So our school jazz band is going to a fairly big jazz festival this Saturday, and we have a test piece that we have to learn which we only got about a week ago. Needless to say we're a little behind, anyway, I've been asked to do a solo but am totally in the dark on this one because a lazy pentatonic solo sounds bad.

A little information about the song/solo section.

The song is fast swing, quarter note = 200 and I believe it's in the key of B flat major (g minor). The chords under the solo are as follows... Cmin7, F7(9b), Bbmaj7 x2, Bbmin7, Eb13, Abmaj7 x2, Abmin7, Db7(9b), Gbmaj7, Bmaj7, Cmin7(5b), F7(9b)aug, A, Bb(6/9)/G7(9b)

I know i've written it out very poorly, and I'd tab it/guitar pro it if I could, but being that I have tons of other homework, I just don't have the time. If anyone could recommend a scale(s) or even tab something to get me started i'd be greatly appreciated. If you have anymore questions please ask! thanks for any help
Quote by adamk991100
I'm not in college, but i'd imagine the parties like the ones I just downloaded...

Quote by Weaponized
vagelier and PinkFender_69 are actually pretty dope
Hey, one of those people is me!

Just hang on a second, I'll be back.
Cmin7 F7b9 and Bbmaj7, could just play Bb major over these.

Bbmin7 Eb13 Abmaj7, could play Ab maj over these.

Abmin7, Db7 Gbmaj 7, could go for Gb major scale

And then maybe back to Bb with some chromatics. The frist few parts are all ii-V-I in Bb major, Ab major, and Gbmajor, it is moving ant-clockwise around the circle of fifths but missing out Eb and Db inbetween.

Or you could just solo over chord tones. Just try and look a little deeper into the notes and chords.
Okay, I see the patterns now, I guess I just couldn't pick it out at first glance. Thanks for the help, I think i'll stick to the scales though because i'm struggling to understand chord tones.
Quote by adamk991100
I'm not in college, but i'd imagine the parties like the ones I just downloaded...

Quote by Weaponized

I think theres a bebop scale, but i could be wrong.
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
...what is that? (hides in shame)
Quote by adamk991100

Quote by Weaponized

*gets out guitar grimoire*

yep theres a bebop scale, 4 of them actually.

they are all 8 tone scales, pretty complex for me.

Bebop Locrian (Natural) 2 : 1-2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7-7 (1st Mode)
Bebop Dominant: 1-2-3-4-5-6-b7-7 (1st Mode)
Bebop Dorian: 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7-7 (1st Mode)
Bebop Major: 1-2-3-4-5-b6-6-7 (1st Mode)
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
Hmm, seems interesting, just looks hard. I'll fiddle around a little and maybe i'll get something cool going. Thanks!~
Quote by adamk991100

Quote by Weaponized

No problem!

EDIT: Wow i just realized what a finger workout Bebop Dorian is on the lower frets like on the 3rd frets 6th string (G Bebop Dorian). Its a pretty good warm-up/finger excersice!
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
Last edited by Colton165 at Mar 25, 2009,
well you've got at least 3 ii V I's... so try to get some 7-3 and 9-5 resolutions in there

the first one for example, if you played the arpeggio C E G Bb(the 7th) resolves nicely to A (the third in F7) or D(the 9th) to C (the 5th)
Quote by Volvic
Cmin7 F7b9 and Bbmaj7, could just play Bb major over these.

Bbmin7 Eb13 Abmaj7, could play Ab maj over these.

Abmin7, Db7 Gbmaj 7, could go for Gb major scale

And then maybe back to Bb with some chromatics. The frist few parts are all ii-V-I in Bb major, Ab major, and Gbmajor, it is moving ant-clockwise around the circle of fifths but missing out Eb and Db inbetween.

Or you could just solo over chord tones. Just try and look a little deeper into the notes and chords.
This is the simplest option and probably what I would do.

Seeing as it's fast swing, it's probably your only option. Unless you secretly have al di meola levels of skill...
Quote by Colton165
*gets out guitar grimoire*

yep theres a bebop scale, 4 of them actually.

they are all 8 tone scales, pretty complex for me.

Bebop Locrian (Natural) 2 : 1-2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7-7 (1st Mode)
Bebop Dominant: 1-2-3-4-5-6-b7-7 (1st Mode)
Bebop Dorian: 1-2-b3-4-5-6-b7-7 (1st Mode)
Bebop Major: 1-2-3-4-5-b6-6-7 (1st Mode)
You do realise that most of these are basic scales with chromatic runs. Wouldn't it be easier to learn how to use chromatic runs than to learn 4 new scales, fingerings and formulae?
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.