Recently i've been recording some electronic/hip hop tracks. The mic i'm using is nice but there is still some level of popping (i do use a pop filter) and unwanted noise, both from me and feedback. What are some plugins (preferably free) that will make my vocals sound more professional (IE will make my voice sound better, i don't care if it sounds artificial this is just for fun). I already have autotune but i'm not using it for these tracks.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Compression? EQ? Reverb? Multi-band compressors occasionally work really well, but occasionally are terrible.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
Quote by shredmeiser101
Recently i've been recording some electronic/hip hop tracks. The mic i'm using is nice but there is still some level of popping (i do use a pop filter) and unwanted noise, both from me and feedback. What are some plugins (preferably free) that will make my vocals sound more professional (IE will make my voice sound better, i don't care if it sounds artificial this is just for fun). I already have autotune but i'm not using it for these tracks.

Cool bro, you make hip hop / electronica also!

If I can ask, are you using MIDI controllers to record your tunes?

If so it might have a large part to do with your Buffer Overrun feature.

I set mine to 5ms and it reduces underruns (pops / clicks / crackling) significantly.

Hope that helps you bro.

It will have a large part to do with your sound card if you're using .VST software.

A free software solution you might want to try is Ambience .Vst

Which is freely available and with proper tweaking can get you epic sound

Good luck bro.

EDIT:

Another solution if you're going for a voice effect is using a VOCODER, which gives you kind of like a cybernetic style voice. I forget the artists who use it, but that sound where their voice fluctuates digitally is VOCODER.

FL Studio has a built in feature for that.
-Tommy S.
Last edited by Tommy S. at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by TheDriller
Tape Saturation

God I love tape saturation plugins. Too much. I might ditch them all. I use them far too much and everything going to buggery.
Epiphone Elitist SG (Serious)
Tokai Silver Star
Epiphone Dot
Epiphone Les Paul
Washburn J28SCEDL
Washburn J12S

G.A.S List

JCM600 (Yes a 600..)
I like a little bit of delay on my vocals.

Beyond that stuff, though, the difference between a recording where the singer sound professional and one where the singer doesn't sound professional is more often than not, the actual singer. If your singer sounds like an amateur or a hack in the room, all the digital magic in the universe won't make him sound like a professional singer. No, not even autotune.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Its worth stating that mics and pre-amps have a huge impact on the quality of vocal recordings.