though, are you getting them used? While the PB has some surprising versatility for a high gainer, the Pitbull UL wins there IMO. It's got some great sounds from top to bottom. I wouldn't get one without a GEQ either.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

tyme foar teh list???

yeah

Quote by Erock503

Between those 2 amps, they are pretty different sounding beasts IMO. The PB is very saturated and gainy, where the Pitbull is much more "dry" sounding and more open. They are pretty different in price though, are you getting them used? While the PB has some surprising versatility for a high gainer, the Pitbull UL wins there IMO. It's got some great sounds from top to bottom. I wouldn't get one without a GEQ either.

exactly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ link to teh list (im saving bandwidth)
MAH FOCKENNN LIST

some of them cant do alt rock though.
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Mar 25, 2009,
Alfred's list > bible
Gear:
Jackson rr5+rr3
epiphone les paul std
fender classic 50's
Epiphone sheraton ii
blackstar ht-5s
vox ac15c1
bugera 333xl
framus 2x12
mxr carbon copy
mxr bls chorus
ehx holy grail
I would get the VHT out of those two.

Other amps to consider:

ENGL Invader/Savage
6505/6505+/5150-III
A Recto of some sort

EDIT: That list in pretty good, but some things (like Diezels) will be out of your budget, if it only covers a Pitbull/Powerball.
Last edited by thedonutman at Apr 4, 2009,
Quote by Kershwin
I would honestly get this over a powerball , recto or a pitbull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk7XCSMRP9A&feature=channel_page

hearing is believing.

I would honestly not.

What kind of metal? If its just trash or something you could run with a Splawn Nitro which is basically a marshall on crack and steroids.

(most of) the others speak the truth though, with a budget like that the sky is the limit. Go out and try.
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Apr 4, 2009,
Quote by Kershwin
I would honestly get this over a powerball , recto or a pitbull.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk7XCSMRP9A&feature=channel_page

hearing is believing.

HAVE YOU SEEN MAH LIST???
can you see a Bugera in there???
no.....
because they are Peavey clones............... CRAPPY PEAVEY CLONES.

and Mesa,ENGL,VHT and the other amps in mah list uses High Quality parts that can last you for years. and Bugera is made by Behringer which uses cheap plastic SH*T!!!
feel free to add me