Simply put, I have a strat copy. While it was heavier than a good Les Paul, I recall it having decent tone, but it's high E tuning key broke, so it's been in disrepair for a while. A new set of tuners would bring it back to life, but at the same time it'd be money away from a new guitar, which I'm saving for right now. So, UG, do you think it's worth it?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
if you like the guitar then go ahead and do it
but if your really holding out for a good new guitar
then keep the money
Jackson JS1 Dinky
Livingstone 15W
Behringer Super Metal Pedal

No,they're to high end for me.I usually just walk into a random building and scream "FIX MY BANJO NOW!!!!" until they hit me with sticks and call the police.
which guitar will help you more for what you want to do? the one you have or the one you're saving for?
id recomend saving up for a new one. After you get the new one, then maybe put a couple bucks on restoring the old one. Beleive me i practice on my walmart strat all the time hahah
tuners arent that expensive man...

and it was heavier than your les paul? really? thats weird brosef.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Hey! Now you can molest you're grandma and she won't remember! Score!!!

Gear:
Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass
Fender V Jazz
Ashdown MAG 410
EH Bass Big MUff
MXR Bass Octave Deluxe
Digitech Synth Wah
Tuners can be cheap and good. Splurge a little, get some tuners.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']which guitar will help you more for what you want to do? the one you have or the one you're saving for?

Well, as you know the other guitar is looking to be an ESP Les Paul copy, but my friend managed to link some videos that make me suddenly want a 1960's strat bad, likely one of the 1980's MIJ reissues used off eBay. My band seems to be going in a metal/Classic Rock/Prog direction, but I can get a fine metal tone from my current setup(Sig doesn't have it since it wouldn't fit, but I recently added a nice $100 distortion pedal), and there are plenty of bands that use both in both of the other genres. The ESP is cheaper, but we both know the quality of a 1980's MIJ Fender. Between that and the strat copy, it'd probably be good to have a second strat if I get the ESP, but if I get the 60's strat, I just see no point in the strat copy.

Quote by Tatersalad1080
tuners arent that expensive man...

and it was heavier than your les paul? really? thats weird brosef.

Aye, but in this economy every dollar counts sadly. ><

And agreed, I'd love to strip the finish and check the wood.

Last edited by necrosis1193 at Mar 25, 2009,
If the copy has what you want and it sounds good, go for it dude
It may be worth some money in the future too.

MIJ = cummy mess
[quote="'[VictorinoX"]']If the copy has what you want and it sounds good, go for it dude
It may be worth some money in the future too.

MIJ = cummy mess

Hmm...alright, that just leaves my mind with the question of ESP Les Paul or 60's strat once I get the new guitar.

Why have a bunch of strats??? You have one plus a broken one and you're looking to buy a new guitar. Why, oh why would you get virtually the same guitar that you already have without selling the one you already have? *sigh* I just bought a guitar (coming soon so excited lol) and since I already have an ESP, I refrained from getting virtually the same guitar, and got an Ibanez. Why don't you do the same? Plus, you do know that an ESP WILL sound better doing metal than your strat, right?

On topic, if you've already got a good guitar and are getting a new one, wait to buy tuners...or don't ever do it.
That's actually a pretty decent point...I suppose I'll go for the ESP for now, and see where things go as far financially as whether or not I repair the strat copy.

Quote by necrosis1193
That's actually a pretty decent point...I suppose I'll go for the ESP for now, and see where things go as far financially as whether or not I repair the strat copy.

??? You... agree? My purpose is vindicated! Necrosis agrees! Yay! xD
Actually this interests me in that its heavier then your standard lp. To me this means that it might be made of hard maple/walnut or at least mahogany looking at its weight. If so than you may be able to get a pretty killer sound with just a couple upgrades as opposed to buying a new guitar. (The tuners for sure and possibly new pickups depending on whats in it already)

That would of course be much cheaper but if you would prefer a new guitar anyways than go for it. My vote would be for the ESP for more variation.
I'd upgrade it with spare cash,but I wouldn't chip into my new gear funds just to fix up an old copy TBH.You can always shell out for new tuners since they're pretty cheap,even for high end locking sperzels.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.