I've been playing guitar for a year now, i would consider myself decent like a 1 maybe 2/10 10 being someone extremely famous haha.. I never had enough patience or long enough attention span to learn a whole song. However on the other hand I've written ALOT of decent material. I've written lost of blues, and rock stuff. What i need help with is expanding my solos out of the Bluesy rock scale patterns, and putting in more variety. One more thing is that i need help with metal solos, i've come up with alot of riffs etc, but i have no clue where to start with agressive distorted metal solos.

Would apreciate any help THXS
I know EXACTLY how you feel. when i started, i had no attention span whatsoever, but learned that you gotta learn a few songs just for the sake of learning. I would just look up scales and memorize them my friend.
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Anger is an emotion utilize it.in all seriousness, learn some more scales like the hungarian scales or harmonic minor scales.
no its true i see herman li saddling up a dragon as we speak.
also, if you misspell improv again, your next child will be born retarded

an argument over the blues ^^
Quote by dehollister
I've been playing guitar for a year now, i would consider myself decent like a 1 maybe 2/10 10 being someone extremely famous haha.. I never had enough patience or long enough attention span to learn a whole song. However on the other hand I've written ALOT of decent material. I've written lost of blues, and rock stuff. What i need help with is expanding my solos out of the Bluesy rock scale patterns, and putting in more variety. One more thing is that i need help with metal solos, i've come up with alot of riffs etc, but i have no clue where to start with agressive distorted metal solos.

Would apreciate any help THXS

For a half decent metal solo you basically take a decent blues solo and play it faster and with wider, more agressive vibrato. However I'm assuming you mean the more neo-classical style so you should listen to lots of players like Marty Friedman, Yngwie Malmsteen, Jason Becker, Paul Gilbert and guys like that, look at their solos and phrasing and try to apply that to what you're doing.

Edit:

More scales will NOT help. More 'metal' phrasing is what you need.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Learn the modes and how to apply them. Sounds like you were in the same boat as i was a few months back. That will take you a while to do, but its worth it in the long run. Learn the harmonic minor scale as well. If you notice most solos revolve around a central 'idea' find that idea, usually within the melody of the song to begin with. Make sure you're in the same key as well. From there its all creativity.
Wow stupid me. For reg solos scales, but phrasing is important for metal. forgot to mention that
Fender 72 Tele Thinline (my baby)
Gibson SG Special Faded
ESP LTD M-1000
Peavy Vk 112
Boss GT-10
Quote by guitargod131
Learn the modes and how to apply them.

Wont help with the central problem which is PHRASING. Phrasing is essentially the difference between most genres of music; there are only 12 notes after all.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The best way to learn to write solos is to not even have the guitar in your hands. Listen to your backing and THINK of a solo in your head, then sing it. You need to teach yourself to think in terms of sound rather than just picking up the guitar and going through the motions.

This isn't really about the guitar - the guitar is incidental. It's simply about harnessing your creative abilities. To create something you first need an idea, whether you're trying to create a guitar solo, a painting or an oil tanker. Once you've got the idea you need to realise - now your voice is the most direct instrument you possess, it's initially far easier to get your ideas out in the open that way. There's several steps between your brain and the sound that comes out of your guitar and dealing with all those makes it a lot harder to create what's in your head.

Obviosuly the more you do things the better you get at them, but for the time being you just want to focus on getting your ideas out in the open and the guitar is just going to get in the way at this early stage.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Mar 26, 2009,
Really. try humming a solo idea on to a tape recorder and then figuring it out on your guitar. This really helps avoid playing the same scales/patterns I usually use. Also, remember phrasing is very important. Its not all about speed.