I originally had Regular Slinky 10s and my high e string snapped. I went to buy new strings but i bought D'Addario 9s instead. If i take all the strings off my guitar(Jackson DXMG Dinky with Floyd Rose) and place the new ones on, will anything bad happen to my guitar? I need someone to tell me what to do
Last edited by JayKay12 at Mar 25, 2009,
Well first of all if you don't know about changing guages do you know how to set the intonation? And to answer your question it may warp a bit but if it does then you can adjust the truss rod a bit. Changing guages is fine as long as you switch between guages rediculously often. Another problem is having an old guitar with a low guage of strings and switching to a high guage of strings all of a sudden. Old guitars (especially ones put away for a long time) Have a tendency to warp more.
Quote by Gunpowder
C'mon, man. We're just kidding. We all know that drummers are important.

After all, without drummers, who would bag my groceries?

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Put him in your signature and help
(")_(") him on his way to world domination.
hey pal u need to replace each string 1 at a time starting with the one you broke and you should be fine, but i need to know what guitar you have just in case tell me that and you should be fine
it won't warp the neck. it might change the intonation a bit, but nothing a truss rod twist can't fix.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by Stuck_in_Limbo
hey pal u need to replace each string 1 at a time starting with the one you broke and you should be fine, but i need to know what guitar you have just in case tell me that and you should be fine

you obviously didnt read his whole post
Quote by Gunpowder

(\__/)
Thanks, but what's a truss rod? Will changing the "inotation" affect the feel of the guitar?
Quote by JayKay12
Thanks, but what's a truss rod? Will changing the "inotation" affect the feel of the guitar?

The truss rod is what's hidden under that little plate with the screws on the front of the headstock (not covered up on stratocasters so if you can get a picture of a strat headstock you'll see it) which can be tightened/loosened using an allen wrench (only make slight adjustments). And as for changing the intonation it will not affect the feel of hte guitar. The intonation is what makes it when you play an open string, then go to the 12th fret it's the same not but an octave higher. You need to adjust the intonation to make that 12th fret an octave higher than the open string. This only needs to be done usually when changing guages or rasing/lowering action.
Quote by Gunpowder

(\__/)
okay thanks, soo i should change the strings one by one and i should be pretty much set to play?
Replace One String At A Time.if You Take Them All Off You Will Have To Reset The Bridge As Far As Moving From 10's To 9's It Might Screw Up The The Intonation But My Guess Would Be Not Much.but Not Take All Strings Off At Once By My Experience With Similar Bridge Egde Pro Ibanez
It will be fine as long as you slowly unwind the strings one by one. You get into issues when you instantly cut the strings or leave the strings off for a really long time.
Quote by Stuck_in_Limbo

Umm, in all my years, I've never heard anyone say to replace each string as they snap. From what I've always been told is you need to replace all of your strings all at once. I mean you're already paying for the whole pack, so why not just replace five other strings. To answer the original question though, your guitar should be fine.
Easily the second best guitarist from Oklahoma City
Quote by thebasshacker
Umm, in all my years, I've never heard anyone say to replace each string as they snap. From what I've always been told is you need to replace all of your strings all at once. I mean you're already paying for the whole pack, so why not just replace five other strings. To answer the original question though, your guitar should be fine.

He means put the new string in the broken spot first. then take off the next old string and put the next new one on... lather rince and repeat lol
Quote by Gunpowder

(\__/)
Last edited by kingofdudes161 at Mar 25, 2009,
Thank you again. I think i messed up but i'll get over it. Thanks for helping everybody. And i think Stucj in Limbo ment when i'm changing all the string i should replace on string at a time

Yeah i messed up. My bridge is touching the inside of the guitar with a lot of pressure
Should i like put a battery or something under the bridge, take all the string off, replace all the strings and see what goes on there?
Quote by JayKay12
Thank you again. I think i messed up but i'll get over it. Thanks for helping everybody. And i think Stucj in Limbo ment when i'm changing all the string i should replace on string at a time

Yeah i messed up. My bridge is touching the inside of the guitar with a lot of pressure

Oh shoot forgot to take in the floyd rose part.
For that what you need to do is open the back of your guitar and you'll see two screws attached to where the springs go. These screws are going into the body. Now what you need to do is loosen up each screw going one turn at a time on each screw to keep it fairly even. This should relieve spring pressure leveling out the bridge. You want to keep loosening the screws until the bridge is level like it was before.

EDIT: Don't bother adjusting the screws until after you put the new strings on however.
Quote by Gunpowder

(\__/)
Last edited by kingofdudes161 at Mar 25, 2009,
ohh. lol. okay. should i just take all the old ones off and put the new ones on?