I want another RG, but I was thinking of something a little different. I was thinking of going for a 7-String just for some different options. I don't play modern metal like most 7-stringers, but Vai plays one so I can see it has more uses than that. Does anyone know of any other people who play 7-string guitars who don't play modern metal. Are 7-strings worth it if you don't play metal?
http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG1527M
Quote by JELIFISH19
I want another RG, but I was thinking of something a little different. I was thinking of going for a 7-String just for some different options. I don't play modern metal like most 7-stringers, but Vai plays one so I can see it has more uses than that. Does anyone know of any other people who play 7-string guitars who don't play modern metal. Are 7-strings worth it if you don't play metal?
http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RG1527M

I play a seven all the time,but rarely use it for metal.I play a lot of classical inspired blues and progressive clean stuff,and mine works great for it.Something about the wider neck and narrower string spacing makes it feel great for fast progressions,arpeggios,scales,and so on.IMO they're very worth it,simply for the added options the low B provides.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

They're definitely worth it. It doesn't subtract anything from the guitar's capabilities, it only maintains and adds things.
I play with D'Addario 10/52s on standard tuning. I noticed that 7-string string sets don't come anywhere close to that guage. Is it possible to put on a regular set of 10/52s and get a 7th string separate without anything bad happening?
Quote by JELIFISH19
I play with D'Addario 10/52s on standard tuning. I noticed that 7-string string sets don't come anywhere close to that guage. Is it possible to put on a regular set of 10/52s and get a 7th string separate without anything bad happening?

That is what most 7 players do anyway, the calibrated sets from Ernie ball etc are just not balanced well enough, i use 10-52's + 66 in standard tuning.

...and on actually using the 7th string, you can use it in a number of ways, to me it just makes more sense with position shifts etc, i can get around the neck much quicker when i have the option to fret on the low string. Also the chordal ideas are fantastic, being able to add real depth to chords not easily reachable on a 6 string.

It's not written that 7's translate to metal exclusively, have a play about with the options availible to you.
I also don't have an amp right now, which is a whole different problem. But do you think I should wait to get the amp or get the guitar first. Right now I'm playing through my GT-10. I don't want to get an amp that works great with 6-strings and is terrible with 7. I'm probably going to get the Carvin Legacy II so I can't test it before (but I can return it if I don't like it).
i don't know where to find it, but you can play Linus and Lucy(Peanuts theme) on a seven.
You said Blues, know any artist i could look up?
I'm also interested in other people who play 7-strings besides Petrucci and Vai. How do alternate tunings work? Like if I want to play in drop D, what do I do with the 7th string? Would I just go back to my 6-string for that?
no, either admit the string, or drop it. Also if you tune the low string to an A instead of a B you have an awesome drop tuning.

Rusty Cooley uses one i think....
How does the band situation work with a 7-string? Is it best to form a band around the idea of using ERGs so you can actually play the same thing to make the band sound fuller? Do 5-string basses work better?
not everyone has to have the same things, almost better if they don't. You don't need more than one guitarist that can go down that low, they may want to, but you don't need it. As for five string basses, they sound awesome anyways, and might be a good idea.
i play a 7 string and i'm not a lick of metal.

www.myspace.com/tasharg

a 7 string lets you get a lot more creative and build more on ideas. i find they have wider better tones too.
but yeah
7 string works for any genre
I hate you for that. You made me want it even more. I love your music. It was wonderful. You just boosted my interest for ERGs 10 fold. After I get my amp and the 7-string. I think may have to get an 8-string too. Thanks for inspiring me.
Quote by saturnine1
i play a 7 string and i'm not a lick of metal.

www.myspace.com/tasharg

a 7 string lets you get a lot more creative and build more on ideas. i find they have wider better tones too.
but yeah
7 string works for any genre

wow, i like your music....AND you're from seattle!

where exactly in seattle are you located?