I know what the differences are between the two, but is it really worth making a rack?

I'm right now between either making a rack or saving up for a bogner uberschall (or maybe just a alchemist).
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Uberschall =/= alchemist
Uberschall >>>> Alchemist

i dont know a single think about racks, except that you neeed a pwer amp and a pre amp and some other **** in order to make noise.
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Last edited by WTF!!is a TAB at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Uberschall =/= alchemist
Uberschall >>>> Alchemist

i dont know a single think about racks

Yea, i know uberschall wins, but money may win and personally i think the alchemist isn't too bad
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
If you make a GOOD rack setup, you'll be in heaven. But a good rack is bloody expensive.

If you want some hints, though, look for a Hafler Triple Giant on eBay (preamp) and then invest in a Mesa 2:90 power amp or a Carvin.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
an uberschall will sound amazing. a rack setup will sound amazing and be incredibly versatile... but will also in the long run cost more as you keep adding to it... and its a hassle to move around....
Ibanez RG 550 (1989, MIJ)
--Peavey 5150--
Custom DIY 2x12
Peavey Bandit II
Ibanez AD 220 Analog Rack Delay
MXR Flanger (not the reissue)
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss NS-2
Dunlop 95q Wah (broken)
Heavily Modded Strat
The Alchemist is definitely NOT a bad amp. It's not an Uberschall or, my personal favorite amp of all time - a Shiva - but it is a good amp, and not everyone (myself included) can drop 2k on an amp (Shiva or otherwise).
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
So it seems like the alchemist is a good choice unless i'm willing to drop a few thousand for either another bogner or make a rack.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
Pretty much, yeah.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
You can build a rack used for relatively cheap, but compared to an Uberschall, tone will not come close. But, I have had a rack before that played amazingly well:
Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp
Mesa Boogie Quad Preamp
Ibanez Rack Delay
Furhman Power Conditioner

Used, all the stuff put me around 1,000 usd's, I would build one again, but it is alot to lug around.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You have no experience with racks??? What kind of guy are you?
buying the alchemist because you like the Uberschall is like buying an MG or AVT because you like the JCM800

Racks sound amazing, and are versatile, but could easily end up costing more than an Uberschall to sound anywhere near as good
i'd save Up for the Uberschall, because at a certain point you've gotta quit compromising and wait/save until you can buy it, and the racks are a hassle to set up, rearrange
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
A pretty badass rack can be had for cheaper than an Alchemist and sound better imo.

ADA MP-1 preamp into a Mesa 50/50 or something should do you just fine and be less than $1000. Or you could go with a cheaper power amp from Carvin or Peavey.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
So im now hearing that i could make a good rack better than the alchemist head, so what would i get for it.

What i really want is a high-gain distortion, good cleans, i guess a tuner, and i need a power conditioner. I want to try to replicate a bogner or mesa.

What would i get and for how much?

I also have effect pedals that i'll just continue to use cause i like them alot.
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
anyone have any ideas?
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
Like I said earlier. Look for a Hafler Triple Giant preamp- they're pretty cheap on eBay and Reinhold Bogner designed them. I know of one in Australia that's for sale if eBay isn't being kind to you.
Quote by Cathbard
Looks like an awesome deal, i just need to get some more money before i start this project. What else do i need?

I know that i need a power amp and i guess a power conditioner. What are some good ones?
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Quote by Garou1911

Donate to my cause
In almost all of the rack rigs I've built/used, I used both a head and a rack case. But if you're trying to avoid a head, there are certainly a ton of possibilities. The only real reason to go with a rack rig is for the versatility, if you plan on keeping a relatively simple setup, then a rack rig may be too much hassle and too much money.

Furman makes some excellent power conditioners, personally I usually just use a very simple rackmounted power strip and then use an "uninteruptable power supply" outside of the rack case.

Regarding preamps you have a ton of possibilities at virtually any price point. If you are looking for something inexpensive try taking a look at the following:

-Digitech GSP1101
-Tech21 SansAmp PSA-1.1
-Yamaha DG1000
-Carvin Quad X
-ADA MP-1

I prefer to have complete control over the preamp so I generally favor stuff such as the Digitech, Tech21, and Yamaha preamps over the other two (which have great switching options but not "complete" control in a sense).

You'll probably want an effects processor, as such something like the Digitech has a ton of effects built in, however depending upon price you may want to look at anything from the TC Electronic G-Major to the Eventide Eclipse. If you have complex switching requirements, or a bunch of stompboxes you want to incorporate you'll need a switching system, I personally recommend something from RJM Music Technologies (the RG-16 is what I tend to use more than anything else).

Regarding power amps, decide on whether you want a tube or solid state unit. Carvin has an inexpensive tube power amp that does really well, or you could buck up and get something top of the line such as a VHT. Marshall had a great solid state unit with the 8008 Valvestate power amp, but I much prefer the rackmountable Tech21 power engine units.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
The Engl E530 pre amp, mixed a Mesa or VHT power amp, a power conditioner, and a Digitech effects unit would probably sound really sick.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs