Ok so Ive been meaning to buy a distortion pedal for some time now . I want a pedal that can give a good distortion sound ( obviously ) and I mainly want one so I can switch between distorion and clean so yeah.

I've narrowed it down to these three:

#1) Boss ML-2 Metal Core Distortion Pedal
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-ML2-Metal-Core-Distortion-Pedal?sku=150216

#2)Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer Effects Pedal
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-TS9-Tube-Screamer-Effects-Pedal-Original-Reissue?sku=150284

AND #3)Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal ( yeah its pretty cheap )
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-DS1-Distortion-Pedal?sku=151258

My budget is about $100 so please give me ur opinion on these if u can .

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: This is going to be my first pedal ever so keep that in mind.
Last edited by JavierFabre at Mar 25, 2009,
Amp Please ????
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
AMP??? Genres???

The Ts9 and DS1 are only gonna sound good through a good tube amp.

And Boss pedals are sh*t in my opinion.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Amp Please ????

I just started playing like 3 months ago so I have a 10w Fender amp ( yes it sucks and its very little ) 0.o
Quote by CullenT
AMP??? Genres???

The Ts9 and DS1 are only gonna sound good through a good tube amp.

And Boss pedals are sh*t in my opinion.

Im mostly gonna be playing song from metallica , trivium , bullet for my valentine etc.
Quote by JavierFabre
I just started playing like 3 months ago so I have a 10w Fender amp ( yes it sucks and its very little ) 0.o

Replace the amp. I already know it's a Fender Frontman. Maybe a Pavey Vypyr because that way you won't really need a distortion pedal. It has all the distortion you need.

However, if your stuck on getting a pedal,

The BOSS Metal Core pedal is really bad. I tried it and it's not worth the money.

The Tube Screamer I can't give an opinion on, but isn't tube screamers supposed to be ran through tube amps?

The Boss DS-1 really isn't for metal, but with enough tweaking it is possible to get a decent Metallica even Megadeth sound. It will not do metal core at all.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
Replace the amp. I already know it's a Fender Frontman. Maybe a Pavey Vypyr because that way you won't really need a distortion pedal. It has all the distortion you need.

but how do I switch between distortion and clean without a pedal?
Quote by JavierFabre

You could always get the foot switch that works with the Vypyr. Read my edit as well. I'm pretty sure that allows you to switch between the two.
^its not really necessary on a practice amp to have footswitchability, i suggest you just keep on saving, distortion pedals wont even sound good with that amp
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by JavierFabre

A footswitch

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Sanpera-I-Guitar-Footswitch?sku=152022

A vypyr 30 watt and a sanpera footswitch is 300 USD, and is better than pretty much any other solid state modeling combo you'll get in that range.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
^yup.
feel free to add me
also, you won't find any tube amp above 5w for 300, don't try.

Sell the frontman, save up, get a vypyr and a footswitch. Best advice i can give.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
Or if you're just a beginner and have a budget, just buy a heavy distortion pedal that you can play with for a year or two until you develop better skills, an ear for tone, and a bigger wallet. It's not that big a deal. Look for a used Boss Metal Zone, you can probably find one for like $40-50. That'll hold you over for a while.

Don't flame me, this is good advice. I hate the MT2, I hate the Frontman amp, but I also hate people suggesting he get new gear after he obviously just bought this stuff. I think vypyrs sound like crap, and I see no reason why he should upgrade to one at this point in his guitar playing career. Burn the bandwagon!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
Or if you're just a beginner and have a budget, just buy a heavy distortion pedal that you can play with for a year or two until you develop better skills, an ear for tone, and a bigger wallet. It's not that big a deal. Look for a used Boss Metal Zone, you can probably find one for like $40-50. That'll hold you over for a while.

Don't flame me, this is good advice. I hate the MT2, I hate the Frontman amp, but I also hate people suggesting he get new gear after he obviously just bought this stuff. I think vypyrs sound like crap, and I see no reason why he should upgrade to one at this point in his guitar playing career. Burn the bandwagon!

though your "focus on your playing" point is valid, your "buy more crap gear" one is not. i'd say if you can't trade your little fender amp for a peavey vypyr, just stick with what youve got.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
^sell the front mann
buy a vypyr 30
and dont be a pussy if you dont have a footswitch. just save up for it and then buy it.
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^sell the front mann
buy a vypyr 30
and dont be a pussy if you dont have a footswitch. just save up for it and then buy it.

Good to have you back, man.

And yeah, listen the WTF!! on ths one rare occasion You won't get many opportunities to hear his words fo wisdom before he gets banned again.
^ me dont wanna be banned again......... FOTB is scarrrryyy.....
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^sell the front mann
buy a vypyr 30

Il'l do that.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^sell the front mann
buy a vypyr 30

And who the heck are u anyways?
U seem to be famous.
Quote by JavierFabre
U seem to be famous.

He is Pedo Bear incarnate. The holy of wholey assholes

just some dude we all know.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

yeah, its like, the mods on there are always making jokes but none of the users are in a good enough mood... its strange

Quote by JavierFabre
U seem to be famous.

hes just a regular on this board and i guess we all know him for his br00t4lz amp suggestions and such. dont forget his pedobaer lazar avatar either
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Last edited by nutinpwnsgibson at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

dude, how many times have you been banned?
Fender 72' Deluxe Tele
Schecter Damian Elite 7
Fender '62 Reissue Jazz Bass (MIJ)
Peavey XXX 212 (back on the East Coast)

Macbook Pro 15" Retina
Logic Pro X 10.0.7
Revalver 4
LePou Amp Sims
Ignite Amp Sims
LeCab2
RedWirez Impulses
^ my 1st ban was a mistake cuz my second warning was 4 months behind my first warning so jof let me go. i styed there for only 17 hours.
my REAL first ban was because of a stupis comment of mine.
feel free to add me