My brothers college work has just automaticaly changed into some sort of code like ? And squares etc...
the document you're trying to open is .docx

you need word 2007, or openoffice to open it because no earlier versions of word support .docx
Are you using the right program to open the correct type of file?

It will do that if you attempt to open a Works file with Word and vice versa. Also, if it's a different version of the program (Microsoft Word 2002 compared to Microsoft Word 2005) it might have trouble, too.... though usually the newer program opens the older document.

Edit: Basically, what he said ^^
Quote by JMack
Are you asking if midgets can draw people that are themselves smaller than the average person, or if midget drawings in general are smaller?
Last edited by faint_spirit at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by Thornography
the document you're trying to open is .docx

you need word 2007, or openoffice to open it because no earlier versions of word support .docx

This is the problem, but I think it's Word 2008 that started the docx thing. You're going to need to save the original file in an older format so it's backwards compatible.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Thanks for all the help guys

He wrote the essay on the same version as it's in code now.
I'm not sure, but what I always have to do in Power Point is save the file as a ppt 97-03 compatible file, which will open in any Power Point after 97, though you lose some of the fancy features.
Sooo, I would assume Word has a similer feature.

Try saving it in different formats, if possible.