My band and I were thinking about covering some songs from more obscure bands, mainly some Boxelder or Orange Grove or some less well known Fishbone. I was wondering if covers that not many people may know would be a hit or miss, probably because the whole point of a cover is for people to recognize the song, right?
Are you playing for you, or are you playing for an audience? What do you think *they* want to hear?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by Blind In 1 Ear
well even if they dont know it that can fine. it worked out well with jimi hendrix with hey joe. most people think its his song but its not. so it might help you out if people like it.

Hendrix was given a song by his manager on the assumption that it would be a hit when re-worked in his style. This was common in the industry back then, when much fewer artists wrote their own material. You see it today with pop stars. For instance, the Pussycat Doll's 'Dontcha' was originally written for another singer, and it was released as a single, but failed to chart. So the publisher of the song gave it to them, and it became a huge hit.
Anyway, the point is, it's not a great example as a) this band clearly isn't at the level where Hendrix was when Hey Joe came out (signed to a label, much underground buzz internationally, professional management). At this point, the point of covers in your set should be to make the crowd remember you. Obscure covers aren't terrible, but it kind of defeats the purpose.
If you want to play a song that YOU want to play for fun and not just get people's attention, then play an obscure one. If you really want attention (not a bad thing!) then play something well known but not too well known.
Depends on what the song is

It doesen't realy matter what band it is as long as you sound well good playing the song it is fine
Go for it, test it out. If it doesn't get the response you where looking you can aways change the set list for next time.
do it.

if no one in the crowd knows what it is, they might think its an original. haha
Guitars
Schecter Omen 6
Agile LP 2500
Kramer RR V
Amp
Peavey 6505
4x12 with Eminence Screamin' Eagles
Others
Mogami Cables
Korg DTR-1000
Furman M-8 Power Conditioner
MXR Smartgate
BBE Sonic Maximizer
My Band
www.myspace.com/gdbr
Lol I know where you are coming from. I wanted to cover Break Me Down by Alter Bridge but the guys were like "not that many people know who they are" so we ended up going with The Red by Chevelle and jumped on the Skynyrdwagon and did our version of Simple Man. I just wanted to have fun doing a song I enjoyed, but all in all I guess the other guys were right, the point of a cover is to play something people know so they can get into it.
There are a whole bunch of weird songs I'd love to cover, but I've had to get past it and accept that our point in playing covers is to keep as many people excited and interested in the show as possible. Meaning, songs that everyone knows.
Gear:

JCM 900 w/Lead 1960 cab
Custom Aria Pro II w/coil splits and phase changer (my baby!)
Schecter Omen 6 w/upgraded coil split Duncans
Pile o' pedals
It depends on your audiance. At this point, my band just plays any covers because our audinances gnerally have not heard the songs . Seriously, nobody knows when we cover Peace Sells that it's over played
It's a great idea if people don't know it they'll think it's yours and if they do know it they'll give you more respect for it
Check Out My songs
Empty
Cardboard Steel

Quote by GrisKy
i think carmen electra would be a good band leader. i'd stay in the band just 'cause she's hot.
If it's a good song that you like to play and you make it abundantly clear it's a cover I don't see the harm.