if you use a pick for a bass is that kind of noobish instead of using your fingers. I love using the pick for everything but I have noticed many bassists use there fingers.
JAY
Guitar about to get: Gibson SG 61 (Reissue)
In need of new Amp and pedals for it.
A lot of punk and metal bassists use a pick because of the speed they need. I love playing fingerstyle because of the delicious sound opposed to a click-like trebly sound from the pick. It's just up to your preference. If you play fingerstyle, you have a lot more possibilities, but it depends on the genre.
Quote by Jaymz2K
Kidding, they hate you and want you to be miserable.

Also, Charmander.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
If I teach myself to cum on command with the word Jackpot... Won't make any bets, but I'll still be a winner.
Quote by Bowe
so wait... does PETA think all gay people are vegans?
Matter of taste i think. I started playing with my fingers, and was comftorble with it, but then i started to play guitar aside of playing bass, and sorta went over to play with a pick for bass too. I still use my fingers for some songs, like Tie Your Mother Down and rock'n'roll like that. I use a pick for Slayer, Metallica and everything that needs a trebly sound.
If you like the tone, or just egenerally prefer it,then don't let stupid stereotypes stop you
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by TheMidasTouch
I use fingers.
I believe most bass elitists will tell you it is supreme to a pick.

Bass elitists can shove that up their ass.

Use whatever you want- expand and use all. Don't limit your bass paying arsenal, because there may be situations where a pick will be fantastic, and other times when fingers is what you need. Anyone who says different is wrong, simply put.
its just a matter of opinion, if you like the feel/sound then do it.

in my band i use a pick because were punk and it gives a better punk sound but on my own i use fingers as i prefer the sound when doing more slow/funky stuff
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
It's all about what sound you want, sometimes you gotta get that treble sound to fit a song. I play with my fingers cause it has a fuller deeper tone and sounds much better. Don't let anyone tell you its about the speed of a song, because I can play songs that are usually picked with my fingers no problem. But when I need a pick to get a certain sound I'll use one. Just use both until you either find one you like more than the other or just keep playing both.
Stephen @ Relapse
congrats if u can use fingers on them speedy songs, but stick to the pick if you really want. When i play bass, i swap between picks and fingers, depending on the song. If you're covering a band, play like they do, but if you're doing your own stuff then you can choose.
The Iceman
I'm a fingers only guy. Nothing against using a pick (i'm primarily a guitarist, i'll have you know), i just find it very unnatural and uncomfortable using a pick on bass, and i feel that my fingers speed, steadiness and general technique has improved so much since i stopped using a pick
I use picks when I need the tone. Normally, I just dig into my strings, but sometimes I have to realize that I cannot get that bright of a sound without a pick. I also use picks for my delay effects because it just sounds better. I guess I also use them for somewhat tremolo like lines because I am cleaner at doing so with a pick.

I prefer fingers, but they aren't always the best.

(Plus some music is just more fun with a pick, like punk and pop-punk)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....