i want to make a guitar and i was wondering if this kit was a good choice...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Explorer-Electric-Guitar-Kit_W0QQitemZ160323640974QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar_Accessories?hash=item160323640974&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A2%7C294%3A50

and if not suggest me some ideas...btw i prefer an explorer thx

EDIT: it seems cheap for mahogany....would it be better if i use different pickups and maybe tuners

and i would like to keep it under $400 dollars

and i would like a premade body and neck...
Squirrels>all other animals group

Quote by Prophet of Page
I don't recommend passive pickups for any kind of blues tone. Ideally, you'd want a passive pickup with a reasonably low level of output.
Last edited by eahilder at Mar 25, 2009,
Kits are generally a bad choice. If you want to put 400 dollars into it, expect a guitar that'll play worse than a store-bought 400 dollar guitar.

Invest 400 now, save up more, and put more towards it. It'll be much more worth your time.
------

Shwiggity.
I swear to god there is a thread about kits every single day.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
I think it looks like it's worth taking a chance on. There are a lot of really horrible kits out there and there are a lot of good kits too. The good kits typically need a bit of TLC to make them good. Frets need leveling, neck need lined up, they need new pickups, electronics, tuners, and a new nut but you are getting a kit for God's sake! The whole point of getting a kit is that you have to work on it.

So I say go for it, and then let us all know what you think. It it's horrible then sorry, and if it's good then and the yanks can get reasonable kits and a reasonable price.
Not taking any online orders.
you would probably be better off buying a body and a neck separate and putting on all the hardware you want along with your pups of choice
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
The only kit I'll buy is a Carvin Bolt kit.

wait a minute I got one.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Your not going to get much of a kit for that price. You end up throwing away all the hardware and electronics as is so low quality. And they cut corners on the neck and body so they can include the hardware. 400$ just isnt that much any more figure a set of pickups alone is gonna be 150 and you still have to get all the hardware, body neck etc.
Quote by Tackleberry
Your not going to get much of a kit for that price. You end up throwing away all the hardware and electronics as is so low quality. And they cut corners on the neck and body so they can include the hardware. 400$ just isnt that much any more figure a set of pickups alone is gonna be 150 and you still have to get all the hardware, body neck etc.

All the reason to get a Carvin Bolt kit. Nothing needed to be replaced, USA made and customizable. CNC perfect, everything fits.

The base price is very attractive and just do a tru-oil finish job.

I got mine with a few upgrades and now $700 invested in it. It's a keeper.

Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+