I've been looking for a cheap 4-track recorder and found this:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM96/Tascam/porta-03.html

found one for about $50

good deal or bad? how's the quality of this 4-track recorder?

edit: has a spliced power cable, but I figure I can get from a radioshack or something

thanks
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Last edited by ilikeguitar90 at Mar 25, 2009,
absolutely horrible, give me the link so i can buy it to save other people the grief.
just kidding, it doesnt look half bad though, and 50 bucks isnt all that much.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
why would you go with a tape recorder when you can get software? I have used both standalone recorders as well as computers (both digital) and they both get good sounding recordings, but computers allow you to edit the production in a way standalones just cannot. on top of that, that 4 track analog recorder will have tape noise, more noise added when bouncing tracks, and no effects to help recordings (vocals need reverb etc....). How are you gonna master a track on that thing too? it'll just sound like mud. How are you supposed to get the recordings onto a computer? basically, just get a thing for the computer to record with and some software. Also, if you must get a standalone, get a multitrack recorder that ISN'T analog.
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by Tatersalad1080
absolutely horrible, give me the link so i can buy it to save other people the grief.
just kidding, it doesnt look half bad though, and 50 bucks isnt all that much.

Thanks for the response. From what I've seen, this is pretty cheap for a 4-track. Do you think if I hold out and be patient that I can possibly get a better deal on something else? Or do you think I should just go for it?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm not too familiar with the quality of 4-tracks by brand or anything haha.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
why would you go with a tape recorder when you can get software? I have used both standalone recorders as well as computers (both digital) and they both get good sounding recordings, but computers allow you to edit the production in a way standalones just cannot. on top of that, that 4 track analog recorder will have tape noise, more noise added when bouncing tracks, and no effects to help recordings (vocals need reverb etc....). How are you gonna master a track on that thing too? it'll just sound like mud. How are you supposed to get the recordings onto a computer? basically, just get a thing for the computer to record with and some software. Also, if you must get a standalone, get a multitrack recorder that ISN'T analog.

every time I record something with computer or anything digital, I can't overdub it because of latency issues. I was using a cheap $20 tape recorder from radioshack and recorded each track seperately and no latency issues...
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there