when playing eigth notes (1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & i play fine but when playing sixteen notes (1 e + a 2 e + a.....) i count it right but not in the same rhythm as the eigth notes. im not sure if you know what im talking about but any help would be appreciated
yeah count at a slower tempo

another reason could be that you might be counting like triplets of one and ungrouped notes of another
My last.fm
Quote by OMMad
i've always found pop to be harder to play than metal... especially shred metal... it's just really fast tremolo picking and the occasional palm mute... and the only chords you have to worry about are power chords...
u might be putting emphasis on the "e" of "1 e + a", because i just did when i read it. ha.

///EDIT

set the metronome(or ur foot) at a slow tempo and count 1&2& then count 1e+a and repeat until its easy.
*reported*... twice in one reply!

OH NOES!!! Theowy is scawY!!!
Last edited by allislost at Mar 25, 2009,
Take it at a mistake free tempo. Once you can play the rhythm perfectly, increase the speed slightly. Rinse wash repeat
I don't count in my head, I just feel it. it took me awhile though
this is a post. there are many like it but this one is mine

=======================

Taylor Big Baby
Agile 3100 CSB
Peavey classic 30/112
Okko Dominator, Big muff pi, cs3, dd3, ch1, ts9, ad9, classic wah
Quote by rockinrider55
Quarter = ta
Eighth = ta ka
Sixteenth = ta ka di mi
Triplet = ta ki ta

My new favorite way

I can't count in 1 e & a's - I've just been trying to work out why and I think part of it is the & is loner than the e and a....

If its not working for you, try something else, like rockinrider's version. Personally I use tu-ku and tu-ku-du but thats from playing wind instruments... Find what works for you.
Quote by samloeffer_17
metronome?

^^ great advice
Start off slow like 70 bpms on 16th notes

that is 4 strums on and between each click

Click, 2, 3, 4, Click
You could also play eighth notes at a faster tempo to synchronize your pick hand. If you're doing 8ths at 140, try them at 280. Then slow the metronome down to play 16ths at 140.

Or count 1-e-n-a, rather than pronoucing 'and'. If you linger on the 'and' it's like a dotted sixteenth.
Last edited by tagyoureit at Mar 26, 2009,
Quote by zhilla
I can't count in 1 e & a's - I've just been trying to work out why and I think part of it is the & is loner than the e and a....

If its not working for you, try something else, like rockinrider's version. Personally I use tu-ku and tu-ku-du but thats from playing wind instruments... Find what works for you.

It's good to be able to do both (or at least know about both), but I find the sounds are easier to hear the correct rhythm. I have also heard of piano teachers of young children using words with the syllables lined up to the beats (ex. strawberry = triplet, watermelon = sixteenth) but that might be a bit embarrassing

There is the 'proper' way classical students are usually taught I believe called Kodaly and is a tad different from the way I recommended. My version I believe is Indian and I find is easier to pronounce. Its ta-ka as opposed to the Kodaly system of ti-ti

Hope this helps you