I'v been playing my MIM Classic 70's strat (Ash body, maple neck) for a couple of years now, mostly playing funk which its been great for because of its good clean tone..

but im more moving towards blues now and, when me and some mates were jamming my mate plugged his gibson (les paul) into my AC30 and it sounded so much better than the strat with a bit of overdrive!

was just wondering if theres anything i can do with the strat to make its sound darker and more bluesy?
or should i sell up and go for a les paul? probably have to be a studio cos of money issues.

OR whatever, any other good makes out there that have solid guitars for the £500 to £900 price range?
You could get that humbucker sound with a pup change, stacked single. But nothing sounds like a Les Paul. I also love the strat sound, you really want both.lol
Change the pickups outta your strat, IMO. I'm not a Les Paul fan.... I'd take my Ameristrat over a Paul any day.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Don't.. Its not really worth it..
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Fr
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Seymour Duncans
Avalon Gold series acoustic
ESP LTD 7-string

Amp:
Marshall 100DFX
Peavey Valveking 212

Effects:
Boss GT-10
well, I am bias to a Les Paul but play a LP for a couple days if you can and see if you like the feel. It is much different than a Strat. If you don't like it better, think about a humbucker in your strat
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Replace the neck pickups with something more ballsy. Something like a rails or a JB single coil-sized humbucker.
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
Turn your tone knobs down. EQ the amp. Get a boost or overdrive pedal. It won't sound like a les paul but it'll sound fatter and darker.
my strats got seymour duncan antiquitys in, could get a HSS strat, the deluxe or highway one probably...any thoughts on them?
it's cause you have a vox.
if you want a good blues tone you should probably be daisy chaining an MG and a Fender FM. Also if you have a fender strat, you should probably throw it away and buy yourself a Squier, now those are top of the line stratocasters.

Serious Edit:
Quote by big fat donkey
my strats got seymour duncan antiquitys in, could get a HSS strat, the deluxe or highway one probably...any thoughts on them?

don't get a highway one, waste of money IMO.
you're paying for a guitar made in mexico, but assembled in the USA...not really worth the price difference, is it?
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Mar 25, 2009,
Go play some Studios and see. I personally prefer strats, but I wouldn't be offended if you switched to a LP. If you like teh way your strat feels though, slap some rails or humbuckers in it. I do love the way LP's sound, but I hate playing them,.

it's cause you have a vox.
if you want a good blues tone you should probably be daisy chaining an MG and a Fender FM. Also if you have a fender strat, you should probably throw it away and buy yourself a Squier, now those are top of the line stratocasters.

You's trollin'!
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Mar 25, 2009,
Check out prs mira's, about the most balanced guitar buy around the studio's range, but so much better, solid body (unlike fake-ass chambered lp) killer pickups and the prs factor, which is quality over, the only issue might be the look of the guitar, 50-50 between les paul doublecut and an sg, I like it but not everyone does.

Other brands may have the sound you want, but you'd have to venture out of the american-made territory (which right now is not that nice with gibson involved in). Like schecter, cort, yamaha etc. go out and try a few.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
yer iv tried miras and love how they play and sound...but really couldnt be seen gigging with one, i just hate their look.
Keep the strat bro.
Setup..:
Fender Roadhouse Strat
Fender Hotrod Deluxe amp
BOSS DS-2
Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by big fat donkey
yer iv tried miras and love how they play and sound...but really couldnt be seen gigging with one, i just hate their look.

Even the maple topped ones?