Page 1 of 3
recently in my city a freshman girl who went to a different school then mine died from injuries in a car crash. So, as result, her parents and family have gone around schools [including mine, they came today.] with fliers, t shirts, etc asking people to sign a big list, saying that youll pledge to wear a seat belt when ever youre in a car. and if you sign the list, they give you a pencil! whoopee!

personally i thought the list was a waste of time, simply because their strategy is ineffective, and just obscure. going around schools asking kids in highschool to make a promise to strangers to wear a seat belt? its obvious no one on that list is actually going to follow through, because 70% of all teenagers dont anyway. maybe they should try having a fund raiser of some sort.

what are your thoughts? do you think there method is at all affective?

EDIT: one other thing, they dont even really focus on the main problem. they dont take into account someone was speeding, or somebody didnt stop at a red light, or even if there was alcohol involved. unless the crash was purely accidental, then really her not wearing the seat belt isnt to blame.

EDIT2: NEW STATISTIC: 98% of the time i wear a seat belt! stop trying console me about it thank you
Quote by HeretiK538
Totally awesome, I love you.

Have my children.

Last edited by koalabacon at Mar 25, 2009,
If you only wear your seatbelt because a t-shirt told you to, then I don't think you should wear it.
They should just go around to different schools with a big, blown up picture of their daughter's mangled corpse and tell people, "this shit happens when ya don't be wearing your sa-sa-sa-sa-seatbelt."
I say, "Drive/Ride without a seatbelt at your own risk." I'm not going to try to get others to wear theirs. Not my problem.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
98%
That's bull****.
You-made-that-up.
Quote by ShaunDiel
Listen to this man. His 2 ideas in five minutes have shat all over your serious ideas.
Putting my belt on is just second-nature for me and it should be to everyone. My parents reinforced it into me, even though my Dad usualy dosnt put his belt on until he hits his first set of lights of busy t-junction.
When i drive or in someone elses car, putting my belt is the first thing I do before anything.
Quote by koalabacon
its obvious no one on that list is actually going to follow through, because 98% of all teenagers dont anyway.

That's funny, recently I heard that 98% of people pull BS statistics out of their arse.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Who the hell doesn't wear a seat belt? Do you think that's cool? If you don't wear one for yourself wear one for your god damn family.
||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
This may come off as a tad insensitive, but fuck it. I'm tired of families thinking they have to go on personal crusades whenever they have a kid die due to something like drunk driving, gang violence, or not wearing a seat belt. Just because they're dead does not mean you have been bestowed the power to change the minds of teens about their choices and behavior, and you have to be one naive SOB to believe that. The majority of the kids that attend your little tear-filled pep talk are going to go right back to their lives and forget the whole thing ever happened the moment they go back to class.

Long story short, if someone dies, mourn personally and don't put that burden on everyone else you come in contact with. I don't want to hear about your family tragedies and how we can "learn from them" when I may have my own family shit to deal with.
Ohio law states that the driver and the person in the front seat must wear their seatbelts, and that the people in the back must wear their seatbelts if the driver is under 18. It's pretty ridiculous, in my opinion. I understand making laws to prevent people from doing things that may damage others, but if a person doesn't wear a seatbelt, he is only endangering his own life.
Quote by filthandfury
If you only wear your seatbelt because a t-shirt told you to, then I don't think you should wear it.

If you're easily swayed enough by a free pencil, then you shouldn't be allowed in a car in the first place.

Quote by Spamwise
Ohio law states that the driver and the person in the front seat must wear their seatbelts, and that the people in the back must wear their seatbelts if the driver is under 18. It's pretty ridiculous, in my opinion. I understand making laws to prevent people from doing things that may damage others, but if a person doesn't wear a seatbelt, he is only endangering his own life.

They are also endangering the lives of everyone else in the car. If the guy's in the back seat and they get into a crash, they're going to slam into the seat in front of them/the person next to them.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Mar 25, 2009,
will it be effective? probably not. it might get a few more people to wear seat belts, but it isn't going to bring about some huge change.

i always wear mine anyway, and pretty much all of my friends do as well. i don't see why people have a problem with wearing it. i don't even notice it most of the time.
In the UK you have to wear a seatbelt.
I automatically put a seatbelt on, it's just one of the first things you do when you get in a car. And I don't have a problem with telling others to wear their seatbelt whether they're in my car or not.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by iceman95
98%
That's bull****.
You-made-that-up.

naw sh*t? it couldnt be an exaggeration used for the purpose of metaphorical speech?

but seriously thats true where i live. no one buckles up.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by Moggan13
Putting my belt on is just second-nature for me and it should be to everyone. My parents reinforced it into me.

Also, this.

It's just dumb not to do it.
I mean, honestly, people go headfirst through the windsheild and shit.
Quote by ShaunDiel
Listen to this man. His 2 ideas in five minutes have shat all over your serious ideas.
Quote by daytripper75
will it be effective? probably not. it might get a few more people to wear seat belts, but it isn't going to bring about some huge change.

i always wear mine anyway, and pretty much all of my friends do as well. i don't see why people have a problem with wearing it. i don't even notice it most of the time.

Same here. It's actually more uncomfortable to me when I'm not wearing one, as I slide all over the seat.
Quote by RU Experienced?
In Maryland it's against the law to be in a moving vehicle without a seat belt on.

In the UK, if a cop see's you without your belt on then you can get fined or even lose 3 points on your licence.
Quote by Spamwise

Well, if they're in the backseat they might endanger the people in the frontseat.

I don't see why you should not wear a seatbelt, it's not "cool" excactly...
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Wow apparently its different in the States, but in Canada if anyone isn't wearing a seat belt you get a ticket, and get treated like you're a fucking retard as well.
||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by Moggan13
In the UK, if a cop see's you without your belt on then you can get fined or even lose 3 points on your licence.

I don't think they'll put points on your license for it here, but they do hand out pretty big fines if you're caught.
Quote by Jimmyyoung
Wow apparently its different in the States, but in Canada if anyone isn't wearing a seat belt you get a ticket, and get treated like you're a fucking retard as well.

Isn't that how you do everything in canada!

Oh no he didn't!!!

We'll be right back "oh no he did't" right after these commercials.
████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
killing people in car accidents who don't wear seatbelts is god's way of punishing the stupid

seriously, they are there for a reason, no?
Last.Fm

“If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.”
― Terry Pratchett

qft...

Jeremy Clarkson is a knob.
Quote by Spamwise
Same here. It's actually more uncomfortable to me when I'm not wearing one, as I slide all over the seat.

yeah i feel odd if i don't wear it. like occasionally i might be in a hurry because i'm running late for something and i don't put it on at first. i'll end up driving for a bit and suddenly i realize that something feels strange, and then i realize i don't have my seat belt on.
The seat belt law is enforced a lot here in Texas, and I'm glad it is.
"The rule of law -- it must be held high! And if it falls you pick it up and hold it even higher!" - Hercule Poirot

© Soul Power
Quote by RU Experienced?
I don't think they'll put points on your license for it here, but they do hand out pretty big fines if you're caught.

in Massachusetts they have some pretty big fines too. no one really gives a **** though unfortunately, and when you pair that up with the number of asshole drivers we have, its a bad mix.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

We need a poll of who wears seatbelts, I do, and everyone I know does

You'd be stupid not to
I always wear a seatbelt along with the majority of the teenagers I know

'98%' even if it is a metaphor, is a bullshit metaphor..
"You're a twat!"- That dude in morrisons

"You Ugly git!" - That girl in the restaurant

"You Were a Mistake!" - Mum

just a few of my fans..

Quote by will123456789
I always wear a seatbelt along with the majority of the teenagers I know

'98%' even if it is a metaphor, is a bullshit metaphor..

there. i made more 'accurate' for you people.

now quit yer b*tching.
Quote by HeretiK538

Have my children.

Quote by thankyougermany
I say, "Drive/Ride without a seatbelt at your own risk." I'm not going to try to get others to wear theirs. Not my problem.

This. why should i care if some idiot dosn't wanna wear a seatbelt and therefore gets killed when they're in a car crash? Seriously, it's their own fault.
I always wear a seat belt even in the back seat, sometimes it's more comfortable
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
Quote by koalabacon
EDIT: one other thing, they dont even really focus on the main problem. they dont take into account someone was speeding, or somebody didnt stop at a red light, or even if there was alcohol involved. unless the crash was purely accidental, then really her not wearing the seat belt isnt to blame.

this is just stupid. accidents happen and if you don't wear a seatbelt it's quite obvious what/who's to blame..

i mean seriously, is there a reason for not wearing seatbelts?

EDIT: on a second thought, this is probably quite good for natural selection..
Last edited by Kamikaze21 at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by koalabacon
there. i made more 'accurate' for you people.

now quit yer b*tching.

Pft, why don't you find some REAL stats to back up your bullshit?
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
Page 1 of 3