I have a big, 13 or 15 inch speaker from a hifi, it sounded fantastic when it was in use, but it has been replaced.

I need a small bass amp for band practice, and I think this would be wonderful for it, but at the moment the speaker only has two wires coming from it, which I presume are the input wires.

I guess I could just buy a crappy amp, and hook up the speaker to it's "Head"
But is there a cheaper solution?

(Note this speaker is too big to be battery powered, and would need mains, which is why i'm weary of anything too dodgy)
Quote by Ikonoklast
Tie her up and drive her into some woods, pour petrol over her and then ask her if she wants you back.

Anyone in Birmingham, England meet up for a Jam?

Quote by uk.mace
My hand gave me a handjob

Won't give me a f*cking blowjob though
Battery powered? Mains powered?

Are there any technical specifications on the back of the speaker?
Quote by MrToucan
I have a big, 13 or 15 inch speaker from a hifi, it sounded fantastic when it was in use, but it has been replaced.

I need a small bass amp for band practice, and I think this would be wonderful for it, but at the moment the speaker only has two wires coming from it, which I presume are the input wires.

I guess I could just buy a crappy amp, and hook up the speaker to it's "Head"
But is there a cheaper solution?

(Note this speaker is too big to be battery powered, and would need mains, which is why i'm weary of anything too dodgy)

Try and get information on the speaker, how many ohms it is and its RMS. These should be on the back. Even better if you can get a company name and model number, then you can check it's frequency range.

Cheapest option? Buy a 250 Watt + head on eBay. I got my Hartke 250 watt for £60.

Is the speaker in an inclosure? If not, you'll want to create one/buy one as it won't sound very nice.

You won't get a fantastic, Ampeg comparing tone from it but it will work. I used a 40 watt sub and two 6" speakers for awhile to practice on while at home and it wasnt TOO bad.
Hi-Fi speakers (and systems ftm) tend to sound bad with a guitar or bass. A guitar speaker is designed to accentuate the good-sounding freqs of a guitar, and a hi-fi speaker accentuates as wide a range as possible.

You might be able to get away with it on a bass, but guitars usually sound crappy into a hi-fi.