So I have 2 or 3 people who want to learn guitar from me. I have no clue how to teach them, when I started taking lessons, I taught myself some things already. This people haven't a clue what to do. I don't know where to start. HALP!
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Rocktron Banshee Talk box
How long have you been playing?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by The_Sophist
How long have you been playing?

For about a year.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Basics dude...get the holding it and strumming/picking properly then teach them some basic open chords and the pentatonic minor box. Then show them the power chord shape.
If you have to post a thread like this, you probably aren't ready to teach.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I'd start with teaching them power chords so you get them playing a blues progression - so they can at least play something that sounds like something, then start teaching them open chords and some simple 3 chord songs
Quote by Archeo Avis
If you have to post a thread like this, you probably aren't ready to teach.

I am ready to teach I just don't know where to begin because I didn't start right.
Gear:
Epiphone Archtop Dot
Ibanez RG120
Peavey ValveKing 112
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss Distortion Ds-1
MXR Carbon Copy
Basic chords is always a good start and easy songs like knockin on heavens door and polly. Focus on teaching good techniques like posture, how to hold a pick, how to hold the guitar.
These can progress as you go on into strum patterns, power and barre chords, pentatonic shapes. Find a method that works for you but a basic foundation is better than none.
Guitars:
Ibanez RGR321EX
Schecter Omen 7 (with Dimarzio D-Sonic in bridge and Air Norton in neck)
Effects:
Tokai TFL-1 Flanger
Boss RGE-10 Graphic EQ
Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Amp:
Laney IronHeart IRT60 212
Quote by Drmmrboi180
I am ready to teach I just don't know where to begin because I didn't start right.

If you've only been playing for a year and don't know how to teach, then you shouldn't be teaching. No, you aren't ready. Do your potential students a favor and tell them to get a proper teacher.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
If you've only been playing for a year and don't know how to teach, then you shouldn't be teaching. No, you aren't ready. Do your potential students a favor and tell them to get a proper teacher.

Yep. How would you feel if you got behind the wheel and your driving instructor informed you they'd just started driving a year ago?

Terrified, that's how.
Ts, if you don't have a solid understanding of the basics and are unable to communicate to beginners how to even play the damn thing, you shouldn't be teaching. Playing for a year might have not given you enough time to understand them. I suggest flippin your guitar around, fool around, and notate what a beginner has to go through to learn and begin thinking on how to teach it (to communicate how to do this, or that).

Or get a teacher to teach you how to teach effectively.
If you play guitar, please don't waste your time in The Pit, and please instead educate yourself in the Musician Talk forum, where you can be missing out on valuable info.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
It's like you read my mind!

I got meself a self-approving sig. Kick. Ass.
Last edited by SilverDark at Mar 25, 2009,