http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP102-X2N-Pickup?sku=302021

vs

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-SD-TB4-JB-TREMBUCKER?sku=300091

vs

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-DP222-D-Activator-X-Humbucker-Bridge-Pickup?sku=340012

vs

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_28&products_id=63

When I get my Jackson SL2h Soloist I want to switch out the bridge pickup for something I can get a really heavy tone with. Although i still want the guitar as a whole to stay pretty versatile (not because I play other genres but I want to incorperate other elements into my music), I want to get a real metal sound.

I mainly play thrash,death,black, and groove metals. Those are my main genres.

The TB-4 is already in the SL2h but I want to compare it to these other pickups I've researched.

Just a little backround on how I came to find out about these pickups

DiMarzio X2n's were used by Chuck Schuldiner from Death who is one of my all time favorite guitarists in one of my all time favorite bands. Along with several other notable artists who've used x2n's

The Seymour Duncan TB-4 comes with the SL2h but from what I've heard on UG it's very high gain yet still very versatile, sounds good....too good to be true?

I reallly like the sound I get from actives when I play metal with them but I still want a pickup that sounds a little more active than emg's. I want to find a good middleground between active and passive so I get the best of both worlds. UG'rs have told me that D-Activators are designed to sound like actives yet still maintain a passive organic sound.

The Nailbomb is something that has come up many times in my search. Basically heard that the high gain on that thing will rip your nutsack off. Idk
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
Last edited by TheBodomBullet at Mar 25, 2009,
NailBomb
/thread me thinks
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
^ +1
Peavey 5150 combo
1989 Ibanez RG750
MXR 10 Band EQ
Dean MLX
Spider III 15W
Yamaha FG700S

GAS list:
TC Nova Repeater
Quote by Soul Eater
^ +1

Really?

So my best bet would be to switch out the TB4 in my soon to be SL2h with a BKP Nailbomb?
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Nailbomb, maybe a warpig.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Well just to list a few of my favorite bands for preference:

Trivium, Death Children of Bodom, In Flames, Megadeth, Metallica, Pantera, Lamb of God, Machine Head, Judas Priest
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Duncan Distortion?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Just wait till you've got the guitar ffs.

Play with it a while, see how it works with your rig - if anythings lacking or not to your liking figure out exactly what it is and how you want it to change - THEN you can worry about what kind of pickups to get.

You can't make an informed decision on a pickup swap for a guitar you don't own.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 26, 2009,
Listen to Mr Seagull. I didn't even change the lousy pup in my Yamaha for two whole days to be certain it was as bad as I thought.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by steven seagull
Just wait till you've got the guitar ffs.

Play with it a while, see how it works with your rig - if anythings lacking or not to your liking figure out exactly what it is and how you want it to change - THEN you can worry about what kind of pickups to get.

You can't make an informed decision on a pickup swap for a guitar you don't own.

This, really.

If you think it's lacking in gain, you can pick the D Activator or the X2N. If you need more clarity than it already has, go for that D Activator. If you think you're lacking in punch, definition, and overall tone, dish out for the Nailbomb.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
I've used Nailbombs for years now and they're certainly fantastic pickups, however if you're playing an awful lot of metal they may not be a good choice for you. The Nailbombs tend to accentuate the higher end of the mids and are much better suited to smooth high gain lead tones than they are for crisp rhythm tones. Not that they do a bad job with the crisp rhythm tones (actually quite good compared to a lot of things) they just do much better elsewhere.

You may want to stay away from the Nailbombs and look at other stuff with a more "metal oriented" frequency response, such as the Bare Knuckle Painkiller or Warpig.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by Kendall
I've used Nailbombs for years now and they're certainly fantastic pickups, however if you're playing an awful lot of metal they may not be a good choice for you. The Nailbombs tend to accentuate the higher end of the mids and are much better suited to smooth high gain lead tones than they are for crisp rhythm tones. Not that they do a bad job with the crisp rhythm tones (actually quite good compared to a lot of things) they just do much better elsewhere.

You may want to stay away from the Nailbombs and look at other stuff with a more "metal oriented" frequency response, such as the Bare Knuckle Painkiller or Warpig.

^ +1

Also look at the Miracle Man or the Cold Sweats
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.