ok i'm a guitarist and got a question for all the bass players....my bassist is on the lookout for a new amp and cab. i'm wondering what to look for. money is really no object since we both'll be going in on it. but i was wondering what the local favs was. Solid State or Tubes, and what brands or good for each? he's currently using a behringer half stack(we both can attest to how BAD they are and we're not going to make this mistake again). hes not into the low end of things he likes his sound on high end of the eq spectrum. any suggestions?
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
well, im not a bassist, so i cant recemend an amp.
howerver, you can go to your local shop and ask the salesperson for help. if he's not a complete douche, he should be able to help you. and you'll be able to get a price and get to hear it right away.
Tell him to check out the Gallien Krueger line, seems like it would fit his criteria
Heads- 700rb, 800rb, 1001rb, Fusion 550
Cabs- SBX, RBH, RBX series
cool thanks any other suggestions
fender aerodyne jazz bass>mxr el grande bass fuzz>boss odb-3>dunlop crybaby bass wah>randall rba 500 es/ampeg 8x10
tubes are great for a deep sound. i use a tube amp for that. they can do bright tones too but there's no reason to pay the price for such an amp and have to change out tubes if he doesn't want that sort of tone. SS does bright just as well if not better than any tube amp i've played.

If you're on a budget Carvin bass amps are known for being top quality for relatively cheap. While you can't play before you buy they are known to be very transparent amps(they sound like your bass and eq, not like an ampeg which will mostly just have that ampeg tone). They are highly versatile and have lots of tone shaping knobs and also I believe all of their models have a footswitchable graphic eq. Also, there is return period where you can send the amp back for a full refund(probably not shipping but i've never looked) if you don't like it. But i've never heard of anyone not liking their carvin amp.

Avatar is also a good brand to look into for cabs on a budget. High quality stuff for cheap. I believe they use celestion speakers but not sure.

I'm a big fan of Peavey amps and they are built like tanks. No worries about them breaking down in the middle of a gig except for the rare exception as any amp will have. Currently my amp is out of commission but it's a tube amp and may very well be just a preamp tube gone out.

I highly recommend going to a store and trying as many amps as possible, of course.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by ikarian-pride
well, im not a bassist, so i cant recemend an amp.
howerver, you can go to your local shop and ask the salesperson for help. if he's not a complete douche, he should be able to help you. and you'll be able to get a price and get to hear it right away.

Do this at GC, and you will end up with an ampeg. Not a bad choice, but not what you're looking for. Acoustic gets good marks in this forum, and GK is good too. I like Markbass, but that's just me.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
I second the idea of looking into acoustic amps. They are also known as transparent amps and aren't too bad on your wallet either. And the plus here is you can play before you buy.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
wow thanks for the input dudes keep em coming