how many songs should a all origional band have before playing shows?
haha thats my question how long would that be? obv ive never played a show soyeahh haha
Generally about ten songs, give or take.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
It depends how long your songs are.

Punk - about 10
Metal - about 6 or 7
Swedish Death Metal - very few
Dave Mustaine is a Joke

Quote by strat0blaster
Why don't you just all jam and see what comes out

That wat she said!!!!!!!!!!!

Watch Jason Newsted pisses off James Hetfield on YouTube.
30 minutes is usually the bare minimum set. Unless it's a ****ty battle of the bands or something.
my band has like 7.

we've had like, 30, but weve just rotated all of them out with member changes and such.

we only play a 5 song set.

but we're metalcore. fills up about a half hour with talking in between. as long as you dont play the same place every week a solid 5-7 songs will get you pretty far.
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
We started gigging on 4 and quite a long cover and that wasn noway near long enough, we have otherwise done gigs rotating the songs we have basically every gig doing something different.

I would reccommend 7 in a set but 9-10 if you want to start with rotating the songs
Wow some places around Hamilton New Zealand require at least 2 hrs worth at the minimum
But they may not offer 2hr sets though, for opening/support bands that is unreassonable at any level of music and gives less precidents to a headline act
Bare minimum of 30 minutes (8 songs or so), though it needs to be at least an hour for pub work etc.
Even top originals bands usually pad out their set with a cover or two. Learn a few cover songs relevant to your style, and try and do them in your own way rather than note-for-note copies.
Quote by aquagrave
Wow some places around Hamilton New Zealand require at least 2 hrs worth at the minimum

For an original band? Seriously, unless you're AC/DC or something, very few people want to sit through two hours of the same band's songs. I mean, really.... how many bands out there - even recording acts now and long gone - have two hours of really good songs?

I saw one concert - The Refreshments, Age of Electric, and Killjoys, with Killjoys headlining. The first two bands came out and rocked the house with 45-minute sets. The Killjoys played for probably an hour and a half, and for the last 20 minutes or so, they lost (literally) 2/3 of their audience - and they were a recording act with a gold record and two major label releases! They would have been WAY better off playing a 45-60 minute set themselves and leaving the audience while they were still interested and wanting more.

... and some no-name original band is going to play for 2hrs?

On the other side of the coin, if you're a cover band, around here, the basic minimum standard is to play three 45-minute sets. The bar wants to keep people dancing and drinking until last call.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Yeah thats probaly why we have an abundance of cover bands here. Personally i would not sit through two hrs of the same original band either
Quote by axemanchris
For an original band? Seriously, unless you're AC/DC or something, very few people want to sit through two hours of the same band's songs. I mean, really.... how many bands out there - even recording acts now and long gone - have two hours of really good songs?

I saw one concert - The Refreshments, Age of Electric, and Killjoys, with Killjoys headlining. The first two bands came out and rocked the house with 45-minute sets. The Killjoys played for probably an hour and a half, and for the last 20 minutes or so, they lost (literally) 2/3 of their audience - and they were a recording act with a gold record and two major label releases! They would have been WAY better off playing a 45-60 minute set themselves and leaving the audience while they were still interested and wanting more.

... and some no-name original band is going to play for 2hrs?

On the other side of the coin, if you're a cover band, around here, the basic minimum standard is to play three 45-minute sets. The bar wants to keep people dancing and drinking until last call.

CT

Congratulations, you just made me feel my age.
The difference between us, is nagging everyone.

I don't suppose you remember Static in Stereo?
hehe well with my new band yesterday we played only 4 (we were goin to play 5 actually bt i canceled the love me do)
lol we played 4 rock'nroll or hard rocknroll/bluesy songs...
took for 45 minutes or so.. we had loads of solos

hmm bt not bad actually,.... we practiced the songs only for 2 days. and out to the stage!!!
lol
Last edited by vigenharutyunya at Mar 28, 2009,
ok thanks guys. im not ready for shows then haha. i knew that anyways i just wanted to see how close i am.
Quote by koslack
Congratulations, you just made me feel my age.
The difference between us, is nagging everyone.

I don't suppose you remember Static in Stereo?

I remember the name, but can't place the songs. Since we're on the subject, though, it wasn't Age of Electric... it was the Kerns brothers' side-project called Limblifter, but they did do Ugly.

CT

Quote by axemanchris

Around here in my college towns, each bar has about 3 bands a week play and they all have to play till last call (1am) and they start around 10, some start at 10:30, and occasionally 11. They get a 15 minute break or so but that's still a long set. This why i find it weird when people on these forums bash cover bands. In order to entertain a crowd of college kids at a bar and in order to get gigs in this town, they'd much rather here me play something like catchy that they recognize other than an original they never heard of.... especially when it's 2+ hours... every now and then in the set it's good to throw in some originals or some songs that your band just has a lot of fun playing but when it comes down to it you have to realize your being used to sell beer and your money and future in that bar relies on making them happy.
Quote by axemanchris

I remember the name, but can't place the songs. Since we're on the subject, though, it wasn't Age of Electric... it was the Kerns brothers' side-project called Limblifter, but they did do Ugly.

CT

Turmoil...Tinfoil...
Old Canadian dudes, that's what we are.
Static in Stereo was another AOE shoot-off, they had one song that was decent called Before My Time (I think), check it out.
And on that note, I'm gonna go listen to IME's Scenery and Fish for 4 hours straight.
As many as you want to, but you have to have atleast 30+ minutes of material, and you have to have it down tight.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
My Band play up to 6 Songs in 15 Minuites xD
But then We do this Improvisation instrumental for like.. 10 xD

We're a Punk band like The Misfits and the Ramones

Reason for the 6 in 15 minuites :]

OmNomNom!

Yhbbz