ok I am a guitar player, and my friend and I both play in drop b for our band, we just got a bassist and he plays a 5 string, we are wondering to follow drop b do you tune B F# B E G ro because the 5th string is already tuned to b, keep it in standard, B E A D G? If you could let us know it would be a great help, thanks.
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
well... If you got some light bass strings, the bassist could probably tune up to the Drop B tuning, but it'd be better to keep that bass in standard.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
no....to match drop b he would have to tune to the bottom 5 string on the guitar. i play in drop a but i use a 7 and our bassist just drops the b to an a and bam done.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
If you were going down that route, I would say get a 6 string set, discard the E string, and tune the following:

B stays the same
A down 1 1/2 steps to F#
D down 1 1/2 steps to B
G down 1 1/2 steps to E
C down 1 1/2 steps to A

With a heavy gauge set- I personally prefer tuning strings down 1 1/2 steps as opposed to tuning them up a step, e.g E -> F#- a lot of tension there.

Or he could just stay in standard, it's up to him.
sorry to say tho... im a drop tuning this low, we dont really find our bassist necessary until there are harmonized solos where the bassist needs to just keep the backing notes. other than that you can't even hear him....we're thinking of just dropping a bassist all together

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
You'll lose a lot if you get rid of your bassist- Meshuggah wouldn't nearly be the same without their bassist. When you go that low, you really, REALLY feel the bass, especially live. In Flames play in drop A, and the bass is perfectly fine in the mix.
I know you can never really hear the bassist in really heavy metal stuff, but he's a crazy MFer so were going to keep him just for that, and hes a good friend of ours
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
i dont really care for in flames anymore, but since we don't really play huge stadiums or anything, we don't feel the need for a bassist anymore and since he signed up for ROTC, he's not gonna be with us for 4 years, and we don't necessary want another person to split the bill with when he would basically play stripped down versions of what we guitarists do (for now anyway, he's not that great a bassist and doesn't know much theory. i usually have to make up a bassline for him). Im not saying the bassist isn't integral in other bands, just not ours.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400