So i've got this american fender strat. its got three single coils. i wanna upgrade my amp since my 15 watt frontman is utter ****. I like tube amps and particularly fender blues junior and the fender champ 15 watt tube amp. I dont care much for effects and i hate digital amps, but for someone who likes the sound of a gretsch, does anyone have any suggestions for amps i should try? I play in jam bands and play styles that range from blues, jazz, folk, grunge, to indie like stuff.
i might go to my local store tommorow and my price range is around 350$. If noone can help me ill probably get a fender champ since i liked the sound of it.
I'd look into a used Peavey Classic 30 if I were you.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

fender super champ XD

GET IT
i have, i like
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
Quote by Pr0gNut
I'd look into a used Peavey Classic 30 if I were you.

why didn't I think of that? >.<

Now you've gotten back up here with me after the whole zombie thing
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']why didn't I think of that? >.<

Now you've gotten back up here with me after the whole zombie thing

Lets just hope this thread doesn't suffer the same fate

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

I actuallly got my last post in right before it closed. like, I posted it, then refreshed the page and it said closed
im looking more for a combo amp. just wondering is there such an amp that plays bass as well as guitar. i might still get a champ although i am digging the peavey classic 30s looks. ill play one and hopefully there will be a used one.
Unless you manage to find Tony Iommi's old Orange amp he used in the early days of Black Sabbath, don't even try looking for an amp that does both guitar and bass
Quote by Giblets
im looking more for a combo amp. just wondering is there such an amp that plays bass as well as guitar.

Oldschool Fender Bassmans, most Sunn amps, and a few others, the main issue isn't with the amp, it's with the cab. You can use pretty much any guitar amp with a bass as long as you run it through a bass cab.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']I actuallly got my last post in right before it closed. like, I posted it, then refreshed the page and it said closed

I loved the mods comment of "It sure is moron in here today".

Anyway,the classic 30 would probably be your best bet at that price range.It can cover a lot of styles and has enough volume for band situations.A used Carvin belair or nomad combo might be worth looking into as well.

thanks, kid thorazine. i think im going with the champ. an amp i already played and know i can afford and know i like. i wont really need a cabinet for a bit, but can you plug a combo amp like a champ into a cabinet. i never knew how heads and cabinets really work. my friends runs his cab through a 5w tube amp which i always wondered about.
Save up and go for a Fender Twin Reverb. You can a used one in good condition for as cheap as $600 if you're patient.

In my opinion, it is one of the 3 holy grails of guitar tone. The neck pickup of a strat through one is pure tonegasm.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Quote by Giblets
thanks, kid thorazine. i think im going with the champ. an amp i already played and know i can afford and know i like. i wont really need a cabinet for a bit, but can you plug a combo amp like a champ into a cabinet. i never knew how heads and cabinets really work. my friends runs his cab through a 5w tube amp which i always wondered about.

most better combos will have a speaker out jack for hooking up a cab, don't know about that specific amp though.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Oldschool Fender Bassmans, most Sunn amps, and a few others, the main issue isn't with the amp, it's with the cab. You can use pretty much any guitar amp with a bass as long as you run it through a bass cab.

Try running a bass through a tube amp and tell me your tubes don't completely fry themselves.
as long as i know you can hook up a good combo to a cab. and yeah twin reverbs are nice, i dont have the patience to spend 600 and i doubt ill find one that cheap. i also like the tones of the mesas. Can a 100w solid state amp get louder than a 15 watt tube amp say both of them being fenders. i dont know much about amps at all considering the years ive been playing ive just had a fender frontman
PAul Gilbert had a converter on his old Laneys when he did the soloing on the bass for the live version of Godzilla from the Snowball of Doom dvd. Converters are the onyl way to play a bass through it without risking your tubes.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']Try running a bass through a tube amp and tell me your tubes don't completely fry themselves.

I do it on a daily basis... my tubes last about 2 years on average.

I have to say I've never heard of playing a bass through a guitar amp blowing the tubes.

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 25, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
most better combos will have a speaker out jack for hooking up a cab, don't know about that specific amp though.

yea, they have a 'line out' jack, for ataching another speaker
i just gotta keep looking and playing em, but im looking for w.e i can afford that sounds loud and good at the same time. i need a good clean sound and wouldnt like digital effects although the champs effects are pretty awesome.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']if you have a converter, it's understandable, but I don't see how otherwise.

Nope I run my amp(s) stock (except for my Aims has a reverb circuit added, but that wouldn't affect this.)

I've done it with a few other amps too, it's never been a problem.

Last.fm
Quote by Giblets
i just gotta keep looking and playing em, but im looking for w.e i can afford that sounds loud and good at the same time. i need a good clean sound and wouldnt like digital effects although the champs effects are pretty awesome.

delay,reverb,chorus, and trmolo arent really bad effects to have in an amp, i rarely use them, and if i do, its only delay, and it does it quite good

and all the amp voicings are fender amps, so they sound pretty legit.
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']o.O teach me?!

I honestly don't even see how what you're describing could happen, since most bass amps are almost identical to guitar amps in terms of circuitry, except for the EQ section.

Last.fm
Yo, check out my message to you.
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6
Quote by Giblets

Twin Reverb falls into this so badly (sorry for the double post it was necessary)
My Gear:
Guitars:

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Boss DD-6