Page 1 of 2
Have you realized how blown out of proportion dead players are....... LIke Dimebag not that good...... Jimi Hendrix....... good but not the best....... Kurt Cobain..... Terrible (but i still like him)....... well yeah
GLEN JENSEN. That is all.....

Proud owner of an Ibanez Wh10V2
don't go dissing Jemi, he plays amazingly, shows that you don't have to be a shredder to be good at guitar.
jimi not great?

i want to sig that so bad.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
With the exception of Dime, I disagree. While Jimi and Kurt weren't the best, it's more about what they started than anything else. Most people who were around for them both say that, especially with Hendrix) that there was no real way to relate how big of a thing they were at the time because there was nothing else like them (Kurt may be an exaggeration here but he did contribute to the spread of a lot of grunge).
Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe/Ibanez RGA42/LTD EC401vf
Into:
Whammy IV>Pitchblack>Dunlop 536Q>Fulltone Fulldrive 2>Hardwire TL-2>MXR 10 Band>Line 6 M13
Into:
80s Carvin x100b w/ cab
Cliff Burton FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
Quote by conor1148
jimi not great?

Sig it... he'll get raped by the pit.

Jimi was awesome, some of the best songs I can think of were written by him, not to mention how incredible he sounded live. He had an awesome talent.
Quote by omgah1one
Jimi is awesome.

For his time, he was awesome. Also remember that he was playing to a group of people that were out of their minds on acid and pot most of the time. Now sure he had an influence on a lot of people, but you sit him down in front of a music teacher and he'd probably just look brain-dead.

Quote by pengiunman
Cliff Burton FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!

I officially want to have your babies now

Cliff was awesome. If he were still alive and in MetallicA today, we might've avoided St. Anger and the mid-nineties altogether
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by pyjamallama
Sig it... he'll get raped by the pit.

Jimi was awesome, some of the best songs I can think of were written by him, not to mention how incredible he sounded live. He had an awesome talent.

i sigged it
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
DIMEBAG IS AMAZING! Watch live **** when he starts soloing. I only find that popular guitarists skillz are blown up as apposed to guitarists who are just as good or better but less known. Sentenced's guitarist died recently...seems no one cares
Quote by thestonedone
You see this is why it's wrong to rape your guitar... in public.

Quote by mroctoberfest
I want to name an invention the Insta-gasm 3000. I feel very strongly about this.

Gear Setup:
Jackson Rhoads
Digitech Grunge
Fender FM 212R
It's because their art had a social connection relevant to the time, that you can't understand. And you have to understand that the music they were providing was, practically, completely new and "mind blowing" to the people who got to hear it.
Today it doesn't sound like anything special, but that's because of the hundreds of bandwagon bands, and thousands of bands just following the path that innovators like them (aside from Dime) carved.
People who understate their importance are not seeing the full picture.

EDIT: just noticed the irony of a frusciante fanboy hating on hendrix.
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Mar 25, 2009,
Most people who now claim to be Dimebag's #1 fan in the world and buy every bit of gear with his name slapped on didn't even know who the hell he was while he was still alive, so there you go.

If people are around when someone is suddenly killed, that bumps that person's stock way up. Pete Wentz is a **** bass player but if he was knifed in the back tonight, by the end of the week the sales of his signature Squier bass would have skyrocketed.

There's also the issue of being who die obviously not being able to screw their legacy over or fade to obscurity. If Hendrix had lived on, released a couple of sub-par albums then sat in his home counting his money all day, he wouldn't be anywhere near as popular as he is - but because he died at the height of popularity, it means he's stuck at that level of popularity for ever.

If Noel Gallagher died in the mid-90's, people would be regarding him as a musical genius. But because he's still around and Oasis have no released a lot of frankly ****e albums, coupled with being obnoxious dicks in the press, means his guitar playing is almost completely forgotten about (how many people even remember he had a couple of signature Epi and Gibson models just a few years ago?).

It's not just music. It's the same in film, art, literature - once someone's snuffed it, their sales go through the roof. Especially if they die suddenly while still at the height of their popularity, they become instantly regarded as one of the best ever, almost completely regardless of how good they actually were.

For the record, I do think Hendrix is/was one of the best musicians ever, I completely respect Kurt Cobain's song writing (though I think we can all agree as a guitarist he was average at best), and Dimebag... actually no, I still think his playing was utter ****. But you can't please everyone.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
with Jimi its not about technical ability, its about soul, passion, intensity, creativity, heart, mind, love, peace, etc. all of what to many of todays guitarists are missing. its about what Jimi done for the guitar and for music in general, he's an inspiration.

and remember that the guitar world would probably be a lot different today if he was never born.
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']For his time, he was awesome. Also remember that he was playing to a group of people that were out of their minds on acid and pot most of the time. Now sure he had an influence on a lot of people, but you sit him down in front of a music teacher and he'd probably just look brain-dead.
Jimi was amazing for any era. No one can play like him and no one has ever been able too. Note: Live Hendrix is 10x better (guitar wise) than studio Hendrix because you need to remember he's the only guitarist and manages to sing as he's playing complex fills and rhythm lines.

Kurt was a mediocre guitarist and a mediocre songwriter. His success was purely based on luck (my opinion).

People tend to remember musicians when they die at the height of their career. That way, they don't have a chance to forget about them.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
When i was banned, I would see at least five people a day getting banned for saying "RIP Dime." Then again, it was in the Pit, so I guess it's somewhat relevant here in EG.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']sit him down in front of a music teacher and he'd probably just look brain-dead.So? He wasn't a musician, he was a guitarist, and a damn good one at that. Plus he learned by studying other players and by experimenting, not by studying music.

Plus sit any dead person in front of anybody and they'll look braindead
R.I.P. Lester William Polsfuss June 9, 1915–August 13, 2009
Quote by Moggan13
I'm dissapointed by the lack of penis.

If anyone sigs that, i'll fucking kill them.
Quote by Kensai
I'm a good person and I never meet any pretty girls who loves jesus
I think people must take into accordance that All of those listed guitarists were great for what they started and the technique's and style that they used that have influenced so many players of today. They might not be viewed as the best in comparison to other guitarists now, but none of them were bad players. If it weren't for guitarists like those, guitar players wouldn't be doing what they're doing today, they had a great impact on modern day guitaring (yes, even Kurt Cobain).
Quote by conor1148
i sigged it

Good move!

I suppose at the end of the day its each to his own, and if he thinks jimi wasnt that great I spose he's entitled to his opinion.... BUT you talk to anyone in their forties, and even if they were off their heads or not, they still think he was one of the best things to come out of America (although great things coming out of America is pretty rare )
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]Cliff was awesome. If he were still alive and in MetallicA today, we might've avoided St. Anger and the mid-nineties altogether
I dunno why people hate on The Black Album, and the song St. Anger is good, it's not that bad.
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
Quote by -NOFX-
So? He wasn't a musician, he was a guitarist, and a damn good one at that. Plus he learned by studying other players and by experimenting, not by studying music.

Plus sit any dead person in front of anybody and they'll look braindead

Yeah, I thought about what I said afterwards and came up with the same fact in my head. You got me there

Quote by a7xplayer
k, you went to far. dime, is absolutely incredible. if you watch him live, his style is just so unique. and jimi, not the best technically but great sounds coming from him haha. and kurt, same as jimi

This coming from a kid with Rick Astley for his avatar
Quote by pengiunman
I dunno why people hate on The Black Album, and the song St. Anger is good, it's not that bad.

1990 does not qualify as "MID"-nineties. Black Albums was decent. St. Anger as an album sucked balls. the song was okay. it just got old.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Cliff was awesome. If he were still alive and in MetallicA today, we might've avoided St. Anger and the mid-nineties altogether
No we wouldn't. Well, maybe St. Anger, but James said Cliff liked to experiment, so the albums would've happened either way.
and remember Jimi was never afraid to experiment when he was on stage, always trying new things, sometimes without letting the rest of the band know!
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Alex Vik
No we wouldn't. Well, maybe St. Anger, but James said Cliff liked to experiment, so the albums would've happened either way.

good point. damn invisible black ice >.<
Dime could hand Frusciante his ass any day. John Hendrix, sorry, I mean Frusciante is just a Hendrix wannabe that plays for a washed up band called RHCP. Frusciante is nothing over a good player... average if anything. Frusciante's style is just a half ass carbon copy of Hendrix. Hendrix is a great player, Dime is a great player, and Kurt is a great songwriter. I couldn't care if you don't like what I'm saying because I couldn't care less.
Quote by snipelfritz
Jimi was amazing for any era. No one can play like him and no one has ever been able too. Note: Live Hendrix is 10x better (guitar wise) than studio Hendrix because you need to remember he's the only guitarist and manages to sing as he's playing complex fills and rhythm lines.

Kurt was a mediocre guitarist and a mediocre songwriter. His success was purely based on luck (my opinion).

People tend to remember musicians when they die at the height of their career. That way, they don't have a chance to forget about them.

i think that john mayer is the same way. to me, at least, i think mayer is more technically talented, while the music seems to have tons of feeling. i think that mayer is a better guitarist, because he is more refined than hendrix.
true, hendrix was revolutionary and introduced a new style, but that doesn't mean his work was and always will be the best of that style; somebody new always comes along and improves on the style, which i think mayer has done.
Warmoth Strat w/ Lace Holy Grails
'07 Roadhouse Strat
Washburn WD-21 all Koa Acoustic
Marshall JCM-2000 TSL-122
Bugera V-5
Quote by Frusciante2323
Dimebag hand it to Froosh............. honestly

don't double post.

Quote by The Arsis
Dime could hand Frusciante his ass any day. John Hendrix, sorry, I mean Frusciante is just a Hendrix wannabe that plays for a washed up band called RHCP. Frusciante is nothing over a good player... average if anything. Frusciante's style is just a half ass carbon copy of Hendrix. Hendrix is a great player, Dime is a great player, and Kurt is a great songwriter. I couldn't care if you don't like what I'm saying because I couldn't care less.

LOL! good one.
Quote by conor1148
jimi not great?

Why would you sig that? He said good but not the best, so basically by sigging it you're claiming that he is undeniably the best guitar player in the world, and by stating that he is not the best, he is an idiot. That makes sense...

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Quote by The Arsis
Shredafornication his ass.

he didnt play guitar for 7 years before he made that album...... Walk is a pretty hard song too.

Quote by Mike1109
Why would you sig that? He said good but not the best, so basically by sigging it you're claiming that he is undeniably the best guitar player in the world, and by stating that he is not the best, he is an idiot. That makes sense...

yeah it was pretty dumb to find the quote "jimi...good but not the best..." to be somehow sacrilegious.
Quote by Mike1109

It's simply so the Pit can have a new asshole to rip to shreds.
i still love jimis music and think hes good but hes so blown up

Quote by Frusciante2323
he didnt play guitar for 7 years before he made that album...... Walk is a pretty hard song too.

lol because he didn't play guitar on the two solo albums he released while on hiatus with the chilis?
Quote by Frusciante2323

Thats not an RHCP's album.

Quote by Frusciante2323
i still love jimis music and think hes good but hes so blown up

I just think you're one of the many idiots that like bandwagons on UG.
Last edited by The Arsis at Mar 25, 2009,
are you making fun of californication and saying its dumb....

Page 1 of 2