I'm taking a look at this because it seems like it will give me a lot of choices in voicing. The problem is though is that if i want to use this live, i'll need to bring the laptop with me (right?).

i was wondering what the cheapest laptop is that could use this (i want it to be dedicated to the program)? Size isn't a problem.

Like would this work?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9088756&type=product&id=1218018676653
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
For Guitar Rig 3 you're gonna wanna get a laptop with a better CPU. Get at least a Core Duo
^If you have the Rig Kontrol or whatever yeah you can. You just gotta have a solid laptop cuz I imagine your computer locking up during a performance would suck immensely.
You'll also need a descent I/O interface... and using a computer for this type of application live is not a a really good idea (IMO).

You are much better off with a mult-fx.

You'd probably be a be able to get really nice conventional setup for the money you are going to end up spending.
ok, thanx everyone
John Frusciante
Slash
Jeff Beck
Matt Bellamy
Jack White

HT-5 Owners Thread

Owner of an 1/4 watt custom combo.

Quote by Garou1911
^This man speaks the language of win.

Donate to my cause
Yeah you can use this live, one of the touring guitarists or keybordists (not sure) for Air, uses it live on stage.

You WILL need a reliable laptop though, and try to minimize installing stupid stuff on it so as not to increase the odds of it crashing at random times. If you buy the rig control thing (basically like a pedalboard for the software) I think it already has the interface built in and you plug it in through USB.

I would recommend at least a core duo though with maybe 2GB ram. The better your PC the lower latency you can get out of the system without any artifacts.

I actually have the program (minus the pedalboard) so if you have any questions about it feel fre to ask!
Ok man heres the deal, I work at Best Buy in the computer section so I would recomend to you a dell that is 499 in price or you can spend the extra bucks and get a 4 gig(64 bit vista) and a core 2 duo processor for $649. You might get some latency issues running it without an I/O box so I would recomend buying one. Now you are talking some big bucks here so why not just get a used tube stack and build your pedalboard up?
Quote by mesaschecter09
Ok man heres the deal, I work at Best Buy in the computer section so I would recomend to you a dell that is 499 in price or you can spend the extra bucks and get a 4 gig(64 bit vista) and a core 2 duo processor for $649. You might get some latency issues running it without an I/O box so I would recomend buying one. Now you are talking some big bucks here so why not just get a used tube stack and build your pedalboard up?

I'd really try to avoid vista. otherwise, i agree. As an owner of GR3, my recommendation is: use a real amp. GR3 is good for studio recording where sometimes your amp lacks some versatility and you really want a certain tone. But it really doesnt feel the same. It doesnt respond to your playing as a good amp should, even if you can get it to sound the same. (thats my main problem with it)
Quote by rnelson
I'd really try to avoid vista. otherwise, i agree. As an owner of GR3, my recommendation is: use a real amp. GR3 is good for studio recording where sometimes your amp lacks some versatility and you really want a certain tone. But it really doesnt feel the same. It doesnt respond to your playing as a good amp should, even if you can get it to sound the same. (thats my main problem with it)

Vista 64 bit is much more efficient though!
man gr3 is only for studio..
plus you're gonna get hell of latency issues..
i know it has hell loads of effects (since i own it too) but using it live would be not a good idea..
rather get a multi effects for the laptop money
go with overloud th-1....
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
in guitar rig 3 live, I assume you would need the Guitar Rig Pedal borad, Amazing Sound card, Laptop only-for Guitar rig and the light browsing use, 2 gigs of ram or over, Fast hard drive soeed, Amazing battery and last but not least a bullet proof laptop. thats a little intense but i would be pissed if i ever screwed up live
Fender Telecaster
Squire Vintage Modified '70s bass
THe only digital piece of equipment worth replacing an amp live with...is the Axe-FX Ultra.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
go with overloud th-1....

I just bought it a few days ago - amazing sounding!! Well worth the price in my opinion and I'm usually too poor to buy anything. I'm in Love with it.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
You'd need a laptop and an interface. And then you'd either run into the PA or buy a power amp and cab, and there is still the chance it'll get messed up eventually and crap out on you. Honestly you'd be better off buying an amp for the money you'd be spending.
OP - You have a decent setup right now. Work with that. What's up with that BlackStar?