Hey UGers,

Like many, I love cranking my amp. To my ears, it sounds a WORLD better when cranked. I can't even enjoy the tone unless the volume is at least above 6.

But I honestly can't even bring the volume past 3 or 4 on my amp without pissing off my room mate, hardly heats up the tubes properly.

So anyways, I've been looking on eBay and I always see these $15 or so "Volume Boxes" that supposedly give you the tone of your amp when it's cranked without getting it too loud.

Do they work? Because $15 for a tiny little off-brand box that supposedly does what other attentuators in the hundreds of dollars range do sounds really dodgy to me.
Gear:
-Krank Krankenstein JR 50W
-Orange PPC112 w/ Celestion Vintage 30
-Gibson Les Paul Studio (white)
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
What do you honestly think?
Exactly...

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
It is dodgy. All it will do is give you more preamp gain. Basically it's another master volume control, seeing as your amp already has one it will be a bit redundant.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Basically what they do is bring down the preamp volume a ton, allowing you to turn up the power amp louder to drive it harder. It's not an attenuator per se but definitely lets you crank the volume more. But keep in mind that it only works if you have an effects loop.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
Quote by stradivari310
Basically what they do is bring down the preamp volume a ton, allowing you to turn up the power amp louder to drive it harder. It's not an attenuator per se but definitely lets you crank the volume more. But keep in mind that it only works if you have an effects loop.

Yes, but it won't drive the power amp harder. If there's a less signal from the pre amp then the power amp isn't driven as hard.
Quote by Kevin Saale
Yes, but it won't drive the power amp harder. If there's a less signal from the pre amp then the power amp isn't driven as hard.

Oh, I had thought that by turning up the master volume, even with less volume from the preamp, it opens the power section of the amp up more. It works that way on my Classic 50, which sounds better when the master is cranked and the individual channel volumes are used.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

^You'd basically be doing the same thing with the volume box.
So if I want something that isn't dodgy and I know for a FACT will work in giving me the tone my amp cranked without pissing off the roomie, what do you guys recommend?
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
So they do help a little bit, just not much. An attenuator is definitely better, especially the ones made by Weber, which are quite a bit cheaper than the Marshall Powerbrake (or whatever its called) and the THD Hotplate.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Set up a reamping rig. It's pretty much the best way.
Aww.. So in the end you just can't get the cranked amp sound without really well, cranking the amp can you?
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Pretty much. The cheapest options are attenuators and re amping rigs. You can build an isolation room to record it in, but that's high dollar stuff there.
It's nothing more than a master volume control for non MV amps
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Ah I see. Yeah getting sound foam for all the walls would help I suppose, but that stuff is pricey and I don't even know if it works.

Thank you all very much for the help, I'm glad I didn't get ahead of myself and buy some expensive attentuator only to be disappointed.
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
there is cheap stuff that is the same as sound foam.
you can also use egg cartons
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION

Attenuators aren't terrible when you aren't attenuating a lot, but bringing a cranked head like that to bedroom volumes, that will sound bad.
It basically just turns a non master volume into a master volume amp. Allowing you to crank the hell out of the preamp and catch it before it gets to the power amp there for cutting the volume down to a reasonable level. Its a really good trick if you play alot of metal which uses little to no power amp saturation and a ton of preamp saturation. I use my ernie ball volume pedal and eq for this all the time. But if its power tube saturation its not gonna be your thing.

But don't cheap out get a pedal or eq its worth the cash.
Ah, alright I see. Well I guess I just have to hope that my roomie will become a big enough fan of my playing to allow me to play at 10 haha.

Thanks again mates, it helped loads!
Gear:
-Gibson Flying V
-MXR Carbon Copy
-Digitech Whammy
-Digitech JamMan
-Boss SD-1
-Epiphone Hummingbird
Considering its 20 bucks doubtful its going to do the exact same job as a couple hundred dollar attenuator. If it did then doubtful there would be any companies making attenuators.